Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The LAST thing I do before I leave the house is get dressed!!
YES, and keep the closet doors shut too!

Before I married I had a new boyfriend over to my place for dinner. When he stood to leave, I was mortified to see the back of his pants was totally covered in cat hair.

Our romatic evening ended with me frantically MiracleBrushing his butt. :sad:
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:27 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Hey LuckyRescue, great idea to get your hands on his bod !!! IF I ever get a date, I will make sure that Champ has rolled all over the sofa before he arrives
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Just in case anybody want to know there is a vacuum cleaner that really does pick up dog and cat hair it is actually amazing. It is made my Dyson and I think it is called the animal it is not cheap but it has a great warranty with it. A friend of mine in Texas has 3 Mastiffs and she got one about a year ago and phoned me to tell me about her new vacuum she went on for 10 minutes about this thing.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Our romatic evening ended with me frantically MiracleBrushing his butt.

SUUUUURE it did!!! LOL sounds like a good trick to me, I must remember that one!!!

As for vacuums...I'm stuck on the Dirt Devil "Bagless Power" or whatever it's called, the one with no bags and a hepa filter...it's great!! and very powerful!! With our gang I ws going through too many bags ($$$ especially for centralvac!!! ugh) and then we moved so I just have an upright and I gotta say...pretty good!!

Other than that, let's just say that we have so much pethair I find you just kind of "give up" at a point. We also have many "hair chairs" and we know where they are and we'll just say "NOOO don't sit there!!" because His/Her Majesty has been napping there for the last three days.....LOL

....guess they have us well trained......
Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I give Den-Den haircuts while he sits on my lap in the living room! I use the fine slanted wire tooth brush (slicker) to just pick it up and never have a hair problem. Must be the texture thing!
Old January 4th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Had to Add To This

I loved reading all your posts on pet hair!! Hilarious!! I just had to add my 2 cents. I happened upon this thread searching for ideas on how to get pet hair off of stuff. I keep thinking there is some miracle product/method out there that I haven't tried yet!! Ha! Looks like I've tried em all!!
I did read some suggestions that are just not an option such as don't allow your pets on the furniture. Sorry but the pets rule in this house and they can go anywhere they like!!
As for those having problems with hair not coming off of clothes even after washing. I find that I have to use the dryer. I used to always hang dry my clothes but with 2 dogs and 3 cats now it is just not an option anymore. I find most of the hair will come off in the dryer. I use liquid fabric softener in the washer as well as dryer sheets or as someone else suggested, a bit of liquid softener on a cloth thrown in the dryer.
If anyone has any ideas out there for the best fabric for car seat covers please let me know. Right now I am thinking the best option is to leave the house with garbage bags and put those on the seats!!!
And to finish I'd like to say that we fondly refer to our home as The House of Hair!!

Old January 4th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

As far as I am concerned nothing says warmth like sleeping on a fur coated bed . everyone that comes to my house knows that they will leave covered with love...
My poor father actually witnessed my 7 year old (2 at the time) cough up a hair ball...unbeknown to all my son (who put everything in his mouth) got a hold of one of my cats hair knots and was chewing it like a gum and when I asked him to spit it out ...well out came the wet hair ball..never lived it down
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I use liquid fabric softener in the washer as well as dryer sheets or as someone else suggested, a bit of liquid softener on a cloth thrown in the dryer.
Make sure one or both are scent-free or you will have some strong smelling clothes!! (I double softened my curtains with vanilla fleecy and hoowee, did they stink!)
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Shedding and dog hair. Just another reason to love my squishfaces, lots of haircuts but little shedding. I think I'm gloating here but I can't help it.

Spelling is an option

Last edited by Bushfire2000; January 5th, 2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:16 AM

Re: Double fabric softener

Sorry, I shouldn't assume everyone uses unscented products!!
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy33
If anyone has any ideas out there for the best fabric for car seat covers please let me know. Right now I am thinking the best option is to leave the house with garbage bags and put those on the seats!!!
We got a new car that my wife drives, and her not being a "car" person, just wanted the cheapest thing she could find. It actually doesn't look too bad. She bought it at Canadian tire (just one, since the back seats and one middle one are folded down, and the other one has a baby seat in it). It's some sort of polyester/vinyl blend I think. It doesn't look bad, and it's actually kind of comfortable. It's not the SpongeBob one that I tried to buy for her, but it's okay...
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM
-

Don't bother to try and remove the hair prior to washing/drying. Hairs have woven their way into your clothes and will get pulled out back to the surface while being washed/dried. I have a black sweater that I used to wear at work(don't ask), anyway it would get covered in hair. I would spend about 20 min removing the hair with one of the rollers before I could wear it. If I did this before the wash I would still have to do it again after.
As for the fabric sheets, there are now actual fabric ones that are re-usable and are not scented.
Not having a lint trap makes it worse because the hair that comes out during the dry doesn't have anywhere to go but back onto your clothes.
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Thanks

Thanks Schwinn for the suggestion on seat covers of vinyl. That is kinda what we were thinking. Something that the hairs can't stick to at all. We have a CTC near here so I will check it out.

Quote:
Originally posted by StaceyB
As for the fabric sheets, there are now actual fabric ones that are re-usable and are not scented.
I did not know this. Do you know the brand name or manufacturer of these re-usable sheets?
Thanks.

Last edited by Izzy33; April 17th, 2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

In the old car, my wife had ones that were just vinyl, they were kind of uncomfortable. The new one is some type of blend. It kind of reminds me of the liner in a winter coat.

The other alternative is using my wife's strategy, and taking hubby's car when she wants to take the dog anywhere. Unfortunately, that'd be my car...
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM

My folks bought me a car seat robe for the back bench in my Toyota. It came from JC Penny's, and its made out of quilted nylon. It seems to be working wonders. Harley's a serious shedder, and her hair would just COAT the entire back seat and stick to it. So far with the robe, I've noticed little to no hair on the seat.

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:48 AM
-

Sorry, I don't know what brand they are but I think I may have seen them at walmart.
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Papa D

a big roll of duct tape
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM

RE:Duct Tape

Funny you say that as I just bought two rolls of packing tape today instead of the much more expensive sticky lint roller refill I was going to buy!!!
Not quite as sticky as duct tape but have used it in a pinch before.
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Cat hair all over clothes

I came looking for suggestions to help me in my quest to have less fur. Everytime I get a new black t-shirt, I can only wear it once before it becomes furry. And black suits for work... even with the lint rollers, I'm always finding hair. Hard to look professional.

I don't remember having these problems in the states. I suspect that 1) I was in a house and the cats could go out, but here in France I'm in an apartment and they can't, and 2) I have no clothes dryer.

I've read all the posts for this thread and I've come to the sad conclusion that I either have to buy a clothes dryer or shave the cats. Is that right?
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreal View Post
I've read all the posts for this thread and I've come to the sad conclusion that I either have to buy a clothes dryer or shave the cats. Is that right?
This is your otyhe option you could buy different color clothes so that the hair does not show very much... (do not buy black or navy)
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM

multi-colored cats

I have different colored cats actually. One is "caramel" colored, the other is tiger gray and black.

Maybe I should try the clotheless solution... I don't think my boss would go for it though.
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreal View Post
I have different colored cats actually. One is "caramel" colored, the other is tiger gray and black.

Maybe I should try the clotheless solution... I don't think my boss would go for it though.
lol lol you are funny, what about one time use clothes, (wear them then through them out ) or vynl clothes, (wipes clean every time )
or just tell your boss they are invisable clothes ( never needs wahing or ironing )
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:14 PM

You could also try a better food so they might shed less.
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Performance Spaniels

We used to have tumbleweeds of fur... All my black clothes looked awful. Better food, and we have way less shedding. Can't really tell on my clothing, and very little of my clothes go in the dryer.
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Well, I suppose changing the cat food would be less embarassing than wearing invisible clothes. I also think my boss, an oncologist in hematology, wouldn't buy the "invisible" argument (and I wouldn't want to scare the patients !).

As for changing the food, it can be very expensive, especially for finicky cats. I'm seriously considering a clothes dryer, though it seems stupid t oget one just for cat fur (ecology!).

Shaving them is probably the most ecological, though I'm not holdin' em down...
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:31 PM

what food would you suggest?
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Felidae, Innova, Evo, Solid Gold Katznflocken, orijen... there are a few good ones out there.
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM

hmm, I don't think we have those over here. I'll have to check.
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM

2 shih tzus....no shedding!!!

I was at Sears last weekend and there was a guy giving a demonstration on "Mr. Stickey". From the demo it looked like it removes everything. It looks like a lint roller brush but appears to work better. They even have a guarantee with it, so it might do the job.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Yeah, you might have different brands over there.. I always forget to check the location before I post.

It's hard too because some of the brands from here that are international have very little info on their european sites, so it's hard to tell if the quality is the same or not.