Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Closed Thread

Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM

September 2008 Weight Loss Challange

Whoops! A little late, but here's the new thread!

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,

Ford
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hey peeps - its already September!!!

for some of us it means back to school or sending the kids to school....

For others it means new smaller sized fall clothes...

New TV shows strart cooler weather heads our way...

Nows the time to set some goals and get motivated to make it thru the chilly fall months!!

My goal is to lose 5lbs in the next 3 weeks and maintain my weight until Thanksgiving. I'm also going to try and get out and move more, my energy is returning and I have no excuses.

Let's keep the thread going, so far we've managed 9 months of support with some great successes!!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Nice smileys FG

Let's see.. I'm kicking off September one pound lighter, bringing my current total to 26 lbs lost since the beginning of May. I was actually hoping that I would go up this week so that I could regulate what might be leading to bad behaviour, but since the inches didn't move as much as usual, I'm slightly more motivated

In a way, the fall weather is better for me - I like to exercise to keep warm - instead of being too hot and sweaty to work out, even though summer is my favorite season.

As for goals.. I'm getting closer to my target, so I'm not as anxious about a poundage goal .. I wouldn't mind dropping 8 lbs this month, which I think might be doable. I would also like to get back into the weight lifting scheme of things - toning is getting to be more and more important as time goes on.

I'm just glad things have finally evolved into a lifestyle, instead of a diet or exercise regime. It's so nice to not see eating healthy or moving more as a chore, but as something simple and easy to do. Plus it definitely helps to get the support from you guys!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

When's the big day Phooz....

I bet you can't wait.......you are going to look smashing!!!

Now thats a goal!! And the best motivation!! Got the dress yet? How bout the first fitting?

Old September 7th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

We just got back from a trip to Algonquin park for the week, and after paddling and riding, I'm down about 7 lbs! Checked it on the bodyfat scale, and it's mostly fat. Sweet!

Also just picked up the Wii Fit. It gives a good workout, too. I don't know I'll be too much of the actual strenght training (still prefer the weights), but the cardio is kinda cool.

Oh, and I signed up for the police test Sept 22.

Okay, that pretty much catches me up!

Oh, and good job everyone else!
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Geek Club CEO

OMG, the police test, Schwinn??? That's awesome! Fingers crossed for you! And yay for dropping 7!

The wii sounds fun, I've been eyeing it, but DW wants an Xbox
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn View Post
We just got back from a trip to Algonquin park for the week, and after paddling and riding, I'm down about 7 lbs! Checked it on the bodyfat scale, and it's mostly fat. Sweet!

Also just picked up the Wii Fit. It gives a good workout, too. I don't know I'll be too much of the actual strenght training (still prefer the weights), but the cardio is kinda cool.

Oh, and I signed up for the police test Sept 22.

Okay, that pretty much catches me up!

Oh, and good job everyone else!
Hey Schwinn, welcome back. for the7lbs gone!! That's exellent, expesically for a vacation!!

Good luck on the test, keep us posted, thats so exciting!!

Old September 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
When's the big day Phooz....

I bet you can't wait.......you are going to look smashing!!!

Now thats a goal!! And the best motivation!! Got the dress yet? How bout the first fitting?
It's like looking at the future through smilies!
The big day is June 13, 2009. I've got the dress, and I bought it off the rack, so no fittings. It fit well when I bought it (size 10 in wedding dresses is a size 8 in regular clothes). Right now it's at my sister's house - so I'll try it on again at Thanksgiving and at Easter - I kind of want to have to take it in, but at the same time I don't want to pay for alterations.. At least, as it stands, I like the way I look in it

Schwinn, welcome back and those are some great results!

The bad news - this week I went up two pounds somehow.. I thought with the extra dog walking I would go down, so the up seems a little odd - I didn't do too much out of the ordinary.. I do know that for the first time in a long time I didn't lift any weights at all last week. So I'll try to step that up and hopefully see a loss this week instead!

Old September 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Geek Club CEO

I haven't stepped on the scale in a week or so, 'cause, well, I'm a girl and this is not a good time to be stepping on scales. It IS, however, a good time for crying and eating chocolate.

BUT, I bought a dress last weekend (did I say this already?) for my brother's wedding, in a size 10 (size 8 in clothes, same deal) and I look HOT Hopefully I will deflate before the big event this Friday
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hey, it's the same time for me
My sister thinks that's what the change in scale has to do with .. I suppose it's part of it..
Do we get to see pictures of you in said dress?

Old September 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
It's like looking at the future through smilies!

The big day is June 13, 2009. I've got the dress, and I bought it off the rack, so no fittings. It fit well when I bought it (size 10 in wedding dresses is a size 8 in regular clothes). Right now it's at my sister's house - so I'll try it on again at Thanksgiving and at Easter - I kind of want to have to take it in, but at the same time I don't want to pay for alterations.. At least, as it stands, I like the way I look in it

The bad news - this week I went up two pounds somehow.. I thought with the extra dog walking I would go down, so the up seems a little odd - I didn't do too much out of the ordinary.. I do know that for the first time in a long time I didn't lift any weights at all last week. So I'll try to step that up and hopefully see a loss this week instead!
Phew - when you didnt reply for a few days I thought..."oh, no, did I miss something....is she not getting married now? "

Times going to fly - it'll be here before you know it. I lost some lbs between buying and the actual date and it was still too big. What you need to do it sit, stand, bend over (like you are signing documents on a table) and dance around in it...it may be confortable but it may not fit right...my straps were too big and my bra showed up in a few pics...it is so expensive to alter it...so I feel your pain!!

Might be bloat, stress, water retention...dont worry about a 2lbs gain, especially if you did al you could...I bet its just one of those weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
I haven't stepped on the scale in a week or so, 'cause, well, I'm a girl and this is not a good time to be stepping on scales. It IS, however, a good time for crying and eating chocolate.

BUT, I bought a dress last weekend (did I say this already?) for my brother's wedding, in a size 10 (size 8 in clothes, same deal) and I look HOT Hopefully I will deflate before the big event this Friday
oooo, a hot dress...whats it look like? details please!!! whats DW wearing?

Old September 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Hey, it's the same time for me
My sister thinks that's what the change in scale has to do with .. I suppose it's part of it..
Do we get to see pictures of you in said dress?
Um ya it part of it!!!! I'd bet on it too, that "week" and the week before it sucks for keeping your thin status!

Old September 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Hey lady
You're doing so great! So proud of you. I need a little push...again..lol
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Geek Club CEO

The dress is a colour I never would have usually considered, but I was just pulling everything in my size off the racks...it's a charcoal grey. It's strapless, with a fitted waist and A-line skirt. It comes just below the knee. The material is kinda shiny (think silk) and there's really nice black detailing/embroidery around the bottom of the skirt. I got a plain black shawl to go with it. It's pretty girly

DW found a killer dark grey pantsuit, which she is wearing with a fushia silk tank top. Not so girly (she hasn't worn a dress in about 15 years), but feminine and very classy.

There may be pictures, we'll have to see...knowing my mother's camera-happiness, yes.
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I did not want to post because I am having some issues.
I went on vacation, lost my whole track, was not able to go to the gym for 2 weeks, and gained 5lbs.
I am distraught.

I am having a hard time coping, which is meaning I want food, and I do not want to do that.
I am back at the gym, but still hungry, and disappointed.
I am trying to snap out of it, I really am
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
The dress is a colour I never would have usually considered, but I was just pulling everything in my size off the racks...it's a charcoal grey. It's strapless, with a fitted waist and A-line skirt. It comes just below the knee. The material is kinda shiny (think silk) and there's really nice black detailing/embroidery around the bottom of the skirt. I got a plain black shawl to go with it. It's pretty girly

DW found a killer dark grey pantsuit, which she is wearing with a fushia silk tank top. Not so girly (she hasn't worn a dress in about 15 years), but feminine and very classy.

There may be pictures, we'll have to see...knowing my mother's camera-happiness, yes.
Ooo, sounds nice!! I'd love to see some pics, please do share!! That grey color is nice...I like it, also not something I'd first pick out at first, but it will look nice with DW's suit and the tank top, that grey looks good with fushia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
I did not want to post because I am having some issues.
I went on vacation, lost my whole track, was not able to go to the gym for 2 weeks, and gained 5lbs.
I am distraught.

I am having a hard time coping, which is meaning I want food, and I do not want to do that.
I am back at the gym, but still hungry, and disappointed.
I am trying to snap out of it, I really am
Oh RL - take a deep breath and start again....one day at a time, don't feel like you have to get that 5lbs off right away, just chip at it one lb at a time. It took you how long to lose how much? And 2 weeks to gain it back. So...it may take you 2-3 weeks but you will certainly get there, you already have the tools and knowledge to succeed. This is a life long commitment, we are all going to have 2 week vacations where we slip, that life! You can do it!

Come back here for support anytime you need a boost, we know what you are going thru, we fight the battle right along with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeGirl View Post
Hey lady
You're doing so great! So proud of you. I need a little push...again..lol
Thanks lady!! As are you! Dont make me come over there and take away all your baking supplies!!!
Biggest Losers - this is my sister, we both fight the battle, she was part of the BL challange and did so good along with the rest of us.

Last edited by Ford Girl; September 9th, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Ok, now for my weekly update!!!

I have been so friggn tired these days, working out still isn't something I've been doing every day, or even 4 times a week...but my energy is slowly returning. Can't wait!

I weighed in this am, Im down 3lbs!! The 3 lbs I gained last week! LOL!

Im up a total of 4lbs in 11 weeks of preg. Right in schedual according to my RN.

Old September 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM
proud to be a cat slave

bendy I want to see pictures! Sounds like a great dress!

rottie don't feel down. I know how hard it is when the scale goes up (just happened to me), but you just have to bounce back. Coming back from a couple of weeks is probably the hardest part, but if you do it one day at a time, you'll get there again. Maybe try something at the gym you've never done before, or some food you haven't tried yet to make it new again! We're here for you, ups or downs

skyegirl FG has been updating us on your success - sounds like you're doing a great job

FG congrats! sounds like you're on the right track, and you've got a good game plan, which is most important!

Old September 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Geek Club CEO

rottie I totally know how you feel, some days it's like WTF and why bother??? It can be really hard. BUT....

you know that the changes you've made in your diet and exercise are a LIFESTYLE change, and not a temporary quick-fix, right? So, chalk up the two weeks and 5 lbs as a blip on your longterm road to good healthy, and get right back into it. The longer you stay "out" the harder it is to get back in.

As my workout videos always remind me, JUST PRESS PLAY (or go to the gym, or for a walk or make a healthy dinner). Don't think, don't rationalize, just DO it, and you will feel soooo much better and more in control of things afterwards.

No one thinks you "failed" or anything, it's just one of those things that happens in real life (like my special monthly-chocolate-and-cookies-and-everything that fits in my mouth for three days-feeding-frenzies.) We're all still proud of you!
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Geek Club CEO

Oh, and EAT, for goodness sake if you're hungry!!! Just make good choices! Lately I've been bringing a crapload of chopped veggies and about a 1/4 cup of hummus to work as part of my lunch....holy crap that fills me up with all the fibre, I can barely finish it!!!!
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Everyone is doing GREAT!!

Rottielover, you know we're here for you, for props or hugs or a kick in the butt or just to chat with, if that's what you need.

I don't pay any attention to my "monthly binges" or anything of that nature. It's all a part of life. No reason to feel guilty, just move along. I don't deprive myself of the things I love. I just try to make better choices overall, and let the cookies and chips and occasional Rolo McFlurry (mmmmm....) be treats rather than staples.

Since starting the treadmill in November, and Taekwondo in June, I've lost:
Chest: 1 inch
Rib cage: 2 inches
Waist: 4 1/2 inches
Tummy (what I affectionately refer to as my "overhang"): 4 inches
Hips: 3 inches
Thighs (each thigh): 2 inches

...for a total of 16 1/2 inches lost overall (well, 18 1/2, if you count both thighs ). Woo hoo!!

I haven't actually been on the treadmill since I started TKD, because I needed the rest between training sessions, and because the kids were home for the summer. I plan to get back onto it soon, though.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I think a kick in the butt is what I did need.
So I am back to the grind. And lost 2 of the 5 lbs gained on my vacation.
I was having such horrible fat days that I allowed my mood to control what I ate. Not good at all, everything I have fought so hard to gain
I have a goal of 5 lbs loss by end sept, and already did 2, soooo Looks like I may do it
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Oh, YAY ROTTIELOVER!!!! That's fantastic to hear! (wish I had all those cool emoticons the other posters have :sad: ). You'll make the 5lbs for sure! Probably more!
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Geek Club CEO

Attagirl RL!!! You're back on track!!!

W4F, holy crap, way to loose some serious inches, girl!!!
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Magical Mystery Tour

Operation Butt Shrink

Hey gorgeous folks!

I'm jumping onto this amazing thread - I need motivation and it looks like you are the people I should be hanging with!

I was in the BL with FordGirl and SkyeGirl and we still check in with each other every day - I've lost more than I thought I would . I started at 245 in April and I'm down to 214. My next goal is break 200! But as the weeks progress, I'm constantly doing math in my head "if I could ramp up and lose 2 lbs each week, how much will I weigh by easter?". I'm trying not to be obsessive but it's hard some days to just make weight loss a part of my life rather than the CENTER of it!

Keep up the fantastic work!

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Geek Club CEO

I totally understand what you mean GC (great progress to date, whoo hoo!). I remember a few months ago saying to DW, "I'll be really happy when this starts feeling more routine, more like a LIFESTYLE than a diet". It's definitely MUCH better now than it was this spring, but because we're still working out some kinks in our eating habits it's not quite there yet. It's really hard NOT to get obsessive about it. I've set a pretty long-term goal for myself: I'd like to be able to wear a bikini before I'm 30. I've never felt comfy, not even when I was 8 years old for pete's sake, to wear a two-peice. I'd just like to do that once in my life. That's more than a year away. I've never really set weight goals because I don't really know what an "ideal" weight will be for me, especially now that I've ramped up my resistance training and I'm building more muscle. I figure I'll know it when I see it, you know? My short term goals are simply to stay on track with my healthy eating about 90% of the time, and to exercise 6 days a week if humanly possible. Also, to not sweat it when I DON'T meet those goals, because I can try again next week, you know?
Old September 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Sounds like everyone is really doing well!
Gypsy, I know the feeling.. I started do that - trying to figure out how to get to my goal as fast as I could.. turns out that I would end up just getting disappointed because I would work hard and not get the results I had, probably unrealistically, hoped for.. Now I've kind of just evolved so that I keep on doing what I'm doing, and I'm trying not to allow it to take over my entire life.. it's tough though!

Old September 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hey GC buddy, nice to see you here.. on all the hard work you've done. Amazing! These peeps on here have been posting since Jan and have been a great support.

w4f - good work, holy cow! You have doen amazing!! Keep it up and post here more often!

Phooz and bendy - as always, thanks for the support!

Old September 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM
proud to be a cat slave

Well, it's a new week, and this week I'm down 4lbs
Lost the two I gained last week, and another two! Bringing me down 28lbs since May! It feels good - I just wish that I would lose it in the 'problem' areas, instead of whereever I'm actually losing it, but I'll take it!

Old September 15th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Geek Club CEO

Yay, Phooz!

My brother got married this weekend, I've been away from home and my exercise and healthy eating went right out the window. I refuse to step on the scale.