Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 26th, 2003, 08:33 PM

tick head stuck in cat

the head of the tick is embedded in my cat, behind her ear, almost below skin level. should i take her to the vet to have it removed?
Old October 28th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Yes you should.

Ticks are no good for cats. If you see the head, it's alive and needs to be removed.
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Exclamation YES YES YES

Not only can the tick make your cat sick YOU can get LYME disease from it as well

GO GO GO to the vet straight away. As a percaution your cat should be put on antibiotics as well.

keep us posted and be careful yourself lyme disease is AWFUL!

Luba
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

just a few tricks for ticks and their removal,
1- ticks breath through their bum (yes it is true) so as soon as you find a tick put a bit of vaseline or insect spray on the ticks bum and it will soon die.
2- make sure it is dead before it is removed as it can break as you know and can poision the animal or human also i have herd of tick heads left in causing rashes etc, not nice
3- i dont know if a cat can get limes disease (i doubt it) but you certainly can but it is quite rare so remove ticks immeadiatly
and check yourself, children and animals daily.
4- use a product such as frontline (australian) that protcets from ticks, it really is worth it when it costs $10 a month compared to the $200 vet bill.

I hate ticks (grass tick not so bad it the paralysis tick i fear) so good luck
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi again to all,
i talked to some friends last night who live in heavy tick infested regions. the general consensus is that the tick head can no longer hurt the cat (ie poision etc., but could cause skin irritation due to the fact it is a foreign body etc) when the body is removed from the head the tick will release its toxins then and the head is no longer living, therefore it cannot cause further damage following the seperation of body. once the body seperates the tick is definatly DEAD. so get it seen to but if the cat didnt show normal signs of poision such as paralysis (it would be dead by now anyway) the cat is fine. just get the head out to stop skin irritation etc. the cats life is not in danger anymore. (i don not suggest removing the bodies of live ticks from the head as a removal method, when a tick is disturbed it will release the toxins immeadiatly so if done properly the animal will be none the wiser)
Old October 31st, 2003, 04:53 PM

You all put enough fear in me to call my vet. They were kind enough to counsel me over the phone. They said to keep it clean with peroxide. My girlfriend said whatever of the head remaining inside should work its way out. I've been watching it and there is no redness, just puffy, which is to be expected. But I'm not just taking all of that as an answer. If I notice any changes in it or my cat, I'll take here to the vet. Thank you all ever so much!
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie View Post
just a few tricks for ticks and their removal,
1- ticks breath through their bum (yes it is true) so as soon as you find a tick put a bit of vaseline or insect spray on the ticks bum and it will soon die.
2- make sure it is dead before it is removed as it can break as you know and can poision the animal or human also i have herd of tick heads left in causing rashes etc, not nice
3- i dont know if a cat can get limes disease (i doubt it) but you certainly can but it is quite rare so remove ticks immeadiatly
and check yourself, children and animals daily.
4- use a product such as frontline (australian) that protcets from ticks, it really is worth it when it costs $10 a month compared to the $200 vet bill.

I hate ticks (grass tick not so bad it the paralysis tick i fear) so good luck
I am horrified that someone would suggest using insect spray on/anywhere near a cat. An insect spray is an insecticide which has very harmful and toxic chemicals and can cause contact dermatitis or poisoning in cats through inhalation. Bleach, deodorisers, polishes, air fresheners, floor cleaners, fly sprays and cleaning sprays will all be toxic to your cat so DO NOT USE insect sprays on ticks. The best thing is to get a tick twister tool as if your cat gets one tick it will get another for sure. Never use tweezers as the head will become detached and remain in the cat. If you cannot remove it then go to the vets. Here is a great article about what is toxic to cats - including insecticides : https://kittydirect.co.uk/cat-advice...toxic-to-cats/