Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old January 26th, 2005, 03:39 AM
banned user

Just Curious

I was just wondering if the kids in Canada get a lot of snow days, or delays? The roads must be awful with snow a lot of the winter right? Is there a certain number of off days they can have, or would they have to go longer if there were too many off?
Here they only allow 3 full days to be off and they just used the last one yesterday and the winter has only just begun. Now the kids will have their Easter vacation cut short and their last day of school will be later than expected.
So you people with kids, what's the deal there?
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Not sure how many snow days they allow but our kids don't stay home often because of the snow. The plow trucks usually keep things pretty well controlled in our area.
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:40 AM

not sure how many days they get off but the bused children didnt go in the other day. At our school if you feel its unsafe to take your children to school then you can phone in. They dont have long off for easter anyway cant belive there taking days off them!
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

snow days

Growing up in Montreal we used to get snow days quite often. Now it seems that there are very few as roads get cleared more easily. Tends to be outlying areas that still do get more days.. They used to be the best days off!
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I've noticed that when you live more in the city,there really isn't to many snow days.For as long as I can remember,my daughter hasn't had a snow day.Now for my sister who is on a farm,my nephews and neice have had many snow days.They are bused to school.And they get hit harder then we do.Their roads get closed.And they can't even get out of the driveway which is a good 50-60'.My sister and BIL can't even get their cars in or out.My sister has actually been stranded at work for up to 3 days.Their 3 Huskies love it and so does their Border Collie....
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:41 AM
banned user

Well you'd think in the city it would be better than country but I live in a city and we got about 10" of snow on Saturday and school was closed Monday and Tuesday... the main roads were plowed by Sunday but people drive like nuts and there were accidents everywhere, I'm guessing that's why they closed schools. I hear we're in for a bad February... can't wait to see what they do.
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:14 PM
<-----nut ball

Well, it appears that snow days are inversly related to how far south you live. The farther south you live, the more snow days you have, but the less snow you have.
Old February 1st, 2005, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Snow days???
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:21 PM
banned user

Snow days are days that the kids have off from school because of snow or ice making it hard to drive, etc.

Here on the radio it is called opperation snowflake and they read off the schools closed or delayed.... I don't know Glass, maybe in California it's opperation raindrop? Or opperation heatstroke?
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:54 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Two weeks ago we had a hard freeze warning for 2 nights in a row, (could have snowed if the moisture was there), the radio stations all North Central Florida were bogged down with people calling about classes being canceled! Give me a break! The daytime temps were in the 60's!...Winter weather has been much worse for this area....I think everyone is still nervous & jerky after all that has happened across the globe lately.