Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Macomom, that's another good suggestions. There is a vitamin shop not far from me. I know I've seen some natural supplements, so I can ask the people that work there about those.

BenMax, you are right. I'm going to explore my options with the vegetarian route. But you are very correct, I won't be much good to my cats if I get sick and can't take care of them due to some illness.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Kitty pimp

so what do you eat ?

i know i get into a lot of fruit but its not good to just eat that plays with your sug levels
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Slave to the Kitties

I read about a drummer in some band (he was a vegitarian) that was in a plane crash, him and someone else lived, but everyone else died. :sad: But he was so brused up and burned, that the doctor demanded that he eat meat because there was no way he would heal without it. So he did. He said he feels so much better than he did.
I am a semi vegitarian also, but mine is mostly because i just dont have the taste for meat alot of the time, i am more of a veggie and pasta person.
I think a nutricionist can help you.
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

If you feel the need to go back to eating some meat and/or animal products, see if you can find a small local farmer or farmer's co-op where you can get what you need. Most times the small-scale farms are raising their animals in a more natural (and more ethical) way. In my area we have several farmer's markets and there is a website called Haliburton Fresh where local farmers can lists their farms/farm products. They sell produce, honey, eggs, goats milk and goats milk products, preserves, and various meats. There is also a new venture started where people can place meat orders from a group of local producers who are raising their livestock on pasture/free range (depending on type of animal), chemical free etc. Myself I keep free range laying hens and sell the eggs, and I also raise chickens and turkeys for meat. The chickens are just for our own use but I do sell a few turkeys. I also have a garden so we have our own fresh produce as well. I know you're in a remote area, but maybe there are some farmers up that way who you could buy from? Oh, and I think price wise if you can buy direct from a farm you might be able to save a little too. i.e. if you get free range or organic eggs from the store you're going to pay a lot more. I only charge about the same for mine as the going rate for normal store bought eggs.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; August 26th, 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Apples and peanut butter (almond butter is good too) are a healthy energy boosting snack. You're getting fruit and carbs and protein all in one snack. I eat this all the time, it will sustain you well even before a workout. Eat it along with a granola bar.

A lot of your problem is probably not enough calories overall. Have you been counting them? With a vegetarian diet people often don't eat enough calories because the foods they're eating are lower in calories than a meat based diet. When I ate vegetarian I didn't worry about how much I ate, I just made sure to eat a ton of veggies and I lost weight.

One meal might consist of stir fry with veggies and tofu or black beans, with whatever sauce I chose to make. Tofu skin is awesome if you can find it, you'll have to find an asian market but the texture is really nice, this is a good mix in for stir fries and all kinds of stuff and adds some variety rather than just plain tofu.

I did eat a lot of nuts and granola. Oatmeal is a good hardy breakfast and you can mix fruits in and soy milk or regular milk. If you eat cereal you can mix fruits and nuts in too.
You can make a hash for breakfast too, out of potatoes (use canned if you're lazy - but I like to cut up potatoes and boil them a bit then freeze them in individual serving sizes), vegetables and whatever seasoning you want with some eggs on top. For that matter you can make something like this the night before and warm it up in the morning if you're short on time.

Sweet potato fries are really good for you. The main thing to getting them crispy is brushing them with a little olive oil and cooking them in the oven at really high heat and cutting them thin. Season with something like Tony's Cajun Seasoning, or just add a little salt and dip in honey.

SQUASH is your friend. There are a ton of different varieties. You can make soups and pastas and all kinds of stuff out of winter squash and summer squashes (including zucchini) are really good in stir fries and also pasta.

Tomato salad is good. I just made this tonight since I have a TON of tomatoes from my garden. It's just cherry tomatoes cut in half with fresh mozzarella cheese (the kind that comes in balls in liquid, not the fake stuff that comes in blocks and shredded) and/or feta, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar. If you're lazy you can just add balsamic vinegarette dressing and cheese rather then all the individual seasonings. Eat it on toasted whole grain french bread or in a regular salad.

You mentioned Wild Oats right? They have a good salad bar (all the ones I've been to anyway). Pick a whole ton of ingredients and mix 'em together with your favorite dressing. They have a great variety. Eat that for a quick lunch rather than something that's not very nutritious.

Anyway, I have a ton of ideas. This is how I ate when I wasn't eating meat.
If you need more ideas I'm happy to help.

Just don't worry about cutting calories right now. If you find yourself gaining weight THEN worry, but for now you want to make sure you're consuming enough to give you energy and keep you going so you don't crash.
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Holy cow, MBIE, you just made me VERY hungry!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I just had a food brain storm and I had to share.
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Senior Contributor

It's awesome! I'm glad you posted all of this. I think I might have to try those sweet patato fries. Delish!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:01 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Been almost veggan for 10 yrs (moral & health reasons) haven't had this much energy ever!

But it's very important to have blood work done AG at the beginning and/or until you feel good.

Besides being so much healthier it's way cheap, at most $50/week

Breakfast:
Soy Milk
Sweet Tofu (mango, banana, almond, peach)
few blue/black berries, strawberries, banana

blend - energy gallore/yummy

Lunch/Dinners: Whole grain pasta's/rice/bread Romaines/Leaf Lettuce/Dark Green Boston chick peas, kidney/lima beans, spinach (toss in salad) or add to salsa

Stir fry: yellow/orange/red peppers, brocolli, onion, garlic & olive oil

Snack Cashews/Almonds and/or jar peanut butter

Mix & Match

Breaky little fattening but it's "healthy" fat Never worry about protein intake it's in everything you eat!

KrDahmer congrat's on the lost of 7 lbs, MBIE yummy and informative posts

Hope you both feel better soon
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Those are some great ideas! I bought some fruit with me to work, and some cheese. I'm going to buy some crackers later on this evening so I can bring them tomorrow and have with some peanut butter.

I just had some cereal and remembered to take a B-12 vitamin. I had 3 left, so I have to buy more, and I also took my multi-vitamin. I'm going to try eating every 3 or 4 hours. Hopefully eating every few hours will help keep my energy up as well.

I don't want to feel today like I did yesterday. That was just terrible.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old August 27th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Been almost veggan for 10 yrs (moral & health reasons) haven't had this much energy ever!

But it's very important to have blood work done AG at the beginning and/or until you feel good.

Besides being so much healthier it's way cheap, at most $50/week

Breakfast:
Soy Milk
Sweet Tofu (mango, banana, almond, peach)
few blue/black berries, strawberries, banana

blend - energy gallore/yummy

Lunch/Dinners: Whole grain pasta's/rice/bread Romaines/Leaf Lettuce/Dark Green Boston chick peas, kidney/lima beans, spinach (toss in salad) or add to salsa

Stir fry: yellow/orange/red peppers, brocolli, onion, garlic & olive oil

Snack Cashews/Almonds and/or jar peanut butter

Mix & Match

Breaky little fattening but it's "healthy" fat Never worry about protein intake it's in everything you eat!

KrDahmer congrat's on the lost of 7 lbs, MBIE yummy and informative posts

Hope you both feel better soon
The breakfast drink sounds yummy. I don't think I've ever seen Sweet Tofu. Is that what it's called on the package? I'll have to make a point of looking. I've got blueberries at home and soy milk, I can easily pick up some tofu on the way home and try that for bkfst tomorrow. It would be a nice change.

Old August 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG G-G,that's what you eat,no choclate,no cheese,no beer,no potatoesI did not know you were a vegan,but good for you
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
OMG G-G,that's what you eat,no choclate,no cheese,no beer,no potatoesI did not know you were a vegan,but good for you
It would be hard for me to go total vegan. I do my best now, but there are some things I just can't cut out.

Old August 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
The breakfast drink sounds yummy. I don't think I've ever seen Sweet Tofu. Is that what it's called on the package? I'll have to make a point of looking. I've got blueberries at home and soy milk, I can easily pick up some tofu on the way home and try that for bkfst tomorrow. It would be a nice change.
Canadian Product by Sunrise Soya Food
http://www.sunrise-soya.com/soy-prod...fu-dessert.php

The extra firm tofu has the most protein. You can get two morning shakes out of one package. This one is popular to stirfry with veggies. I'm lazy & buy dessert tofu as they come 2 X 150g packages, either is under $2.

Chico, I don't eat eggs nor drink milk but eat products that contain them as in home made pasta, cakes, cookies, chocolat bars, Kraft Peanut butter ... a relaxed vegan-ish, took awhile but found a healthy/peaceful balance. LOVE potatoes, will bake/boil or bbq only when I have company, kinda retired from cooking otherwise

AG if you feel weak I highly recommend having the morning "speed" shake, add whatever you'd like even an egg, you'll feel like a million
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry AG i don't have much advice just want to send and to you and hope you feel better and then get yourself to the dr!!!!!!

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

In 1966 I had anorexia. The symptoms you have described are exactly those I experienced. I know that you have posted in the past about weight concerns. I think you first need to see a medical doctor for a complete physical. Be very careful when you consult a nutritionist - I saw 2 and almost ended up in the hospital. My body chemistry is extremely acidic - I have had a few acid based kidney stones. This comes from my father's side. My maternal grandmother suffered from gout - and I seem to have some of this. I stopped eating salt - and things like bacon etc. when I was 26 when I started to notice my ankles swelling etc. So it is very important that a nutritionist fully understand if you have any problems such as mine that would conflict with what would normally be good advice. Putting me on that horrible Greens Liquid almost did me in. Several of the grains she suggested were very acidic - barley being one. I can't have anythiny soy - I suffer from rosacea - facial and ocular - so soy is a serious problem. I lost my weight fast and once I started eating again I was able to do so for quite some time without weight gain and then Boom - almost overnight it would seem, the pounds started coming back. I dropped from 200 to 88 lbs. and then went back up to 160. I am 5 ft. 8" - long waisted, with small top - all weight on bottom - so I looked pretty bad. I now weigh 130 but when dressed in my long, biased cut skirts appear to weigh about 115 - I just hide it well. Best of luck.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I am from Indian decent and we eat alot of veggie meals. One of the # 1 food we eat is Chic Peas. They are packed with nutrients and a good source of protein. Do you eat these?

Here is something quick and easy:

Chic Peas mixed with diced tomatoes and cucumber. Finely chopped garlic, olive oil and lemon juice, tiny bit of salt and pepper and fresh corriander to taste. Also, you can add feta cheese. It's quick, easy and yummy.
I agree with BenMax, I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years, partly because I hated the after taste of meat in my mouth and at a young age decided that either my mom BBQ's the meat to a crisp (which she refused because it was a waste of good meat or cut it out of my diet)...so I started eating a lot of legumes and tofu. chic peas, lentils, kidneys beans are great. But you really need to know how to combine all these foods to get the best value from them.
I should add that I am a lacto-veg, so I eat eggs and cheese which helps with the protein.
Old August 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi guys! Well, I've been feeling a little better these last few days.

Thank you all so much for all of the suggestions. In the morning I'm going to make one of those yummy tofu shakes, but I wanted to share a little recipe for something I just made.

1 can of chick peas (garbanzo beans)
half a can of beets
about 1/4 cup of toasted nori! Which is seaweed (it's amazing)
Half a tablespoon of olive oil
a couple of pinches of salt
a couple of pinches of red pepper and OMG!

You can substitute the nori with tuna. I used to make this w/tuna, but since I'm veg, I used nori, which I must say tastes amazing toasted a bit.

I spread it in a warm corn tortilla which was really delicious!