Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 6th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Angry cat urine smell on cat's hair

Help...I have even asked three different vets with no answers. How do you get the smell of cat urine out of their own hair. I have bathed our cat and we wipe her bottom with unscented baby wipes every day and we cannot get the smell out. Background: we have a overweight female cat who has trouble cleaning herself because her belly is big. She has had x-rays and her urine tested and she is fine. We have her on lower calorie food and hopefully she will lose weight but in the meantime she smells horrible and we are frustrated. You can find everything about getting cat urine smells out of carpet and furniture but not out of a cat's hair. Responses will be greatly appreciated.
Old September 6th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a new one on me! ARe you sure the urine smell is coming from her backside?

Kidney disfunction can sometimes make a cat's breath smell like urine or ammonia. Have you had blood work done to see if her kidneys are functioning properly? I would wonder about this, particularly since you say she is overweight.
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:38 AM

We have urine tests and from those it was determined that her kidneys are working fine...but I do think we are going to have to have blood test ($$ugh...) We thought it was her anal glands b/c she scoots too but it wasn't...I think she is urinating on herself or not cleaning...
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:45 AM

Hi, I posted about my female cat that tends to get urine on her fur when she uses the litter box. No idea what is going on. I have changed litter types and depths. My cat is a bit overweight but nothing significant (according to the vet). I wipe her off with a pet wipe or a damp cloth. However, she does not smell like urine unless she just stepped out of the box.
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:14 PM

Natures Miracle available at most pet stores is an amazing product IMO. Just pour onto a damp cloth and wipe down your pet making sure to avoid the face. Make sure to read the instructions as this product should not be used on a pet with an injury or delicate skin.