Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:45 AM

Question Need help/advice about new puppy

I recently found this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place!

Yesterday, my boyfriend and I went to my old house to visit with my family. My sister got there saying there was two dogs that followed her up the dirt road.
For a little background information, this was in the country about 5 miles from town with very few people living on this dirt road and this was also the first time my family had seen or heard of these dogs as they know all the ones that roam the area, because they all have a home/family.
Maybe one of these dogs did have a home, but the other one came up to the house and would not leave. The other disappeared.
When we got a closer look, he has a pretty big sore on his head by his ear and he is so so skinny with no meat at all. We walked up and down the dirt road with people passing by us not stopping to claim him at all. With how many ticks were on him and how skinny he is, I don't think he has been taken care of for at least a month, maybe longer. We fed him a little and he was super hungry almost biting us to get the food down quickly. So, my boyfriend and I took him back home with us. He also had a collar on him, but it was about to fall off so it seemed like the collar was put on him before he lost that much weight. If nobody claims him, he will be ours. He seems to be around 3-4 months as he still has his puppy teeth. He also weighs about 28 pounds and we are thinking he is a Lab, but aren't sure if he is mixed yet or not and he is really tall!
We took him home, got all the ticks off of him, gave him a few baths to get him cleaned up, cleaned up his wound, and made him a bed. Before we took him home, he pooped once and it seemed normal.
When we got home though, we gave him some dry dog food as we already have a 10 month old dog, and we gave him some plain boiled rice with liquid worming medicine mixed in according to his weight.
Obviously, he was super hungry and ate really fast, but we knew not to let him eat too much at once.
Since we have no idea how long he has gone without eating good food, we probably fed him a little too much because ever since then, he has had really bad diarrhea. He hasn't went inside luckily and he seems to feel just fine. He is really friendly and energetic for the most part, just really hungry as we are trying to introduce it to him slowly.
We do not have the money to get to the vet to get him checked out just yet, so I am wondering if my other dog will be okay considering they have been playing and having a good time together. I don't want her to catch anything but we can't really separate them too much as it is just me here with them during the day taking them outside. I am not sure if it is from the sudden food he is eating or the worming medicine that is giving him diarrhea but any advice would really help us on what we could do to help get rid of or at least make his diarrhea better. Thank you!
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Heather. Unfortunately, it's not going to be easy to determine what's giving him the diarrhea without getting some input from a vet. Most vets will insist on an 'in person' exam of a dog before running even a fecal analysis. Can you call a vet, explain the situation, and find out how much an office call is? Maybe it won't be as expensive as you think?

Some things that cause diarrhea are not catching between dogs, but some things are--and it'll be more expensive in the long run if your other dog catches something and then you have 2 dogs to treat...

You might also want to check your local laws about stray animals. Some municipalities require by law that all strays are brought to a local shelter. There they get their initial vetting and their owners have a chance to reconnect with a lost pet if they're still looking for him.

I hope this all works out for you! Bless you for taking him in when he needed help!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

First off - what a big huge heart you have
Thank you for helping this animal - and thanks for all the important details.

Onto the question:
Quote:
We do not have the money to get to the vet to get him checked out just yet, so I am wondering if my other dog will be okay considering they have been playing and having a good time together. I don't want her to catch anything but we can't really separate them too much as it is just me here with them during the day taking them outside. I am not sure if it is from the sudden food he is eating or the worming medicine that is giving him diarrhea but any advice would really help us on what we could do to help get rid of or at least make his diarrhea better. Thank you!
Diarrhea is common in situations like this. The change of food, eating food too quickly, the stress of new surroundings and the worming meds can all lead to diarrhea. Plain boiled rice can help with diarrhea. So can canned pumpkin. http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/tip-75-...-constipation/

Given that they are already playing together - keep an eye on both their healths. make sure the dooger with diarrhea is drinking enough water.

Hope that may help,

Please keep us updated and feel free to ask additional questions
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 2nd, 2018, 09:59 PM

Thumbs up

I will definitely call and check out how much it would be, I hadn't thought of that.
I have checked the laws thanks to your advice (I have never found a stray before) and I will be filling out a found pet report!
Also, GREAT NEWS! He actually had a solid bowel movement this morning after his breakfast. It was a big change compared to yesterday and it was a big day for both of us! I think he did have a little too much to eat the first day, because since yesterday, I have cut back on his portions a lot and that seemed to do the trick! The cut on his head is doing great and looking better already and the next step will be to get him checked out at the vet to see if he has an owner. If not, I'm assuming he was dumped or neglected.
Thank you so much marko, that is such a kind comment and thank you for the tip and resource for next time!
Thank you guys so much for your help and great advice!
Old July 3rd, 2018, 08:54 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

great news heather044
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 7th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I see things are better now. For future reference the worm medicine might have been the culprit in the diarrhoea. Good for you for taking this pup in.

Tags
adopted dogs, diarrhea, help needed!, puppy, stray dogs