Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 4th, 2015, 04:47 PM

Exclamation Diarrhea

Hi there, I noticed my dog was extra hungry yesterday as he seemed to eat more than usual (I kept filling his dish since the day before he barely ate). This isn't unusual for him sometimes on a lazy day or two he won't eat much but then a day later he'll gobble it all. Anyway I didn't think much of it but today he complained to be let out more than usual and has been having severe diarrhea from noon to 4:30pm (time now). It started solid then liquid to now almost sticky light brown.

The food I feed him usually is high quality food with no grain, only protein (Performatrin Ultra Grain-Free: Turkey Duck Salmon). He's been on it for several months now without any issues, so there should be no reason for a reaction to it. I hope it's simply that he might have ingested some leftover from a party we had earlier in the week although I doubt it as the food was served on another floor where he wasn't.

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR: From all advice I've heard before I'm restricting his food diet for the next 12 hours and only allowing him fresh water. Unfortunately I don't have any chicken or turkey to feed with rice as advised by Vets in the past (I'm vegetarian).

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to add he's a 4.5 year old healthy mutt I had rescued when he was barely a few weeks old, I believe he could be a Jack Russell Poodle mix and ~30lbs with no health issues.

Last edited by slux; January 4th, 2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Forgotten details
Old January 5th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

It's Monday morning, you are in Toronto, there are 24 hour grocery stores, you should whip out and buy what you need. You are doing the correct things. You might try cooked ground turkey with cooked sweet potato instead of the rice/chicken or beef idea. Rice can ferment and cause more problems. As per Mercola and my own Vet when we had a similar but much, much, much worse problem.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...nd-causes.aspx

I am not suggesting your dog has IBD (mine did though) only putting the link so you can see the diet reasoning from someone with credentials and not some unknown person (me ) on the internet.

I do suggest you may have inadvertently overfed your dog and hopefully that resolves and this is a one off.

Tags
diarrhea, dog