Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 21st, 2013, 11:46 PM

Unhappy How to distinguish between diarrhea and pee litter balls?

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble telling pee balls and diarrhea balls apart. I THINK my cat had diarrhea because I found some drops of poop on the floor and a little smear on the side of the box, but since then, I have been confused on how to tell pee balls and diarrhea apart. I am currently using regular clumping clay litter. I'd really appreciate any advice and feedback on how to tell the two apart.

Thanks!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Just watch your cat use the litter box and if it has diarrhea you'll be able to tell. The poop will pour out and if you're not finding any stools in the litter that is a very good clue your has diarrhea or is not pooping at all. And poop does smell difference from urine.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM

Hello,

I find that pee balls are fairly round and diarrhea will form a "squashed", flat lump. But to be sure, you can use toothpicks to break the ball apart to really see what it is made of. I know, not a pleasant task but when I want to be sure, that's what I do!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Then you can use then as appetizers for a party.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene4 View Post
Hello,

I find that pee balls are fairly round and diarrhea will form a "squashed", flat lump. But to be sure, you can use toothpicks to break the ball apart to really see what it is made of. I know, not a pleasant task but when I want to be sure, that's what I do!
Yeah this is the problem! He has been having regular poop in there as well. And I did find some odd "squashed" litter lumps but when i used the litter scoop to break them in half, they looked identical to the cross section of a pee "ball" (which I broke in half) to me @_@
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Just watch your cat use the litter box and if it has diarrhea you'll be able to tell. The poop will pour out and if you're not finding any stools in the litter that is a very good clue your has diarrhea or is not pooping at all. And poop does smell difference from urine.

How long do you wait for that? xD My cat likes doing his business at night as well! I did find stools. Perhaps fewer than his usual stools though. However, from the fact that he has had some smearing on the box (not very much) and a few drops on the floor, I can only assume he had diarrhea. However, without those obvious symptoms (i.e. I haven't found smears/drops after the first two days), I have been unable to tell if he's passed through the phase or is still having diarrhea. He's also really energetic and is behaving normally, eating etc.
As for the smell, he covers his poop in litter, so its hard to smell it without bringing it close to my nose, which I dont want to do @_@
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrynyamu View Post
How long do you wait for that? xD My cat likes doing his business at night as well! I did find stools. Perhaps fewer than his usual stools though. However, from the fact that he has had some smearing on the box (not very much) and a few drops on the floor, I can only assume he had diarrhea. However, without those obvious symptoms (i.e. I haven't found smears/drops after the first two days), I have been unable to tell if he's passed through the phase or is still having diarrhea. He's also really energetic and is behaving normally, eating etc.
As for the smell, he covers his poop in litter, so its hard to smell it without bringing it close to my nose, which I dont want to do @_@
I was thinking could you put some newspaper under cat when he does poop and maybe you see how his poop looks. I do not how long it take for your cat to poop, and I meant when you do see your cat using the litter box try to watch and see how the poop looks before he cover it up. I do not except you watch your cat all day and night.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Then you can use then as appetizers for a party.
LOL!

Very good question btw.

Tags
cat, diarrhea, sick