Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 25th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Help for our Adopted cat!

6 days ago we brought home a tortoise-shell Persian from the SPCA. It would be polite to say the SPCA were not nice and didn't do a very good job. The cat sat in her own feces for 8 days, was never cleaned and only vaccinated when we were going to take her home. The day we adopted her (Monday, 19 September), she had teeth removed surgically and is on 14 days Clindamycin.

We're growing concerned that the cat has protracted diarrhea. The SPCA sold us Royal Canine, Feline Adult #27 for food, which she eats, but doesn't seem to enjoy. She's drinking regularly, is very active, talkative and quite content.

She had been at the SPCA for 8 days but had been on the streets for months prior. She is declawed and as a result of being on the streets and quite ill, is very thin (5.2lbs at adoption). Should we be concerned? Is this the result of a new environment, new people, surgery and the antibiotics?

I've never had a cat before and this is rather distressing! I appreciate people's help!
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi PhilTG84,

Thank you for adopting this poor girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTG84 View Post
The day we adopted her (Monday, 19 September), she had teeth removed surgically and is on 14 days Clindamycin.
It is quite likely that the antibiotics are playing a role in the diarrhea. Unfortunately, clindamycin can cause colitis in cats, so I would contact a vet ASAP about using either a different antibiotic, or stopping them entirely. When my cat had 3 teeth removed he was put on Antirobe (aka clindamycin) drops. I discontinued them after 2 days (with approval from my vet) because his diarrhea was so severe.

Would also be a good idea to start giving her some probiotics. Look for capsules in the refrigerator section of a health food store. Something high potency (in the billions) with several different strains of organisms and containing little to no dairy. I like either Natural Factor's Ultimate Multi, or MegaFood's Mega Flora. You need just a wee pinch, like 1/6th of a capsule twice a day, mixed into wet food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTG84 View Post
The SPCA sold us Royal Canine, Feline Adult #27 for food, which she eats, but doesn't seem to enjoy.
And speaking of food, I highly recommend that you stop feeding this one and switch to something better. Cats should eat wet food, no kibble, which is filled with inappropriate levels of carbohydrates and highly processed, inferior quality meat. I'd suggest switching to something like Wellness grain-free canned, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature Organics, etc. There's a great article here explaining why cats need wet food: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so glad you adopted this kitty . Poor thing, declawed and left to defend herself out on the streets .

I agree, the antibiotics are probably the cause of the diarrhea. Give that website that sugarcatmom posted, it is full of great information on cat nutrition!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Me too,thank you for getting this poor girl,sugarcatmom gave you some great advice and hopefully she'll improve
We would love to see a pic,she must be a beauty..
Oh,and a longhaired cat with diarrhea,can be very tricky to clean,on my white cat,I use baby-wipes,unscented.

Tags
clindamycin., diarrhea, tortoise shell persian