Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

View Poll Results: Anyone heard of cat callouses?
he was a stray so it could be a reaction to a booster 0 0%
there is no wound or fluid discharge but cannot see through his fur 0 0%
could it be anything other than worms 1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Post Agoraphobic with a big heart and a new rescue

Hi & help, please before you tell me to take him to a vet give me any other possibilities or suggestions. My 3 tear old calico TZ threw a fit on my balcony until I ventured out and came back with a stray kitty. He seemed starving very thin but active and friendly. Kept him (Cosby-as in the comedian!) separate from my other two (Tia & Monkey both spayed) until I could get him vet checked. Phone calls are very hard for me leaving the house is even worse get horrible migraines, panic attacks etc. Persevered got him an appt. with my vet (cat only clinic) and walked him over, can't do public transport either. They charged me $170 for felk/fiv test 1/2 tablet of Milbernax (dewormer)a nail trim,and a quick once over. Money is extremely tight, no family, live alone my cats are my best friends and am on medical leave. I made a second appt. he is now neutered but still very thin. The question or concern, he is always hungry, extremely active loves to play but has diarrhea, and occasionally vomits. He has had the first dose of Hartz Ultraguard Ridworm tablets last week, tonight I have to fast him for 24 hours then give the second dose tomorrow. I know vomiting/diarrhea is very serious but have noticed something else. He has what feels like a callous (loonie size) by his front left shoulder. No fur loss I wonder if it could be from his shoulder blades rubbing (he is that thin) or ringworm. The vet guessed between 9-12 months and did note he has mild gingivitis. Any ideas or help??? I can't face another field trip... pls pls help me.. They come first, they eat well even when I don't, are indoor only, litter boxes scooped twice daily cleaned weekly and I have two water fountain so they get plenty fresh water. Please help me..
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi ozball,

There's a lot going on and it seems to me that your cat needs a physical exam.
Not sure what city you are in but many vets do home visits these days and that might be a decent option.

Good luck
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:57 AM

oops

I'm new on this site yes I read the instructions but got a little lost. Didn't mean to poll just looking for some advice, wisdom, good wishes. He has had a physical but I hadn't noticed the callous (?) at that point. I'm pretty sure is worms too but I am treating him for that. I would have thought the diarrhea would be better by now? Thanks so much! How do I PM you?

Last edited by ozball; October 6th, 2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: additional info
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I hate to say this but there's no need to PM me, I'm not a vet so i cannot diagnose your cat's problem over the Internet. It DOES sound like you need another vet visit (especially for the diarrhea which is not getting better)which is why I suggested a home vet.
Good luck again,
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

ozball i understand totally how you're feeling,,i was diagnosed Agoraphobic years ago. I have found overtime ways to distract that evil little voice in your head..if you have or can somehow get an ipod they are gods gift for those times you have to venture out on a bad day. please don't use hartz dewormer on the kitty they are really not a good product and in some cases can be dangerous to your pet. I take it your vet is fairly close,,without taking the time to think about it,,call quickly ask for a de-worming script that you can pick up...less time to wait means less time to build up a panic attack. As Marko said we can't really give you advice as we're not vets and would hate to tell you to do the wrong thing.
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. Everyday is a bad day lately... I guess the vet it'll have to be, though I don't know when I'll get the courage again! Any idea on the callous, and is it possibly stress related? My other 2 cats are great Monkey (6 months old) but Tia my calico is very aggressive. I've been taking it slow, bought a pheromone collar and usually keep T on her harness, but there have been some battles. Anyways thanks again.
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Ozball, I live in Edmonton pm me perhaps I can help patti
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

As do I. My vet is wonderful, and very affordable. If you need help with anything, please let me know

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Geek Club CEO

Many, many vets/clinics will offer housecalls. There is usually an additional fee for the service, but they'll do it. I'd look in the yellowpages, and check out the ads for different clinics until you see one advertising house calls. You can check online for opinions about a clinic you're considering calling. If you're satisfied they're ok, one quick phone call to book an appointment is all you need!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM

I have used the Glenora Cat Clinic since I adopted my first cat Tia from the SPCA 2006, was very happy with them. The place I work (am off on stress leave) had a few strays so myself and a few others began a cat co-op. I was able to befriend quite a few over 5 years, lots of love food and managed to catch 2 feral cats. Both went to the Glenora for exams, spay and shots. I explained my situation and hoped they might help with the cost, they didn't. The most recent rescue Cosby the most expensive yet and somehow they missed ear mites. The Spay Clinic caught it, but after my other 2 kitties caught them too. A kind compassionate vet is exactly what I need, affordable is great but someone willing to be patient and understanding to me as well as the cats. Your help would be huge and believe it or not just having people respond, has been amazing. I live through the view off the balcony and because of the joy my 3 kitties. an new to the site so this has been a really positive step "outside" for me. Sincerely Ozball
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome to pets.ca, ozball .
Old October 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM

thank you so much... TZ my cranky calico is trying to help type, she's still very angry about the new family member... I can't believe how friendly and kind everyone is, wish I had found this site (?) sooner. Thanks again and hi back!
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Welcome to the site Good luck with your kittie

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.

Tags
callous, diarrhea, good appetite, lively, vomit