Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM

Unhappy puppy behavior problems

i have a small breed/1 year old puppy and for the life of me i cant get him to keep going potty on his pad. we have him in the kitchen where he can clearly see us but is not able to run all over the apt and pee. the second we let him out he will pee on something,almost like he holds it till we do let him come out. when he is left in the kitchen he will pee everywhere but his pad. im completely out of ideas on how to train him. i have done spray on his pad to help him/catching him and putting him on the pad/ sprayed water when he trys to pee in places he shouldnt. im due to have a baby in a few weeks and i dont wanna have to change diapers and wipe up pee. HELP ME!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:45 AM

Don't punish him for peeing in the wrong place. But reward him like mad if he gets close to his pad. Although I can appreciate you not wanting pee everywhere, I think that by isolating him in the kitchen, you are creating a problem. Dogs are pack animals. They want to be part of the family. And peeing in the wrong place is a sign that something wrong. Try staying in the kitchen with him, or cautiously extending his area so he can be with you.
I treated a dog with exactly the same problem, but he was confined to the bathroom at night. Once he was allowed to sleep in his person's bedroom, the peeing stopped.

No self promotion please
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Live well, laugh often

First advice is to make sure there is no medical reason for him not being able to hold his pee so a vet check is in order.

Do you know his history? Have you had him since a puppy?

I think you need to totally go back to basics. Perhaps consider trying a different pee surface (if he is small enough a litter box maybe? or a patch of sod) as she seems to dislike the pee pads. I would try keeping the puppy tethered to you so you can easily catch the start of any mistakes and redirect them to the appropriate place. Here are some good advice to help you out.
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...-housetraining
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM

I found my dog will pee on the brand called blue and nothing else it seems there is something about that pad the makes him go there.

Tags
pee, potty, puppy, training