Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM

MALAMUTE -We need help for our Family Member. Friend and Pet (Polar)

Hi All

I hope anyone can help us.

Our male malamute turns 10 on October 28th and has been aging gracefully over the last year. He is very tirm and just this past May he past his annual check up and there were no signs of hip, back or other problems.

He is very fit and he used to love his walks and even sometimes he would run around like a puppy. He used to always sing out at just the sign of seeing his leash.

This is an inside family dog and we have had no health issues at all with him to date.

Two weeks ago we noticed he had an increased amount of flatulence (A lot) and it was almost human in volume and loudness. Every time he did it he would turn his head towards his tail end and try to smell himself. At first funny, however, we started to think that maybe he sensed something was wrong.

We also have a male 65lb Cane Corso 8 month puppy that he has dominated and lately it has been teasing him and trying to bite him more often. It is evident when you watch that he can't even defend himself and he stands there and simply allows the puppy to bite him. Unless it goes near his head and then he tries to grab the puppy in a very aggressive manner. Out of character for him but we think that if he does get the puppy he will not let it go because it is obvious that he is annoyed. Again out of character for him.

Over the last 2 weeks his tail, at the very end of his back, has become clumped up where it is connected to his spine and his raised up 3/4 to 1 1/2 above the horizontal line of his spine. His once proud tail now hardly ever raises up. He keeps his tail tight between his legs under his rear end. He is mopey and does not walk far and he no longer wants to go for any type of walks past the end of the street.

We changed his diet lately. He always ate human and sometimes times canned dog food. About 4 months ago we changed his diet to adult dry dog food and he has been fine with it and he still has an appetite. Having thought that this may be the cause. I am now cooking for him and he is not geting any dog food any longer.

As of this past Wed. I am now giving him about 1 1/4 cups of the following cooked foods all mixed together
brown rice
chicken
chicken stock
carrots
peas
parsley
celery
mushrooms.

He is eating it down and loves it.

Over the past week he has had accidents in the house almost every night and his stools are very waterly and border line on diarrhea.

He snarls at even us when we try to lift his tail and he is very sensitive when you touch his rear thighs.

Any assistance and or direction that anyone can help us with would be great.

As I said this is a family dog and is really loved and he is to young to leave us yet.

Thank you very much in advance.

Stephen and Family.

Please respond to this email address and stephen.sutton@ge.com to ensure that I get your responses immediately.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:19 PM

did the vet do blood & urine work? did they check for thyroid issues?

Has he had his anal glands look at recently perhaps they need to be expressed, possibly infected?

Any abcess in that area perhaps from a bite from the puppy?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

I think it is time to get him to the vet to have the vet have a look at him. I was also thinking anal glands need looking at.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Live well, laugh often

These symptoms sound fairly serious to me and I'd say a vet visit is definately in order.

Good luck .
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:35 AM

I agree get him to the vet and have him checked out.

Just an fyi however about the gas.....try a teaspoon of plain yogurt in the food. Also instead of brown rice give white rice this will help with the gas too. Mushrooms are not good for dogs and can be quite toxic. As these other foods are too:

• Chocolate & Caffeine
• Onions
• Grapes & Raisins
• Avocados
• Pits of most fruits
• Macadamia nuts
• Mushrooms
• Products sweetened with Xylitol

I'm not sure about the celery or peas I've never heard of anyone feeding it before to dogs. Carrots do contain alot of sugar. Are you grinding up the veggies or just cooking them to mush? Alot of dogs can't handle just raw whole veggies they can however stomach them easier if they are run thru a food processor.

Keep us posted as to what your vet says. I hope your baby feels better soon.
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:47 AM

100% Pure Canned Pumpkin

Ooops forgot to also say that if you add 1 tablespoon of 100% PURE canned pumpkin to his food it will help solidify his poop. Make sure it is pure pumpkin though (NOT pie filling .... it has loads of sugar). Usually if my guys need their anal glands cleared out I add pumpkin. Or if they have diaherria I feed them boiled chicken breasts with white rice and pumpkin. Firms it right up!
Or if they are constipated they get ..... yup you guessed it PUMPKIN! Its fiber and will regular them.

But it does sound like there is something else going on. So yes a vet is in order

Good Luck
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:45 AM

Hi there - sorry to hear about your dogs ailment. Our husky could never handle peas, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, celery and legumes (beans, peas, lentils etc) (wind producing veggies) and used to pass wind like a trumpet if he did. When i spoke with the vet, she mentioned a rule of thumb. Dont give them anything you shouldn't eat when you are breastfeeding that gives your baby gas. ie:
broccoli
cauliflower
cabbage
beans
peas
lentils
chocolate
coffee
asparagus
mushrooms
acidic foods - tomatoes, bolognaise sauces, curry dishes - runs straight through.
Hope this feedback helps you out.
Best wishes
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM

I think that the dry dog food is partly to blame. Some dry dog foods contain a lot of corn or barley. I found that these dog foods made my dog gassy. He was arching his back and visibly uncomfortable.
I feed my dog a steady diet of evo mixed with real turkey, fish, or chicken. I also give him a little bit of spinach. He is regular and much healthier.
I would also have the anal glands drained.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
-

This thread is from Oct 2008 and the OP has never responded.

Tags
diarrhea, malamute, sick, spine, tail