Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Cat Food for Sensitive Cats

Hello,

First post, so let me know if there's any additional information you need to know

I have two 11 month old orange tabby cats (George and Ted, they are brothers), who seem to have very sensitive stomachs. They often have soft stool, and I have taken them to the vet regarding this, and they were given some medication. It seems to have returned. Not only do they have soft stool, but they also poo on the floor, just outside the litter box. They don't do this all the time, just when the stool is soft. The vet says they associate the discomfort of the diarrhea with the litter box, so they go on the floor. It's becoming quite a bad problem.

The vet suggested we switch to a better quality food, but didn't specifically recommend one. Currently I'm feeding them "Fancy Feast" mixed in with Presidents Choice kibble. Apologies for my ignorance, but is this food healthy enough for my cats? My feeling is that since it is causing their stomachs to be upset, they need something better.

Can someone recommend an affordable brand of wet and dry cat food that I can feed to two cats with sensitive stomachs? Hopefully this will cure their bad habit of eliminating on the floor - I've tried everything else I've read here.
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
They often have soft stool, and I have taken them to the vet regarding this, and they were given some medication.
What was the medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
Currently I'm feeding them "Fancy Feast" mixed in with Presidents Choice kibble. Apologies for my ignorance, but is this food healthy enough for my cats?
That would likely be the problem right there. Your vet is correct to suggest a better food. I would stop feeding all kibble and find a good quality grain-free canned food (or raw, if your up for it). Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature Organics, some of the Merrick flavours, etc. are good, but they aren't cheap. However, the money you spend on cat food will more than make up for the decrease in vet bills. Some more info on feline nutrition that you should check out: www.catinfo.org

Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't remember the name of the medication, but it was administered orally using a syringe, and was white and watery.

I agree, feeding them high quality food now will improve their quality of life, and also cut down on vet bills in the future. I will be switching them over to something better.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Mickey, my angel

Hi, StevenL and welcome to the forum. Please keep us updated on how things are going with the food switch.

Would also love to see pics of your boys when you get a chance.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM

I've switched them over (slowly) to Wellness at your recommendation, mixed in with some Fancy Feast so as to not totally throw them off. Over the next few days, I hope to eliminate kibble and Fancy Feast entirely from their diet. Not to sound too corny, but this is like some kind of epiphany for me, I just feel relieved that they are now getting the food they need to be happy.

The cost, while a little more, isn't too much of a jump. I figure I need 1 12.5oz can a day to feed both cats, one meal in the morning, another in the evening. At $3.20 a can and needing 15 cans a month, ~$50 a month isn't too much of a jump over what we are currently feeding them.

Here's a pick of the fellas.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tags
cat, diarrhea, fed, food, sensitive