Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Proud Mommy!

Cat not eating

It's only been a day and a half, but our 2.5 year old longhair isn't eating up to his usual self and my husband said when he tried to meow, now sound came up and seems to be making a faint cough.

My husband thinks it's a hairball. He's a very fluffy long hair cat still shedding his winter layers.

We are waiting it out a couple days to see if it passes when the hairball does, but I thought I'd come here and see what others thought.

Thanks
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:10 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Your cat has not eaten ANYTHING for a day and a half??? I would be high tailing to the vet to see what's up. Cats dehydrate very quickly. My female cat does not eat AS MUCH when she has a hairball brewing but I would never wait days to see what happens.

Please keep us posted. Good luck!!!!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Proud Mommy!

I never said he hasn't eaten ANYTHING, before focusing indignation, perhaps work on your literacy. I might as well toss in this disclaimer right here. If it doesn't improve in the next day we already have a scheduled appointment with our vet (Friday), which we will follow through on. I just thought before dropping 100$ for a vet to tell me he has a hairball, i'd pop on here for some input.

He's a large cat, and typically has a hearty appetite. I've noticed a DECREASE in eating, but of course he is still eating drinking and using the litterbox. Hence why we are waiting to see if it's just a large hairball he's trying to work out.

Still open to any helpful advice or experiences. Thanks
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:35 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellivort View Post

We are waiting it out a couple days to see if it passes when the hairball does, but I thought I'd come here and see what others thought.
According to your first post this cats last "normal" eating day was Sunday. Today is Tuesday and you are prepared (as quoted above) to wait a couple more days. No mention anywhere (and I read and reread and reread because I have a literacy problem!!!) and nowhere is there any mention of a vet appointment.

Quote:
I never said he hasn't eaten ANYTHING, before focusing indignation, perhaps work on your literacy.
Actually, the title of this thread is "Cat not eating", not "not eating as usual" or "as much"...

Perhaps if YOU had been clearer (as in your second post) and kept the personal attacks to yourself one of the over 60 other people who have viewed this thread and did not bother to respond might have offered something.

We are not vets on this board. When you post in Pet Health it usually indicates an unusual behavior which would/could/should require dropping $100 at the vet to make sure your furkid is OK.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It's only been a day and a half, but our 2.5 year old longhair isn't eating up to his usual self and my husband said when he tried to meow, now sound came up and seems to be making a faint cough.

My husband thinks it's a hairball. He's a very fluffy long hair cat still shedding his winter layers.

Thanks
you could try to feed your cat a little fish oil and see if that well help him poop out the hairball . Do you bush your to help get rid of the dead fur, it would help cut down on getting hairballs. I would only feed the cat a little fish at a time.
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Ellivort, your thread title "Cat not eating", certainly implies that, well, your cat isn't eating. I was quite alarmed when I read that, as I'm sure diandpat was. Very relieved to hear that he IS actually eating, since cats can develop some serious medical problems if they go more than 48 hrs without food. In the meantime, can you try offering him some plain chicken baby food (make sure it doesn't contain onions or onion powder) with a bit of warm water added? What does your cat normally eat?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Proud Mommy!

Thanks for the tip. You're probably the same person who is draining the Canadian healthcare system when you take your child to the doctor demanding antibiotics everytime they have the sniffls.

I can't believe what an inhospitable and unhelpful place this thread is. I know no one here is a vet.

Why bother having a Pet Health forum? Why not have a "Take your animal to the vet forum". I won't be back.

Thanks
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

[QUOTE]
Quote:
I never said he hasn't eaten ANYTHING, before focusing indignation, perhaps work on your literacy.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. You're probably the same person who is draining the Canadian healthcare system when you take your child to the doctor demanding antibiotics everytime they have the sniffls.

I can't believe what an inhospitable and unhelpful place this thread is. I know no one here is a vet.

Why bother having a Pet Health forum? Why not have a "Take your animal to the vet forum". I won't be back.
The members on this forum are trying to help you, for free....and you respond with rudeness?

My first instinct based on post 1 was some type of partial obstruction....that's bloody serious. Lot's of potential things might be serious. So we encourage you to get a vet appointment asap.... But your rudeness is NOT welcome here. Good luck to your cat.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM

When my big cat swallows to much hair he can appear to not eat for several days. The first thing I do Is put a glob (a little bigger than pea size) of Vasoline on his paw. that usually gets him going again within about 12 hours.

Seems like it would be messy but he actauul licks off the Vasoline immeadiatly and it is totaly gone within 2 minutes.
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=marko;1041473]
Quote:

The members on this forum are trying to help you, for free....and you respond with rudeness?

My first instinct based on post 1 was some type of partial obstruction....that's bloody serious. Lot's of potential things might be serious. So we encourage you to get a vet appointment asap.... But your rudeness is NOT welcome here. Good luck to your cat.
Yeah , I know I said nothing rude to the OP. I was willing to overlook the OP rudeness for the sake of the cat as I was concerned about the cat's health like everyone is.
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:00 PM

I was just catching up on some threads I had missed from earlier this week...

I have to say that what happened here left my head spinning!

At first, I had the impression that Ellivort was a new member - a first-time poster...but, then I noticed that she had several posts credited to her.

I went back and read through the entirety of those threads. http://www.pets.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=6720518

This is someone with an affinity for animals...already with one cat, she is left to deal with the (literally) bloody mess left by her miscreant former neighbours and takes in a wee kitten. She then adopts a lovely dog who turns out to have a potentially dangerous biting behaviour - and we're left without knowing the outcome.

I'm not suggesting excuses for what's happened here.

There is no one here for whom a breaking point doesn't exist...no one who's exempt from brittleness, no one who is not susceptible to that "last straw"...and, from my experience, if one is sufficiently wound up, sometimes that last straw - in retrospect - can be the most innocuous/rediculous/ordinary/unsuspected trigger.

Personally, I feel that this is someone who can contribute and participate positively here - and someone whose return I'd like to see.

Not convinced? Be sure to read through this before deciding http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81252
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Willing cat servant

Yikes
Well I don't think the OP will come back since she/he hasn't been here since the last post but anyways I was going to add that it might be hair balls.
I remember what a headache for Scully and us was. She got sick for like 10 days and it turned out to be a big bad case of furrballs. Now she regularly has hairball remedy twice a week and that has never happened again (and I hope it never will)
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM

hi, new here

I'm new here but I am, oh so familiar, with this problem. Right now I am having a similar one-only my cat is vomiting. It may be hairballs (I hope) and I will take some of the advice i.e. vaseline. My cat has been to the vet but I must say I am more the expert and the vet knows.
I force -fed my other cat for 4 months q2 hours morning and night because he had lipidosis which may be the culprit with this cat (I sure hope not though). With lipidosis you have to push the lipids (fats) out of the liver because cats do not have the ability to store fats in their liver. You must do this like they do when they make pate fois gras -. I built up to 21/2 cans a day when my cat finally took over eating himself. You can have a peg-tube inserted in his abdomen but I did not want to go this route. Only 25% survive the way I did it and I am glad because my cat lived another year and this syndrome returned which is a rarity . It was a secondary disease most probably to cancer. Cats can live with only 10% of their liver. I gave him quality of life for that year.

Ask your vet re: lipidosis.

Last edited by dianelb; July 9th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.