Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 8th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Immigration

Hello guys!

First of all I'm very happy to finally find a forum with a lot of usefull information for pet owners specific in CA.

My name is Raphael and I intend to immigrate to Canada by the end of this year. However I'm planning to take along with me my 120pounds rottweiler. He is very docial and well behaved. But I'm afraid that it will be impossible to find a house or apartament to rent due his size. Anyone of you guys had this experience and could help me on that matter.

Thank you guys, cya!
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi I would love to see a photo of your dog !
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:40 PM

Welcome to the forum Raphael.

Do you have a preferred location that you want to move to? If you can indicate that information it would help members to advise you.

For instance, here in Ontario, there are laws against discrimination on pets in rental units. Some landlords have found ways to circumvent the bylaw.

The province of Ontario has a bylaw against owning a pit bull. There could be exemptions for someone re-locating from another province or out of country.

Depending on where you are anticipating moving to, it would be wise to check into bylaws regarding your particular animal.

Best of luck with your endeavours.
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi and welcome!

you need someone to rent to you first....make that your first priority.
Please tell us which province you are talking about.

If it's a big dog but you can take it out to meet its exercise needs, the apartment size shouldn't be a big issue.

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 11th, 2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Hi I would love to see a photo of your dog !
Hey! Here is he.

https://ibb.co/WWGKYbD
https://ibb.co/LNNGGdY
Old March 11th, 2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Welcome to the forum Raphael.

Do you have a preferred location that you want to move to? If you can indicate that information it would help members to advise you.

For instance, here in Ontario, there are laws against discrimination on pets in rental units. Some landlords have found ways to circumvent the bylaw.

The province of Ontario has a bylaw against owning a pit bull. There could be exemptions for someone re-locating from another province or out of country.

Depending on where you are anticipating moving to, it would be wise to check into bylaws regarding your particular animal.

Best of luck with your endeavours.
Yes, I'm moving to Toronto, the company that I intend to work is located at York Region, so it could be something as 30 miles far at tops.

Yes, I've seen that, but there are not laws against rottweilers. There is just a fee for large dogs, something like this..
Old March 11th, 2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Hi and welcome!

you need someone to rent to you first....make that your first priority.
Please tell us which province you are talking about.

If it's a big dog but you can take it out to meet its exercise needs, the apartment size shouldn't be a big issue.

Good luck!
oh I forgot the province, sry about that. I intend to live in Toronto.

My dog is used to stay outside the house, I don't know if he could get used to live in an apartment. And how it works during the winter, he has to walk something as 2 hours per day, I don't know if it is possible during the winter.
Old March 11th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

That a beautiful dog ! How does your dog get along with other dogs ? I live in New England and people will take their dogs to play group when it too hard to walk their dogs in deep snow. The owners stayed with their at the playgroup my dog and I went .
Old March 12th, 2019, 05:18 AM

Well, I've never let him alone with other dogs, during our walks he sniffs other dogs but never bark to them. I remember once, when a friend brings a dog to my place we tried to put them along, however the other dog was very small and when mine start to sniff him the little one attacks, after that we had to separate them.
Old March 12th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome to pets!!
Just thought I would mention that you will need to check the by laws regarding leaving an animal outdoors in Ontario. There are specific rules on it.
You will need to have a dog license and the cost depends on where you live and weather your dog is neutered or not. I dont like to say this but you will also have to be sure that your neighbors dont have an issue with leaving your dog outside because some people dont think that a dog should be left outside for various reasons. Also for the safety of your dog it might not be something I would do because people do steal dogs but also if he got loose he could be hurt.
There are many condos and apartments that DO allow pets as long as it is approved by them when signing your lease.
Best of Luck
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 13th, 2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Welcome to pets!!
Just thought I would mention that you will need to check the by laws regarding leaving an animal outdoors in Ontario. There are specific rules on it.
You will need to have a dog license and the cost depends on where you live and weather your dog is neutered or not. I dont like to say this but you will also have to be sure that your neighbors dont have an issue with leaving your dog outside because some people dont think that a dog should be left outside for various reasons. Also for the safety of your dog it might not be something I would do because people do steal dogs but also if he got loose he could be hurt.
There are many condos and apartments that DO allow pets as long as it is approved by them when signing your lease.
Best of Luck
Cindy
Thank you Cindy, It was very helpful.
I've no problem wiith leting my dog stay inside the house, I guess he will get used to it. My fear is in him destroying the house, but I has to be a trainer or someone that could fix this particular problem.
At the moment, I've decided to let him with my mom when I immigrate, and after that, when I find some good place I might bring him to live with me.
Old March 14th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Some folks would say its easy for a dog to adapt but sometimes they dont at least thats my opinion only. If they are used to being FREE outside then it can be a challenge to keep them from wanting to be outside.

I can see it being a challenge to potty train them because they can freely do that when they please outdoors amongst some other challenges. Possibly the weather difference as well.

Love your pics BTW forgot to mention how gorgeous your dog is. I love the fact he has his tail LOL not something you see very often in a Rotti...

Judging from your pics he is gonna miss you

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 14th, 2019, 04:23 PM

Yeah, everytime when he enters inside the house he become quieter. I don't know if he gets used to it he starts to be crazy again kkkk

The weather difference is a big fear of mine. I have no ideal how would be to walk with him during the winter. And as a immigrant, everthing is very difficult, with a big dog it becomes harder. Omg, what a hard decision.

Thank you, he is awesome

It is against the law cut dogs tail in Brazil, as I bought him from a very well know breeder we came with the tail. At first I didn't like but know that I know how important it is for the dog I love it.

IDK who is gonna miss each other most kkk it breaks my heart just to think about leave him behind.