Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Question Vanillin?

Hi there. My 4 yr old chihuahua/terrier mix has allergies and is on medication from the vet. From time to time his allergies flare up a bit and my vet told me it was ok to give him children's benedryl. I ran out today and asked my father to pick me up some. What he brought home was a store brand name children's allergy liquid. It's too late now to get to the store and buy the actual benedryl brand name, and my vet is away. I have checked the ingredients list and everything is exactly the same, except that the store brand has something called vanillin. I have tried doing searches for this online but I am getting some really confusing information, (1) that it's dangerous, but (2) that you can buy "herbal" safe products for dogs with this ingredient. Has anyone here ever heard of this and can you tell me if it's safe to give my dog?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - it's not an emergency so I didn't think it would go under the dog health part.
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:56 PM

Just based on the conflicting info and that this is not the product advised by your vet I would not give it. I would return it to the store purchased from tomorrow & find a store that has the children's benedryl.

Even if a store brand has the same ingredients they may not be in the same quantities or quality of that which is recommended. You already know how your dog reacts to the benedryl, the addition of 1 or 2 extra ingredients may cause an adverse reaction with the medication your dog is already on.

hope your dog is feeling better soon

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying