Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM

Switch to raw, cold turkey, literally!

Variety is the key.

Chicken, turkey and duck- The whole thing, or parts, quartered, chopped, frozen or thawed, necks, backs, organs, skin...
Beef - Marrow bone, heart(muscle meat), green tripe(uncleaned stomach, very important), organs, fat, tongue, tendons, one pound chunks, frozen or thawed...
Lamb - Same rules as beef. Green tripe, beef or lamb, is mandatory once a week...
Pork - Pork neck bones are always cheap at the meat counter, whatever you can find will work.
Mackeral or sardines - Fresh or frozen, canned in water with as little salt as possible...
Bison, deer, elk, moose, rabbit - the more the merrier, are you noticing a trend?
Kelp powder, alfalpha powder, salmon oil - Vitamins and omega-3. Some would insist on these suppliments.
No grains, especially wheat. No salt. No cooking.

Don't be afraid of your dog choking on RAW bones, dogs are natural masters of regurgitation. If it's too big of a chunk, they'll bring it back up and try again. It's how wolves feed their pups in the wild. And, chewing on bones is the best thing for their teeth. It physically cleans the teeth, it makes them produce an enzyme that naturally kils bacteria and gets rid of plaque, and it stimulates their digestive system to properly digest the impending meal.
NO COOKED or SMOKED bones though, those will cause grief.

Don't worry about salmonella or e-coli either, as far as your dog is concerned. Keep your kitchen clean and tidy, of course, and don't give them obviously rotten meat either. But remember, dogs sometimes eat poop, drink from mud puddles, roll in dead animals and lick themselves. Dogs digestive systems are very different from humans, bacteria that would make us sick has no real effect on them. My dog eats goose poop like it was candy, gross to me, not to her.

As for the issue of no scientific data... a hundred thousand years of gray wolf evolution in the wild is more than enough scientific evidence for me that dogs are carnivores and should only be fed raw.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM

wow i lost track of this thread for a while. Let me tell you, since making the original thread, i've been totally sold on raw.

if anyone is worried about chicken bones, just try breaking and crushing the smaller ones with your fingers, they are real soft when raw. my dog is a tiny 10lb little guy, and he chews through (smaller) bones just fine.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Chow Pei Rescue

New candidate

In an attempt to offer more 'hands on' experiences, we just took in another pei, and as you can see from these pictures, she looks like hell. We will document her progress over the next two months so that you can see her changes. She is on raw ( naturally ), the only other drug at this point is a sulfer shampoo to calm down the yeast and quell the scratching. We are applying straight vinegar to the areas and she will be tested for thyroid issues.... the rest will be food healing.

As you can see from the pictures, the bottom half of her is entirely bald , (including parts of her pretty face), and has turned into leather.

Stay tuned

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww, Merlin's Hope, you are such a sweetie to help this dog. I can't wait to see the transformation as you do your "handywork". I hope some vets will be watching too.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:37 PM

Thinking of going raw for my kittens...

My kittens are about 9 months... I have been looking online for pros and cons of a raw food diet... I do not want to do the "homemade" diet but the medallions. I tell you what... I am more confused then I started out being before I started doing the research... What age should one start feeding raw and what else should I add to there diet to make sure that they are getting all the vitamins and minerals that they need to stay healthy and strong... They do not seem to lake there dry food and I have gone throu 4 different types of dry foods... They will not eat it much. They seem to like canned foods but I know that it is not that healthy for them... So I figured I would take the leap into raw foods.. If anyone can help me with this that would be great... Thanks in advanced...
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Who told you canned food is not healthy for your cats? It is a fact that canned food is a whole lot healthier for them than any dry you can feed. It is the dry food that is creating a whole new group of illness' in cats. Of course the better quality of canned foods you can afford to feed the better it is for your cat. Foods like Wellness, Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, even some of the Fancy Feasts pates are all good choices.
The site listed below is one of Sugarcatmom's favourite sites. It gives tons of information on what you should be feeding your cats. I don't think you will find one dry food in it recommended for them to eat. There are also recipes for making your own cat food. Pretty easy to do. It just takes a little time and effort on our part. But aren't our pets worth it?
http://www.catinfo.org/

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Who told you canned food is not healthy for your cats?
A vet that I work for told me that it is not good for there digestive tract nor is it good for there teeth. I am not saying that she is right nor am I saying that you are... I mostly wanted info on a raw foods diet for the kittens and at what age is healthy. Also wanted to know what kind of vit/men I needed for them if I do decide to do the raw.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyakitty View Post
A vet that I work for told me that it is not good for there digestive tract nor is it good for there teeth. I am not saying that she is right nor am I saying that you are...
The vet is wrong. Sadly, she's probably spreading this misinformation to her clients and doing more harm than good.

Anyway, if you read the link that 14+ gave you, there is lots of info on how to make your own balanced raw meals for your kitties (written by one of the few vets that knows a thing or two about feline nutrition). You can start them on raw anytime, the sooner the better.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There is nothing better than a properly prepared raw diet for your cats. I have seen the difference for myself over and over again. I have had different vets comment on what a wonderful physique my foster kittens have (all on raw diets). The kittens were started on the raw diet from the point of weaning or when they arrived into my house, so from 3 weeks to 6 weeks of age.

I do find the premade raw may have too much bone in it for some cats and has made some of my cats a bit constipated so I have had to add some fresh meat to them. Also, I found it terribly expensive.

Also if you want to have the teeth benefit, then you need to feed them chunks, preferable with some chicken bone in it. That has made a world of difference in my Jasper's teeth.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey