Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 26th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I got the same thing...
So I emailed back...

Me: Yes, but haven't you also added more oats?

SG: The millet and barley were reduced and the oatmeal was increased, so the overall amount of grain in the food is the same, even though the amount of the individual grains has changed.

Me: So if the grains decreased, why the need for a stool hardener (i.e. slow fiber) like tomato pomace?

SG: We have to keep the same amount of fiber in the food so that it continues to meet AAFCO specifications. In this case, however, the tomato pomace was added as a source of anitoxidents and it has the benefit of being a source of fiber as well so we were able to address two separate issues with one ingredient.

Me: But the quantity of grains didn't change, so why is there a need for more fiber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NEW* Answer from SG
One of the most common complaints we receive is large stool volume. To address this, we added a source of soluble fiber to aid in digestive tract health and reduce the stool volume. Tomato pomace is an alternative to beet pulp in this regard.

Best regards,

Solid Gold
Ohhh. So it WAS originally put in there for the stool hardening effects and NOT for the lycopene.
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM

That's terrible! Solid gold didn't even reply to me! I'm not happy with them at all!
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:17 PM

lol they're too busy replying to me all the time. I make them pass their one email a day quota.
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
-

Wellness (Old Mother Hubbard) still hasn't answered my email or Timberwolf Organics from ages ago. If they can't be bothered with me then I can't be bothered with them therefore would never buy their food again.

The only companies that have answered me promptly are Innova (Naturapet), Go Natural (Petcurean) and Acana/Orijen (Champion Pet Food).
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Honest Contributor

yay for customer service! don't they know anything about retaining clients?... you spend 10 times more $ attracting a new client than retaining an old one. sheesh. somebody's resting on their laurels...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM
-

I agree. From now on, customer service is a big part of of what I will feed my boys. Do you think we could get a "sticky" that lists the companies with good customer service?
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Owned by goldens

Solid Gold

I have sent 3 e-mails to SG and still have not received a response and we are going on at least day 4. DVP Natural Balance answered my questions within 1 day. And.... I am getting some coupons and a frequent buyers card too. Oh Happy Day!

Last edited by coppperbelle; September 26th, 2006 at 09:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Wellness was pretty good with me last time. Merrick is always great with me.. Timberwolf.. not so much.
hmm.. there was another one that started with an A that never ever got back to me (must have blocked it out...).
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Good letter Prin, its true. " the pen is mightier than the sword" ( or in your case the keyboard)
If that letter didnt get to the point, nothing will.
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:25 PM

thanks.. I'm just mad.
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Honest Contributor

prin, that letter kicks *ss!! i couldn't have written it better. do you think they will reply to it?... well not much to reply to but still... CUSTOMER SERVICE basic rules, dangnabit!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 26th, 2006, 09:34 PM

They've replied to about 4 or 5 emails so far in the past week, but none were this harsh... (I posted them all... just questions). This will probably blindside whoever is reading my emails a bit...
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
-

Excellent letter, Prin .....I hope you get a reply.
Old September 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I presume the owner of Holistic Blendz is Canadian. I went to the Holistic Blends website to check it out. The ingredients were printed so small I couldn't even read them with my reading glasses on. I was at the pet store yesterday and they had a bag of the cat food there and it listed menadione as an ingredient so I wonder if it's in the dog food as well?
Do you mean Holistic Blend? I thought Holistic Blendz was a SG product. If you are referring to the Canadian company Holistic Blend I think you may have gone to the wrong website. Their ingredient list is printed quite large and there is no menadione in the cat food.
Old September 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I presume the owner of Holistic Blendz is Canadian. I went to the Holistic Blends website to check it out. The ingredients were printed so small I couldn't even read them with my reading glasses on. I was at the pet store yesterday and they had a bag of the cat food there and it listed menadione as an ingredient so I wonder if it's in the dog food as well?
Do you mean Holistic Blend? I thought Holistic Blendz was a SG product. If you are referring to the Canadian company Holistic Blend I think you may have gone to the wrong website. Their ingredient list is printed quite large and there is no menadione in the cat food.

www.holisticblend.com
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Performance Spaniels

Holistic Blend is the other owner of solid gold, or rather until a few years ago was. They split ways, and she started up holistic blend instead and hasn't changed ingredients since then apparently.

I sent my unhappy letter to solid gold a week ago also pointing out I'm not a stupid consumer I never got a reply either.
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:42 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I'm sorry to resurrect a silent thread, but I was curious what everyone who had been feeding SGWK changed over to. Simon and Peaches both were doing well on the new formula until about a week ago, and now both are a tad loose and Peaches has been more picky than usual in the past 2 days (though she's been steadily getting worse). I'm concerned that whatever they're reacting to has built over time (last 2 months since I got the new bags). I'm leaning towards Merrick, but am welcome to suggestions (we can't get TO here :/)

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM

I switched to Evo, but I'm not 100% happy. Their coats are duller and Jemma is still dandruffy if I don't give her enough fish oil. I dunno. I thought about going back to SG to Barking at the Moon since it's readily available and cheaper than the Evo too... (even though the company isn't right...)

Any allergies to be concerned about?
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Live well, laugh often

I tried Riley on Barking at the Moon and he did pretty well for about 2-3 weeks and then was steadily having more poop issues and it just wasn't quite right for him. I did notice a very strong fishy smell about it.

Last edited by TeriM; December 11th, 2006 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Woops, didn't read the right post
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

No known allergies for either Peaches or Simon, so anything is pretty much on the docket for trying. I just hate to see her looking so miserable cuz things aren't normal and she tries so hard

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Performance Spaniels

TO here.. but I bought it in NY last month I can't get it locally enough. Cider doesn't like the Ocean bag, and her poop is hit and miss.