Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Just wanted to give a brief update - Bailey has only broken out once more (on wed afternoon) since then no hives (knock on wood!) we still dont know waht the allergy is, and she still scratches and bites, but benadryl is helping and I jsut got her Nutro natural choice lamb and rice food....... it was the best I could find at petsmart
on another positive note, I have her in clicker/positive training at a local doggie daycare and so far she is proving VERY smart and eager to learn! I had some people tell me before that beagles are difficult to train and arent very "eager to please" - but so far taht is not the case with her! she has a few problem behaviors we are working on, but feel good about how fast she is catching on
Thanks again!
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I would hold off on medication until you've tried the new food for at least two months to see if the itching and hives go away.

Like most hounds, Beagles were bred to hunt and work independantly and make their own decisions. They are not stupid, they are just so intent on following scent that it's difficult to get them to focus on anything else.

Even the most well trained Beagle is likely to bolt when off leash, so don't be lulled into a false sense of security and let her run loose.
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Lucky Rescue-
i dont feel like I can hold off on the benadryl right now becasue its the only thing that seems to keep her semi sane when it starts to wear off she gets kind of agitated, scratching and biting, and acts liek she wants to crawl out of her skin!
I do see the focus trouble at times when I am training her in areas where there is alot goign on - but as for the bolting, we have been the opposite (over cautious) because our shephard mix "wild dog from guam" bolts at the first opportunity and we are so afraid she will be that way. so far she is very good about coming to us, but we are still very careful about where she is off her leash and when I practice "stay" and walk away from her I keep a long lead dropped on the ground so if she starts to bolt I can step on it or grab it.
we have a long way to go, but so far so good