Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Abdominal pain please help

I posted a reply in another thread thinking I was starting a new one, so I am going to try again. I am a newbie so sorry about that..

My Dog is having some pain in his abdomin. I noticed this on Saturday and I took him to the Vet that afternoon. He was stretching his legs and could not get comfortable and he would whine. The vet said give him pepcid ac and a bland diet. At about 2:30 in the morning he could not move with out whimpering and could not go up or down the steps. I took him back to the Emergency vet. They did an xray and said they could not see anything in his stomach or a cracked rib or anything else. They did note that he was having definite pain in his abdomin but they were not sure why. they gave him some pain meds and told me to watch him for a few days. Today is wednesday and he does not seem to be in as much pain but he does seem to be in some. He is not jumping around like usual, and sometime is reluctant to go up the steps and other times he runs right up them. My husband picked him up yesterday afternoon and he did not yelp, I came home and fed him then picked him up about 30 to 45 min later and he yelped so I don't know if it gets worse after he eats or not. He does not have any other signs but this, No vomiting, Stool seems ok. It was a little yellow today but I think that could be from the chicken and rice or the pain meds. I just don't know weather to so worried over this when it might be nothing. Any advice would be great.
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Queen

It sounds like some of the symptoms of bloat but if they did an x-ray you'd think they would have found that. I'd consider asking for some bloodwork as well in case it is a problem with his pancrease or another organ. Sorrry I don't really know what else to suggest, sometimes even after vets feel around and do tests they miss stuff and you have to keep going back until someone gets to the bottom of it.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

As I was reading your post, I asked myself if the pup in question was a Dachshund - so I looked at your profile. Is the sick pup the Dachshund or the Husky. In either case, I would go back to vet - if it is your Dachshund, I would be there today, wanting X-Rays and blood tests etc. Dachshunds can suffer from bloat and pancreas, but many of the symptoms are those of back/neck disease. I know this from vast personal experience. Please report back.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM

It is the Doxie.. The vet said they did not feel that it was bloat or anything serious. they said maybe the husky got a little to ruff with him and hurt him. My gut tells me otherwise. They said if he vomits bring him in immediatley but he has not and he is eating fine. You know how Doxies are, LOVE TO EAT .
They also said they did not feel that any test were needed for the pancreas unless he threw up... I think I will take him again to make sure.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Since you're paying, you can always just demand a test for the pancreas.
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Many Dachshunds live their lives with calcified discs that do not cause pressure on the spinal cord, resulting in paralysis. Then there are the many Dachshunds who are not so lucky. Often what will cause an "event" is simply playing with another dog. Sometimes only one disc is affected, sometimes it is every disc in the back and neck (have been through this twice with my 2 special guys). If this is what has happened, you need to find out as soon as possible in order to start treatment. I do not want to alarm you, but I have been through Stages I and II and full body surgery - twice. I am very surprised your vet did not do an in-house X-Ray - especially if she suspects that your dog might have been rough housing with your husky. There may well be a different problem with your pup, but I would have the back issue checked out first.
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM
-

I agree with SnowDancer ~ we've heard from quite a few Doxie people on the board who have had to rush their dog's in for emergency surgery due to vertebrae issues. I would definitely be asking my Vet to look more closely at the back issue. Let us know how you make out
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM

I spoke to the vet last night and he did not seemed to worried, he did say that if it does not get better to bring him in for some blood test. Gambit was doing good last night he played a little with his ball and then he jumped on the couch and moved the covers all around until he had them just right. This morning he seemed good, I took him out to potty and he only peed so I fed him and then took him back out, He still did not go but it was wet out and it is normal for him to be picky about it, Then I went to bring him back up and he did not want to go up the steps. He had no problem the first time in the morning and he had no problem going down them so I called the vet again and I have an appointment. Wish my little man luck. I will let you know how it goes.
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Half Way To Crazy

good luck keep us posted