Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM

German shepherd dog help required.

My 9 year old German shepherd(female) recently stopped eating suddenly about 4 days back. We called a local vet who usually treats her and he gave her 2 injections( of what I couldn't obtain information but I assume it was just pain killers).He said it was just a basic stomach infection.She started eating the same evening but had a lot of discomfort in the night. I stayed up with her and took her immediately to a vet hospital the next morning where we conducted blood tests. The reports showed she had BUN : 78.2 and creatine:6. The doctor told us she has kidney failure and we should abandon all hope. He suggested IV fluids and Renal Diet and Sucralfate for the stomache. My family and I are yet to recover from this . I t was a shock. I didnt believe the doctor and consulted with a second doctor anyhow. Though he confirmed the fact he suggested Azodyl.
Now,my question is that whenever I give my dog sucralfate she ends up vomiting instantly. The doctor is not responding and is very rude. Is she allergic to it.? Is it advisable to give it even after she keeps throwing up yellow pleghm and the sucralfate along with it?Is the sucralfate causing her pain?If anyone has been through this please help.

We started giving her Azodyl today.
I would just like to add that my dog is of a very fiery character right from childhood. She was very adventurous and even now is filled with loads of energy.And I will not give up my efforts in making her survive.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I would go to germanshepherds.com and look up the kidney posts by UConnGSD. She has a young GSD who has been in kidney failure for many years and has done wonders managing him. You can post in the health section there, and also pm her so she will read your post, I don't know if she goes to that forum anymore.

GSDs can have genetic issues with their kidneys, but they are also susceptible to E. Coli infections that damage them. Lyme disease or other tick diseases can also cause acute kidney failure.

Azodyl is good stuff, works for some, some seem not to tolerate it. A bit of baking soda in water given after meals can help with the acidity in kidney disease.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumshenoy View Post
My 9 year old German shepherd(female) recently stopped eating suddenly about 4 days back. We called a local vet who usually treats her and he gave her 2 injections( of what I couldn't obtain information but I assume it was just pain killers).He said it was just a basic stomach infection.She started eating the same evening but had a lot of discomfort in the night. I stayed up with her and took her immediately to a vet hospital the next morning where we conducted blood tests. The reports showed she had BUN : 78.2 and creatine:6. The doctor told us she has kidney failure and we should abandon all hope. He suggested IV fluids and Renal Diet and Sucralfate for the stomache. My family and I are yet to recover from this . I t was a shock. I didnt believe the doctor and consulted with a second doctor anyhow. Though he confirmed the fact he suggested Azodyl.
Now,my question is that whenever I give my dog sucralfate she ends up vomiting instantly. The doctor is not responding and is very rude. Is she allergic to it.? Is it advisable to give it even after she keeps throwing up yellow pleghm and the sucralfate along with it?Is the sucralfate causing her pain?If anyone has been through this please help.

We started giving her Azodyl today.
I would just like to add that my dog is of a very fiery character right from childhood. She was very adventurous and even now is filled with loads of energy.And I will not give up my efforts in making her survive.
Does your dog get the sucralfate with food , if not would it help to made sure she has eaten first? I would not use the vet anymore if he is rude.
I am sorry to hear your dog is sick. When my dog had cancer in his kidney he would vomit right after eating and was not able to eat at the end.
Old July 25th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I forgot to mention, if the values are increased because there is a current infection (lyme, lepto, e.coli, etc.), treating the infection can improve the kidney function.

There are two yahoo lists - one on canine kidney disease, and one on canine kidney diets. They may also be helpful.

Tags
german shepherd, kidney failure