Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 25th, 2010, 01:41 AM

Question...little embaressed...first post

Hi, I am new here and I am a new dog owner. He is a four year old male Boston Terrier and he is a really good dog. We have only had him for a couple of days, but just today we came upon a little problem. My wife and I wanted to go into the bedroom (if you know what I mean), so we decided to close the door and leave Mr Frodo (the dog) out of the room. So afterward (a few minutes...lol) we found that Mr Frodo had urinated on one of the chairs in our living room.
I was just wondering, is it okay to leave the dog in the same room while your doing the mattress dance? Or should they always stay out of the room? So this is an odd first post and I appreciate any help. Thanks
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG LOL...slap an tickle time at our house is interesting. One of my four dogs are like in our face going "whatcha doing Dad?" If you handle the little voyeur who cares.. I am still laughing....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:45 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

our two are usually in the room, mind you they were quickly trained not to be on the bed. Pupper was probably more upset with being locked away from you than wanting to watch.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

You quickly learn that once you have pets, you pretty much have little or no privacy. I haven't had a moment alone for about 3 years, but I absolutely don't mind.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM

It appears from talking with the previous owner that he is a jealous and possessive dog...this must have some factor in his behavior, but I'm still confused as to what to do...
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

not quite sure which issue you're asking for help with,,the pupper in the bedroom durring sex or the jealousy and possesive behavior...

If you don't want him in the room and are concerned about him marking while you're occupied elsewhere. you could crate him, or give him a nummy treat that will last awhile.

the jealous and possessivness, you need to practice NILF, he needs to learn that anything he has comes from you.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
not quite sure which issue you're asking for help with,,the pupper in the bedroom durring sex or the jealousy and possesive behavior...

If you don't want him in the room and are concerned about him marking while you're occupied elsewhere. you could crate him, or give him a nummy treat that will last awhile.

the jealous and possessivness, you need to practice NILF, he needs to learn that anything he has comes from you.
yeah, sort of had a double barreled there...I guess I'm asking help for both issues. And what is NILF? I'm guessing there's a link to NILF somewhere on here. Thanks
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:57 AM
-

ALL joking aside...if he is urinating now to show his displeasure, he will only escalate his behaviour if you don't nip it in the bud asap. As well, he may start to react when you and your partner-in-crime attempt ANY affection in front of him.

Nothing In Life Is Free = NILF. There are a ton of threads around.
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others. NILF is essential, and probably some basic obedience training just to learn respect for you as new owners. Give him a bed (or crate) on the floor of your room and let him (make him) sleep there unless you specifically give him permission to get on the bed. My two each have a bed on the floor in the bedroom, they go there on their own at their bedtimes. One sleeps right through our adventures, and the other one gets up and moves out into the hallway of her own accord until we are done. You have to set the boundaries for your new boy, and you need to do it quickly. If you are not familiar with crate training, there are lots of threads on here with that also. It will take time though if he is not used to it. You can try freezing a kong with peanutbutter and treats inside it and give him this on his bed when you're "busy" to occupy him.
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Very good question actually. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

I agree with the others that boundries are important. Since he is new to your house hold, it is important to set ALL boundries now and not just this one.

Everyone is giving great advice. On a personal note (though I have not been 'busy' for sometime), I never let my animals hang out while the deed was being done...just alittle 'creepy' for me.
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:48 PM

thanks everyone, I will take a look at crate training. any good threads off hand that anyone has handy? Because it is new to me..,thanks
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Doggie Wench

On crate training: http://www.sfspca.org/sites/default/files/crating_0.pdf
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
OK thanks...well our dog is crate trained from the previous owners, so I guess the obvious answer to my original question would be to put him into his crate during those intimate times?? I never was a big fan of a crate, but I he is used to it and I am starting to see that it can be very useful. At first, it seems kind of cruel (at least to me), but now I can definetely see a good use for it.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:52 PM

You know, I'd never heard of crating before we moved to North America (from Europe). I thought it was cruel too, but when we were researching dogs, we found some good info (including the link that LP just gave) about it and were determined to have our dog used to crates.

When she was about 4 months old, we went camping, and took her with us. We *thankfully* had the crate with us too. She was barking at every odd and unfamiliar sound, until we put her in the crate. It is our belief that she suddenly felt that she only had to protect that tiny little space of the crate, rather than our entire campsite. The moment she was in the crate, she slept through the night.

She is now no longer crated at night, but we still crate her at least once a day, just because. It's mostly for an hour or two at most, but it's time for her to relax and time for me to get on with things. I pick up the kids, I do some errands, and she doesn't come out the moment we come home either. She comes out when WE say she comes out. So we come and go while she's in the crate.

Plus we know that she's comfortable with the crate when she needs to be crated. That's a big bonus for us too. And she's not reluctant to go in either. We tell her to go in, she goes in, she waits for us to close the door.

We're actually quite happy to have the crate. She is now 9 months old, and we'll slowly train her to be on her own in the kitchen while we aren't in the house, and from thereon to the rest of the house... but for now, we're happy to know she's safely in the crate, unable to get into trouble, and so forth, and so forth.

(oh, and yes, she does get crated when it's playtime for dh and me - otherwise she's constantly wanting to join in on the fun. Umm - no.)
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

If dogs are properly crate trained they will love to be in their crate and retreat there in times of chaos and termoil in the house. As for the urinating when you are otherwise occupied, I have a dog that does that. Asking a behaviorist she said that it was a moderate form of seperation anxiety. I think your better off putting him in the crate with a kong for his anxiety or even letting him be in the room. Mine just all go their pillows and lay down.

Imagine how horrible it must sound to a puppy when you lock the door and make a ruckus lol.
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3beagles View Post
If dogs are properly crate trained they will love to be in their crate and retreat there in times of chaos and termoil in the house. As for the urinating when you are otherwise occupied, I have a dog that does that. Asking a behaviorist she said that it was a moderate form of seperation anxiety. I think your better off putting him in the crate with a kong for his anxiety or even letting him be in the room. Mine just all go their pillows and lay down.

Imagine how horrible it must sound to a puppy when you lock the door and make a ruckus lol.
Great, thanks for your info! Mr Frodo has absolutely no problems going into the crate, we tell him to and he goes in on his own free will. I am now starting to think that's it's not cruel if it's used for the right reasons. He does sleep with us on the bed at night and there are no problems.
But he has urinated twice and i dont know if it's a jealousy thing or if it's because of the new surrounding and he's marking it
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Another advantage of the crate (aside from the incentive dogs have to avoid soiling it if possible) is that if there is an accident crates are MUCH easier to clean than your favorite ...insert item here...
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-