Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
-

How to get dogs out of plants ?

A friend of mine just moved in with her new BF. He has 2 dogs and one of them keeps going in her plants. Personally , I would tell her to get rid of the plants but .... before I do that , is there anything she can do ? Other then fence the plants off the dogs ?

and yes , I know some plants are dangerous to dogs.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Ok...dumb question ...are they indoor or outdoor plants?

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Dont know if it will work for dogs but for the cats when they were kittens they always were in the plants.....(eventually the plants diappeared! ) but I used to take orange peels and place them in the pot...they hate citrus...

I also used to get nylons and cover the base of the planter up to the stalk of the plant with them and this way if they dug in th plant they didnt make as much of a mess!

Lastly Vicks Vapor rub..open the jar and sit it by the plants...cats hated it but dont know if a dog would?? maybe the dog would like it and eat the vicks??

Blocking off the area may work but not if there are plants all over the house??

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
Ok...dumb question ...are they indoor or outdoor plants?
oups sorry , I should have specified , they're inside plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post

Lastly Vicks Vapor rub..open the jar and sit it by the plants...cats hated it but dont know if a dog would?? maybe the dog would like it and eat the vicks??
hey ! that might work !!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:11 PM

Hi Frenchy,

Sorry, I just couldn't resist laughing a bit as I read your post, as it reminds me exactly of Brynn! When I first got her, she had some weird sort of fetish for my plants... she wouldn't destroy them, but just loved to push them off whatever they were sitting on, thus putting soil everywhere! (Not fun to clean up! )

The simplest solution I found was just to place them up where she couldn't get at them... :shrug Sorry, that's probably not much help, but it worked the best... once they were up for a few months she lost interest in them, and I now have them all over the house and she doesn't bother with them...

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post

The simplest solution I found was just to place them up where she couldn't get at them... :shrug Sorry, that's probably not much help,
that's ok , like I said , I will offer her suggestions , if they don't work , I'll tell her to put the plants on the curb
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

How to get dogs

Ruby who closely resembles your pom Jack liked to take the earth out of my 3floor model plants and deposit it in her bed or just spread it on the floor and roll in it, eat it, etc. so I ended up putting tinfoil over the base of the pots and she hasn't touched them since, think the crackle of the foil scares her.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
so I ended up putting tinfoil over the base of the pots and she hasn't touched them since, think the crackle of the foil scares her.
ohhhh that could work too !
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This is so freaky, Frenchy--I just got a call from a friend of mine asking if I knew why she suddenly began eating the dirt out of her houseplants! I sort of had to tell her, ""... Now I'm wondering if it's just the time of year or something, since she doesn't seem to be the only one.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
This is so freaky, Frenchy--I just got a call from a friend of mine asking if I knew why she suddenly began eating the dirt out of her houseplants! I sort of had to tell her, ""... Now I'm wondering if it's just the time of year or something, since she doesn't seem to be the only one.
tell your friend to see a doctor ,human eating dirt is not good
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I must be tired.

I meant that she wondered why her golden (who happens to be a she, too) started eating the dirt out of her houseplants.

Oh, jeez....now I'm laughing so hard I'm wheezing! I really must be tired!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

I must be tired.

I meant that she wondered why her golden (who happens to be a she, too) started eating the dirt out of her houseplants.

Oh, jeez....now I'm laughing so hard I'm wheezing! I really must be tired!
I read it twice to make sure and yes , you did say she was the one eating dirt

but her golden , makes more sense
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy you guys are making me laugh. That's how I read Hazel's post too!

I like the tinfoil idea and the vicks, I used to put chilli peppers on the soil, or chilli spice.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Our dogs might be deterred for a short while by the foil (till Brier figured out it was fun to chew ) but if I let them, they'd probably eat Vicks for lunch and consider it a delicacy.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Frenchy you guys are making me laugh. That's how I read Hazel's post too!
I'm not sure it was Hazel who posted , she'll probably say it was MADAME Hazel
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

No, I think it was TDFO. She's always had trouble getting her pronouns straight.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Ok...indoor plants are easy

Another vote for tin foil around the base...my two picked on this one poor plant that sits next to the love seat (dirt got EVERYWHERE), but after the tin foil, they kept away...another good thing too is that when you water, the soil stays moist a bit longer, but if you leave the edges up a little, it doesn't grow mold. When the foil got too ugly, I put smaller river rocks over the dirt (the ones you get at the loonie stores) instead...not completely covering it, but enough that both kittehs seem to be still leaving it alone
Attached Images

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby

Last edited by TacoGrl; February 3rd, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:08 AM

too funny !!

After having a soso day, coming here & reading all this is hilarious !! A comedy "petwork" !
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

Callie did that when we first got her. We put tape sticky side up all around the base of the plant. When she went anywhere near it she got sticky tape all over her paws. She never did it again. Another suggestion would be to put chair mat (the kind you put your rolling desk chair on so it doesn't permanently mark the carpet) nubbley side up. The beauty of these techniques is that you won't be there when the trap is sprung so they won't associate the unpleasantness with you and therefore only dig in the plants when your not in the vacinity.