Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM

This Dog Food Just Blows My Mind....

As some of you know it's been an up hill battle trying to find my fur baby a food that he would enjoy or at the very least one that he would eat. I have tried so many foods both wet and dry and each time the result was always the same. He would maybe eat it for a day then go two days without eating. This even held true with cooking him some ground turkey or beef.

I then would try making gravy or add in baby food or ever sprinkle some cheese on top just so it would peek his interest. Again nothing would work without jumping through hoops.

My other problem was that he was not drinking enough water. I must of tried everything to get him do drink water but it wasn't working.

After battling a UTI of his since July I just didn't know what to do. I had a long talk with my Vet and I was trying to figure out what changed. He was on a good food but right before the UTI started I changed him to Natural Balance. Now this is a good food but this was the only thing up to date that he would even consider eating. I asked if a food could produce a high protein level in his urine or even cause a UTI and I was told no. But that must have something to do with it since nothing else changed.

After coming here in shear frustration and knowing that there is a lot of good advice some suggested that I try raw feeding. Now I gotta tell you the thoughts of throwing my Shih Tzu a chicken neck or other things it just turned my stomach to do this.

I googled about Raw diets for animals and there are a lot of pros and cons with this subject but in my research I came across a website www.onlynaturalpet.com on this website they had a EasyRaw dehydrated Dog food which sounded great. I ordered this and received it by Fed Ex this Sat. Now as for transition from one food to the new that wasn't going to be a problem since he wouldn't eat the old I had no choice but to give him the new.

To my surprise he eat the whole bowl and not just that he ate it, but he licked it clean. OK so I figured that it was something new so this would quickly dissipate. It has not. In fact today I feed him and again he cleaned his plate. I also decided to prepare the food early for tonight so that it would have time to suck up all the water that you are suppose to mix with this. 1/2 cup of food to 1 cup of water. Well this afternoon the puppy was sitting in the kitchen by the pantry. This was strange because he never did this. I went in to see what he wanted or if maybe his water was empty. When I opened the refrigerator he went nuts. So I took out the food and gave him a bit more to see if maybe he wanted food but I wasn't sure since this never happened before. OMG he ran right over and eat the bowl again licking his plate. This has never ever happened before.

He loves this food. It's also helping with the water issues since he gets a cup of water with the food and he also is drinking. I can't say enough about this food. So far so good. I also wanted to note that even though we did not take our time to transition to the new food we had not one problem.

I want to thank who ever suggested this to me it's been a God sent. Now rather then worry about Sace not eating or drinking I can enjoy having my puppy.

This site has many great things if you get a chance I would suggest that you take a look.

Sami
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Great news Jasp!!! So glad your pup has found a food he's doing well on.

Quote:
I also wanted to note that even though we did not take our time to transition to the new food we had not one problem.
I might get a lot of gripe for saying this, but I am not a believer in slow transition with foods, UNLESS a dog/cat has stomach/intestinal tract issues. In fact, IME I've noticed that more dogs exhibit runny stools when a transition is made (because of the combining two different foods at once which can often times cause stomach upset) compared to just switching them immediatley.

Glad it's working for you and your family!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad that your puppy is eating well! That is great news!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

That is really good news!

I've often found that when you are trying to switch foods - your dog will pick out all the new stuff and leave the old in the bowl anyway. Makes it tough to do a slow transition if they won't eat the old stuff.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:45 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

That is a great product. The only big downside I see is the cost. I just could not see myself paying that much for everyday feeding of 3 rawfed pets. I have bookmarked the page though. If we get the time to do a hiking trip again this summer, that would be a much better alternative to what I have done in the past for Melei's trip meals.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:26 PM

The customer service there is second to none. They are extremely helpful with the list of questions that I had for them. Sace is loving the food and I'm thrilled with it. For me the food will last a couple of months so yes it's expensive but at least he's eating it and I'm not throwing it away not to mention I'm only feeding one. My Vet bills alone due to him not drinking or the protein in the dry kibbles so far has been over 500.00 since July so if this solves the problem then it's worth it. It's a great website.
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Great news Jasp!!! So glad your pup has found a food he's doing well on.

I might get a lot of gripe for saying this, but I am not a believer in slow transition with foods, UNLESS a dog/cat has stomach/intestinal tract issues. In fact, IME I've noticed that more dogs exhibit runny stools when a transition is made (because of the combining two different foods at once which can often times cause stomach upset) compared to just switching them immediatley.

Glad it's working for you and your family!

I agree 100% with you.. Ive never done a slow transition and we've been fine..

Im glad the food has worked.. I had the same problems with keely. she wouldnt eat ANYTHING. Luckily she really loves orijen. she wouldnt even eat RAW! Unless it was cut up steak. And she is not living off of steak!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.