Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM

POOP QUESTION....lol

Well as you will tell I'm new to the puppy world. I have had my fur baby now for 3 weeks. We feed him 2x's a day 9 and 5. He is doing really well. We are using the crate. He can go from 11pm to 7 am in his crate and never has had one accident. He also sleeps through the night with out any crying or whining.

Here's the poop question. This puppy is a poop machine. No I really mean it to the point that I'm thinking maybe something is wrong. He poops at 7 am when I take him out first thing in the morning. Then he goes around 9:30 after he eats. Again around 5:30 after he eats and again around 10 pm. How can anything this small poop so much....LOL

He is eating Eagle pack for puppies 1/4-1/2 cup of dry and 1/3 of a small can of Puppy plate. Both are suppose to be really good food. His treats are all natural with no wheat, soy, dye, corn, artificial coloring. They are called Zuke's treats.

Is this natural? Will this slow down or will he always poop this much? He doesn't have loose stools and seems to go a good amount.

OMG! I sound like a new mother talking about baby poop....LOL
Attached Images

Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

That sounds like a very normal poop schedule for a puppy. Sounds like you're doing everything right and as long as the poops look healthy then no worries. As your baby gets older the poops should decrease to twice a day.

What a cute pup!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree it sounds pretty normal. My lab x has always been a big poop machine, and at 8 years old still is. My Akita x poops once a day if I'm lucky. Both eat the same food, so I'm with Chase_Mom, as long as it all looks ok you shouldn't worry too much. A good brand food is so important too, but you seem to be doing okay there. Your little guy is sooo cute by the way. And you've come to the right place to talk poop!
Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:30 AM

Thank you so much for the reassurance that the poop machine is fine. Of course I couldn't get one that only poops 2 x's a day...LOL We are so far doing great. He does get aggressive with toilet paper, go figure. He doesn't care if you take his toys or food but don't touch the toilet paper when he gets a hold of it he will rip your face off. We are working on that one right now! Again Thank you!
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM

Your baby is so cute! I had the same experience when my minipin was still a pup. I was new to it then and I also thought of the same thing you did, that how could someone so small poop a lot! But then I found out that it was just normal. Just check for the "consistency" of his poop.
good luck with your little one!
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM

Sounds like a normal poop routine for a puppy....and he should settle down to a morning and a night poop as he gets older.

As for toilet paper.... I just keep the bathroom door closed or Buster wil "TP" the stairs...

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM

I really love this site.....where else can we talk about poop....LOL He is such a good puppy. Loves to ride in the car. We put him in the back seat with his blanket and he just lays right down and goes to sleep. No jumping around. I'm glad to hear that his poop in OK and that it will settle down when he gets older. He is also doing good so far with house training. We have gone almost a week with no accidents.
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 4 month old Jack Russell. Just in the last couple days he's going nonstop it seems. Normal consistency. It's 1pm and she;s eaten once, and gone 4 times. We're also having a problem with her eating her stools. Just switched her to Purina, could that be the problem? Last week we also rushed her into the hospital, I think she had a seizure. Any advice?
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

What a cutie! Yeah, this is one of the few places you can talk about poop and not feel like your a nut.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/