Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Owned by goldens

Petcetera

They are beginning to build a Petcetera on the south shore. Judging from their web site it looks like it will be the first in Quebec.

What kind of store is it? Do they carry quality brand foods?
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

We have one here in St. John's. I like it, they don't have puppies for sale.

They carry Go! Natural I know for sure.
Other than that they carry Eukanuba, Science Diet, etc.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:08 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Negative on good food. Iams, Purina..Royal Crap would be their best brand. They just opened a store here this past week or so. I went in Sat to the Grand opening. Wasnt overly impressed. size wise, it was too small for what they tried to cram in.

The one great thing i can say about them, they dont sell dogs & cats. Instead, they work with the local SPCA and adopt out dogs & cats. Our store just does cats.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah that was what I meant about the food too. The only one there that was okay was the Go! Natural. The rest was crap.
The one here is quite large, very roomy and they also have a doggy daycare which I have heard good things about.

The one here just adopts out cats with the SPCA as well.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:14 PM

hmm, never saw the Go Natural. Maybe just never looked hard enough. It was soooo packed being the grand opening. I brought Rosco and he just hammed up the attention he got

Ours has the Doggy daycare, however its little more then a small room with toys & a few beds. Honestly, 2 or 3 dogs max would fit it. They also have a pet photographer in house. Again, just a small room at the back.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old April 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Lol go Rosco

Yeah I am pretty sure Go!Natural is there, I don't go there very often, I try to give my business to some of the smaller stores, but they seem to be going out of business due to places like this opening:sad:
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

The Petcetera near me sells Go!Natural, and I think they sell Fromm's too, they have a huge selection of kitty litter. And they adopt out cats. I don't think the store is that bad, they have a good variety of non-food products. I don't go there very often cause I prefer to support the smaller stores, but I do like to go in when I can't find what i need a the smaller stores

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I haven't been to ours in awhile.i have the member card.they have some good deals on some stuff.but the food is junk.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
Performance Spaniels

I haven't seen good food at ours..
Best thing I got there was Cider's bone bed for like $25..
For the most part I find the selection of collars, toys etc not so hot. And the daycare frightens me... Tiny tiny room, usually with 3 dogs or so in ours, no person, and the dogs are awfully reactive, least here.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:14 AM
Helicopter Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
Negative on good food. Iams, Purina..Royal Crap would be their best brand. They just opened a store here this past week or so. I went in Sat to the Grand opening. Wasnt overly impressed. size wise, it was too small for what they tried to cram in.

The one great thing i can say about them, they dont sell dogs & cats. Instead, they work with the local SPCA and adopt out dogs & cats. Our store just does cats.
I was into the same on Saturday morning. I wasn't overly impressed. The majority of their products for dogs and cats are the same as every other store in the city, although their prices seemed a bit more expensive.

Their doggy day care was a wee bit small for my liking. However, I would classify it more as a doggy babysitting service as they have hourly, half day, and daily rates.

I do like that they do not sells dogs and cats, but wish that they would extend that policy to other small animals. They did have several cats in their SPCA adoption window. It does not appear as though they are going to have a dog adoption center, however, that may come in the future.
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

We have one in Belleville, they sell eagle pac, wellness, merricks cat food my kitties love that stuff and your usual cheaper brands. They also adopt out for QHS dogs and cats. I usally go in when they have dogs beds and stuff on sale but I buy my food from pet value or Ryans, they also have a doggy daycare and do pet portraits.

I have had good experiences with them, I once booked a foster in for a gromming the day his new family was coming to meet him and they had fired the groomer and no one called me so the store manager groomed Jerry himself free of charge and let me pick out 2 boxes of any kind of treats for free.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM

I have mixed feelings about petcetera. I have been there in the past. I think it depends on the region and the demand for types of food for which ones they will carrry. Most aren't good quality. My concern is more about staffing. I have never had a dog groomed there or taken a dog to the daycare (it looks small and unattended), so I don't know what type of training or certifications these people need. I found that some of the staff know their stuff and some are just people who need a job. One of my friends is the ex-manager for one of their stores and I am shocked by her lack of knowledge about dogs, despite being a dog owner for 10+ years. And although they don't sell cats and dogs (yes they do work very hard with the local spca) they do sell other live animals SUPER CHEAP! There was once a sale on teddy bear hamsters for $1.99.
As for what kind of store is it? Its just another big box store, with lots of variety (ie some of it low quality) merchandise aiming to be the one stop shop for your pets needs.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM

Couldnt agree more about the staff. Actually, i was just posting about this on an email group I;m on, about the staff and how they reacted around dogs. Some actually looked uneasy around dogs, and would throw their arms in the air when they walked past us so Rosco couldnt snif/touch them.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM

we have had that store in edmonton for a long time. i got yelled at by the groomer because she was letting a little poodle, who was in heat, walk around the store, and my leashed male dog wanted to meet the poodle. she was really witchy about it. the dog shouldn't be wandering around the store! that pretty much sums up the service there. i actually prefer to shop in the smaller stores that seem to care about what they sell and the customers.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
~Cat Servent~

$10-$15 more expensive on just about everything compared to other stores... The only good prices were on cat trees etc...and thats because they are very poor quality. As for selection, a lot of the lower end stuff and mid range foods. Disappointed here that they were no competition for PetSmart. I still have to drive to st catherines.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
They are beginning to build a Petcetera on the south shore.
Where on South shore exactly ?
Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

cat trees, dog crates, and beds were a good price. ok quality (not the best but not bad either) food, i stay away from commercial crap mostly.
staff a bunch of teenangers with min wage pay, no real know-how of pets.

i buy some of their sale items there and i bought the boys crates there.
to get their discount price however you need a membership card, free of charge but if you dont like giving companies your info then it wouldnt work for you.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Where on South shore exactly ?
Near Taschereau (sp?) in the same area as Best Buy, Future shop, Home depot and IGA. They say Fall of 2007 as the date for it opening.

They also don't sell reptiles/exotics.

Last edited by dragon_queen; April 3rd, 2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~michelle~ View Post
ok quality (not the best but not bad either) food, i stay away from commercial crap mostly.
It doesnt get much worse then Iams/purina/pedigree. Only thing worse I'd say is Alpo & ol'Roy.

Hopefully your store carries better brands.

Last edited by Scott_B; April 3rd, 2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypupodin
we have had that store in edmonton for a long time.
Which one did you go to? Just curious so I can avoid it!!

I went there once to buy Mocha's dog ramp, and a few other things. I've never bought treats or food there - always Pet Planet. As for the grooming...I've heard mixed reviews. Mocha goes to the Pampered Puppy for grooming (oooooh, spoiled!! )

I prefer the smaller pet stores - like Pet Planet or the Urban Dog. Seems like the staff care more in the smaller places. Last week I went to Pet Planet to buy dog food, and was there for 45 minutes, just yakking with the staff there. Much more friendly than Petcetera or PetSmart. Meh. Just my opinion....
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

oh scott my bad.... the quality comment was in regards to the dog beds, crates and cat trees.... the food uber icky.... sorry a grammar and punctuation error on my part
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross