Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 8th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

What to do with a litter of baby skunks

Hi members,

Sad story happened to someone I know. They had a skunk in their yard that kept spraying their dog. So they got someone to remove the skunk and let it go in a forest somewhere.

A few days later....they noticed a litter of baby skunks walking through their yard. These people are animal lovers and this is breaking their heart.

Should the baby skunks be trapped and brought to a humane society like the SPCA?

Will the skunks live if left their own devices? The person who had the adult skunk removed has started feeding the babies...but she did research and those skunk scent glands should start to activate at 1 month old... She's obviously not willing to adopt a litter of skunks as they make the resident dog go nuts.

She thinks there may be 9 babies. She has captured 3 and put them in a box for now where they can be together and get food and water. As she sees more she will try to put them in that same box.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is there a wildlife rehabber in the area? SPCA will likely not take wild animals--at least they don't here.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I found this very up setting and I feel your friend was not very bright in having the skunk removed from her house without trying to find out if the skunk had any babies. If they had not already called a wildlife expert they should do that and if they can't find they should try calling some vets up and see if one of them came help. The poor mother , she was trying protect her babies from the dog and now been removed from them . The babies skunk most likely been touch with bare hands and now smell like people so they may not do well on their own if they're release into the woods . Your friend needs to call someone that know how to care for wild animals, is there an ACO around to call? What a very sad story .
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Both my wife and I find it just as upsetting as you BD.
Just as an FYI, my friend deliberately asked if the mom skunk was pregnant as she herself thought that it might be a possibility. She was assured by someone who should have known, that no she was not pregnant. Never in a million years would she have had the skunk removed if she knew the skunk was pregnant - This person loves animals and has helped many a lost/stray pet in her lifetime.

Tough situation though, skunk decided to live under this person's shed which is on her property (outside the fenced area where her dog roams). I'm not sure but I think her dog is getting hit through the fence because the dog stays in the fenced backyard. The shed is likely 15-20 feet from the fence.
Her dog has been sprayed 3x by the skunk now... The dog always gets it in the eyes, foaming at the mouth.... etc.

We are trying to find out if the SPCA will take skunks.

Just curious, would a new mother skunk instinctively take care of these new babies as well as her own babies? It seems another mother skunk can be located. Or is this a bad idea and just take them to the SPCA if they will accept them.

Really appreciate the advice in this sad situation. thx again.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:57 PM

Hi Marko:
Sorry to hear about your friend's predicament with the skunk. To try to find another female skunk to take in the kits is pretty well an impossibility, due to the fact that the babies would be carrying the human scent, and wouldn't be accepted by the female.
I have known people who have made pets of skunks. The one lad in New Brunswick had his skunk de-scented and he kept it in an apartment just like an indoor cat. This was many years ago and I have no idea what became of the owner nor the skunk.
We had another occasion here in town where the chap picked up the skunk in his backyard. Same case - before the scent glands became active - he had the skunk in the house for 2 years, along with his dog and cat. Never had any problems with spray. The only time it could be a bit antsy, was if a stranger came to the door.
According to the owner when the female skunks came into season in the 2nd year, his pet skunk left home and was seen the odd time, but reverted back to the wild.
In this situation I think I'd be getting in touch with Dr. Rod Jouppi's gang at Lively, Ontario, which is a wildlife place who look after wildlife rescue.
Some 1500 + cases last year from all over northeastern Ontario and down into the Ottawa valley.
At least contact them for directions on what to do and how. They may also be able to suggest a similar place that is closer to the Montreal area. Dr. Jouppi is known all over the continent for his work with wildlife, either tamed or wild, and household pets. He also has an extremely busy veterinarian clinic there in Lively. He is a Homeopathic and Allopathic doctor.
I am enclosing the web site both for the Wildlife at Heart and Dr. Rod's clinic.

http://www.wahrefugecentre.org/?q=co...-refuge-centre

http://waldenanimalhospital.com/

Hope this information might be of use to you.
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM

What about the Ecomuseum? Or maybe contact Urban Animal Advocates (not sure they are still around - 514-366-9965)

http://www.zooecomuseum.ca/
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:56 PM

I found the following site that can help your friend in caring for the babies. A wildlife rehabber is who they need to call however I cannot seem to find any in your area. Like other members have said, try the SPCA or your own vet for advice and referral. Hopefully this ends well for those babies

http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/skunkcare.htm
Old June 9th, 2014, 12:20 AM

The site below has detailed information on what to feed baby skunks while they are in your friends care.
Scroll down to "Baby Skunk Feeding".

http://www.skunksaspets.com/skunkstuff.htm
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:14 AM

Thanks so much for the ideas everyone - muchly appreciated!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter