Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old September 4th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Question Forest is not eating as usual

For the past few weeks, Forest has had a decline in appetite. He meows near mealtimes and we put food down. He sniffs but walks away. Still feeding NV's raw chicken patties. Then he meows some more until my bf gives him attention instead of the computer. Both of them get 1/6 each of a 6 lb patty. Gizzy eats all of his and Forest will eat a couple mouthfuls and never come back until the next mealtime. Other days Gizzy eats most of his portion and Forest eats the rest but there is a whole plate left untouched.

The only way I can seem to make him eat is by making him see me put treats on top. Cuz once he hears that treat bag he'll even wake up from a dead sleep just to get some. I could do that but I doubt it's a good idea to let him become dependent on that just so he eats and I would have to babysit him to make sure he eats everything so the hairballs don't come back but that's kinda unproductive. He looks to be the same weight, with a hanging belly as he walks, should still be 10 lbs.

I'm thinking he needs a checkup but I don't have the money right now :sad: and my bf won't take him and thinks he's fine and I'm worrying for nothing. But I don't like wasting perfectly good raw food.

What I prolly need is an intervention for my bf. Animals take after their owners and guess who doesn't like going to the doc either?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Maybe some false intense warning that he NEEDS vet attention will snap him out of this!
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

It's possible that Forest is just bored with the food. Some cats (like mine) lose interest in eating if it's the same meal day after day and need a bit of variety to spice things up. Try offering one or two of the other NV flavours, or perhaps even some different canned foods.

You could also pick up some 100% freeze-dried meat treats like Halo Liv-a-Littles or Real Food Toppers to sprinkle on top of Forest's meals. It's much healthier than most other treats and you don't need to use very much, but it might be enough to renew Forest's interest. If these tricks don't work, then for sure he should be going to the vet for a check-up. Loss of appetite in cats is sometimes the only sign that there is an illness brewing.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the great reply SCM you have the best ideas!

According to the website for Halo I can find them at Petsmart but I've only seen the junk treats in the cat aisle, are they more of a dog treat? And would it matter which formula to get like is it a powder or just chunks of freeze-dried stuff? And Real Food Toppers I can get at a lot of different places
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Yeah i find my cats get bored with some food, i always try to feed them, beef, chicken, turkey and fish for variety. I know i wouldnt want to eat the same meat everyday if i didnt have to .
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:40 PM

Ya I guess that makes sense lol

We have tried the NV's Lamb formula but it didn't agree with Forest so we had to throw it out even though Gizzy could keep it down no problem. Is there another formula that most cats agree with like chicken? Beef? Rabbit? Venison?
Old September 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Aztec really likes the venison, but just like with people, it's different for each cat. The rabbit is probably the most easily digested and closest to what a cat would eat "naturally".

As for the Halo Liv-a-Littles, as long as you get the 100% freeze-dried meat, it doesn't matter whether it's for a dog or cat. They come in chunks and you can either break off smaller pieces for treats, or crush them into a powder and sprinkle on top of wet food. I've only ever seen the Halo canned food (Spot's Stew) at PetSmart, I haven't seen the Liv-a-Littles there yet. You might have to try a smaller, froofier pet food store (or have someone order some in for you). Some other similar products are Benny Bullys and Whole Life.

Good luck in your quest!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM

He is 15 so when was he last in for a vet check & full blood & urine testing? Did everything check out normally then? Litterbox habits normal? Energy level normal?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM

Growler: He Hasn't been in for one since my bf thinks he is fine and we've hit a financial snag. But as soon as I get a job I will be taking him in to get him checked out. We have seen him take longer to jump so he must have some arthritis somewhere as well...

Thanks SCM
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:19 AM

What I meant was did he go in for a full check within the last year or has it been longer?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:40 AM

I have no idea when he has been in for a full check-up :sad: