Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) - Transportation

Old November 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Anyone have any others suggestions or ideas?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:43 PM
~Cat Servent~

I think asking to see if we could get her on the transport already coming this way makes more sense... if she's in a carrier and it can be covered with a towel or blanket that would significantly cut down on the stress I would think. When 14+ brought blue back to his owner after she tried to shave him he peed, but on the trip from her place to niagara falls when I covered the carrier with a towel he had no problems at all....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I think asking to see if we could get her on the transport already coming this way makes more sense... if she's in a carrier and it can be covered with a towel or blanket that would significantly cut down on the stress I would think. When 14+ brought blue back to his owner after she tried to shave him he peed, but on the trip from her place to niagara falls when I covered the carrier with a towel he had no problems at all....
In my defense that was a retaliatory pee. He was ticked at me for shaving him. And now he is an absolute angel with his new owner.

I guess ultimately it should be between kr and cpietra. I guess I jumped the gun starting this thread.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I agree I know it would be great to get her here sooner but it just isnt looking like it will be a smooth run...

I am sure that Benmax can ask them to keep Heidi maybe in the front seat with the rescuers so that there may be less noise for her.

Lets hope Benmax checks in and this an be arranged...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, it is between kr and cpietra. Cpietra, you know I will be there for you anytime you need me.

When we transported Naddy, she went to the bathroom almost immediately after starting on the trip, with a cat there is really no safe way to take them out, clean them up and put them back in a carrier. Snowball used to be the same way. It too over 7 hours to get from my place to 14+'s place which I believe is close to kr's place, add three hours onto that and it is a long time to be in a carrier full of urine and/or diarrhea (even the 7 hours is).

I can take the kitty to Aslan's if need be (if she permits it). Can KR not meet you in Hamilton? or between Hamilton and Niagara? How long between Aslan's and your place Winston?

If it was the only way, then that's the way it got to be, otherwise, I think we should make it as easy on Heidi as we can.

Just my

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

L4H I am guessing but I think it would take about an hour from my place to Aslan's...

Its a long drive from my place to Pickering and then back to Niagara Falls.

No one else at this end offered to go so I am assuming they cant meet me??

The other thing is as mentioned she shouldnt be transferred between carriers once the transport starts and thats gonna make it a long ride for her no matter who takes her??? whether its us or someone else??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Of course if it is decided that cpietra, L4, Chris, Winston, and whoever else can do the drive and it can be done on a day I am off it goes without saying I will be glad to do a leg. Winston, we could meet at that shopping mall we met at last year for that matter. It isn't too far away from your place right? Then I could bring Heidi either here or to krs. It will be figured out I'm sure. I will find out when I go to work in half an hour when I work next week.
Only thing I am not sure of is how to get a crate change done with a kitty that is very skittish without some injury occuring to the transferrees.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
L4H I am guessing but I think it would take about an hour from my place to Aslan's...

Its a long drive from my place to Pickering and then back to Niagara Falls.

No one else at this end offered to go so I am assuming they cant meet me??

The other thing is as mentioned she shouldnt be transferred between carriers once the transport starts and thats gonna make it a long ride for her no matter who takes her??? whether its us or someone else??
I think Chris volunteered to meet me in Pickering, but I don't know where she was going?? To Aslan's???

Yes, the difference is the three hours from Montreal to my place, plus with such short drives, there isn't the necessity for eating/gas stops. That would add to the trip. Niagara to Montreal is a long haul as you can imagine.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
~Cat Servent~

depending on what day it ends up being, I am happy to drive to hamilton to get her....but i do work and would have to wait till I am off, or working a short day (which is usually not on a weekend) (just saw more posts...) Ya if she gets to the hamilton area, between me and 14 she'll get here...or there....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I guess ultimately it should be between kr and cpietra. I guess I jumped the gun starting this thread.

okay well then if you need me let me know and I will see what I can do?? I dont want to step on anyone's toes so to speak...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescue is out. They just filled their run as of this afternoon.
Old November 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Hubs and I can certainly drive from Oakville to Grimsby,the problem is I cannot drive with my cast and hubs is not keen on going any further than Oakville-Grimsby..
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

you ladies are more than welcome to use my place as a drop off pick up place.Unfortunately with the shift G is on and her having to do physio i can't commit to driving since i don't know when she'll need the car. We can always put Heidi in the spareroom to await pick up.
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sweet Pea is going for surgery on Monday . I won't be able to start out until after 8 PM and I have to be back before 4:30. I was hoping to get on the road before 7

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

wow...I missed a few legs of the trip. Will I be going to L4H this sunday? Heidi is skittish, but when I took her out of her crate she just became dead weight...however, since she has already been saved from death once, I don't want to try my luck again. I will donate a crate so that she is not moved during transporation.
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OK, I will pm you my phone number, cell number and address. It is the Exit that goes to the Interstate 81 you take off the 401, then left (West) on the 1000 island parkway

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok I got it...thanks. I hope not to get lost again....
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
OK, I will pm you my phone number, cell number and address. It is the Exit that goes to the Interstate 81 you take off the 401, then left (West) on the 1000 island parkway
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, RIGHT on the 1000 island parkway, not left Sorry.

The exit is also called hwy 137.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

lol....right....got it....; don't worry I've got your number incase I get lost going left...lol
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Guys you still need to worry about getting Heidi from Chris to KR? I dont think I can do Monday...thats why I hoped the other rescue would have worked?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ok I am now thoroughly confused! So are we getting her all the way to Chico....then Chico & hubby to Gerri's? Cause I'm sure she can make a pit stop there (not to mention I'd love to dash out to Gerri's and see you and hubby again Anita!) I'd actually like it if Gerri could assess her a little bit before I brought her here (she is after all the kitty whisperer ).... I'm unclear as to whether we are missing any areas or not....

So far my understanding is cpeitra-----> L4H -----> ? -----> Chico-----> 14+ -----> me....right?

I'm on call monday so will know if I work by mid morning.

Old November 5th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kr I have just confirmed that I cant do this on Monday. I left it too late and am unable to arrange it now??

So you are right I think there will be a missing link. You will still need someone to get Heidi from either Chris or L4H ?? and then I think if I am reading this right Chico will do Oakville to Grimsby.

Man I hope we can figure out someone at the other end??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So we still need the me to chico then? You all know that if I ever meet chico, I am kidnapping her and not letting her go. Of course somebody can deliver Vinnie and Chico.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

awwww L4H,you might not think so,if you meet me
That's an awfully long drive for you
I was hoping some one in Toronto would offer to drive

Oh by the way,you can kidnap me,then when I leave I'll stick Jasper in my bag
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

If this weekend won;t work for anyone, I don;t mind keeping her for another week... I am working with her at night. Now I have her sleeping with me in my bed and she purred for the first time last night while she was next to me.
Of course the minute I move she's under the bed....oh well...with time.
She really can be adoptable. she is very sweet, and I wish I had a camera...
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think Chris was going to meet me, but I don't know where she is going to .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 5th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I think Chris was going to meet me, but I don't know where she is going to .
me either...so are we going to cancel this weekend and try again later?
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM
-

Since this is still not really organized imo next week would be better, that way peeps have more time to make arrangements......

Me personally, I sorta depend on my g/f to do the driving across the city...I don't do the 401 at all.... I know she isn't going to be able to do Monday or Tuesday, something came up and she is driving a friend to her chemo treatment.

If Winston can arrange something now that she has more time to do so, maybe she could meet me west of the city and carry on to the next stopover.....

....or even better since Heidi doesn't travel well at all, maybe Cpietra will be able to find alternative accomdations for her in the Montreal area or through the rescue she works with.......just throwing that out there.
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I can't do it next weekend and I am not taking another vacation day as it is the busiest time of year for us. Surely there is somebody in TO that can meet me in TO to take her to the other side of TO.

This is not fair to cpietra. She took in Heidi thinking there was a home for her to go to. Poor cpietra is a single mother trying to juggle work, kids, her animals and I think school.

I did volunteer to take her to aslan's but Sweet Pea will be in surgery and I have to pick her up by 4PM. It is almost 3 hours for me to get to Pickering, so that is 6 hours return for me. I have to drop Sweet Pea off at 8. So if anybody can spare a couple of hours on Monday morning to meet me we can get this to work.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 6th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

L4H...I understand how last minute this was, and I will never throw her out now that I have Heidi in my home. I can probably have her for a few more weeks. Its just that I have no time to soicalize her and I don;t want to have her to become too anti-human.
I want this to be able to work for everyone. If there is a leg of this trip that is not manageble...I will wait until everyone can come on board...