Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:40 PM

Question Cat purposely scratching toddler

I have a question that I am hoping someone can advise me on. This is my first pair of cats. We adopted a brother/sister pair from a shelter when they were four months old. They've been super easy to train, and our family loves them. The only bad behavior we've seen is what we believe to be typical cat behavior (scratching the furniture, ruining my miniblinds, etc.), but lately I am having a HUGE problem with the male cat (now 11 mos. old) scratching a toddler that I keep every chance he gets. The toddler was here before the cat, just fyi. Whenever we first got the kitten, the toddler "petted/patted" Breaker kitty a little rough, but I've never seen him pull his tail or anything that would hurt the cat. But the cat will sit up on a shelf taller than the child, and if the child walks by he has the evil meow. If the toddler walks by or in the vicinity of the cat, and the catch swats at him. On two occasions in the past month or so, he has scratched the toddler's face near his eye. Today, the cat was sitting near the child's toy box in my living room, and child did NOTHING to provoke the cat, and the cat lunged at him and tried to scratch him in the face again with both paws and meowing. (no hissing). I have tried keeping the cat in another room separate from the kids, but he claws at the door and carpet (ruined my carpet already) and meows until we let him out. I see my options as re-homing the cat or declawing (which I don't want to do to him). Any suggestions? I haven't had a cat before, and am wondering if there is anything else I can try to redirect and stop this behavior. The cat doesn't do this with anyone else in the house. And I typically have five kids in the house every day. The cats have plenty of places to hide. The sister cat stays in my bedroom until most of the kids go home. She is more anti-social, but I don't have any issues whatsoever with her. Oh, and both cats have been spayed/neutered. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!