Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Unhappy My Chihuahua (teacup) swallowed an yellow foam earplug

22 hours ago my 1 1/2 pound, teacup Chihuahua puppy (10 weeks) swallowed a yellow foam earplug! Breeder informed me to watch him until it pass, he has been eating, drinking and playing like normal. I'm worried......
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Unhappy Plz Help

Can somebody help
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

It's a wait and see game as you are doing.

BUT

But the key here is will it pass.? You need to watch to see if it will and obstruction is a dangerous possibility here. (i'd guess that it will pass but this is just a guess and I am not a vet).

Personally, if this were my cat I'd wait 24-36 hours max. If the cat did not poop in that time, even if it 'looks' okay - the cat would be at the vet.
Good luck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 29th, 2012, 11:38 AM

Unhappy Thanks for your response

Thanks, I plan to go to the vet it I dont see it today, that will be about 36 hours. He is still pooping but not the earplug.
Old July 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm with marko - such a small dog would worry me too. If you see any vomiting, I would get to the vet right away, as that's often a sign of blockage.

Hope it "comes through" soon!
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Thanks, for your concern and response, I am keeping a close eye on him. He is peeping by has not pooped in the last 5 hours. I he is ok
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgarcia41 View Post
22 hours ago my 1 1/2 pound, teacup Chihuahua puppy (10 weeks) swallowed a yellow foam earplug! Breeder informed me to watch him until it pass, he has been eating, drinking and playing like normal. I'm worried......
foam get heaver when it is is wet and could cause a blockage , I would had called the vet right away . You may have been told to made your dog vomit it up by giving him a little hydrogen peroxide . You have to give your dog hydrogen peroxide right away. I gave it to my dog when he ate a piece of a dish towel and he vomit is right up.
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:40 PM

It's to late for him to vomit up the earplug, I am monitoring for gastrointestinal signs, notable vomiting. I am trying to treat him normally, and pray it will pass. He a pooped several times today but know earplug

However it he start vomiting, which will increase my suspicion of an intestinal blockage, I am going to take him to the vet; I just pray the little guy will be alright.
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:04 AM

my dog has eaten foam earplugs before, they always come back out, he is 15lb dachshund
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
my dog has eaten foam earplugs before, they always come back out, he is 15lb dachshund
How many days did that take cell?

I wonder if it's possible that stomach acids have broken down the earplug?
(just thinking aloud here)
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It can take a couple of days for a dog to pass an ear plug. Brier eats mine whenever he can get at them (in other words, when I'm a goof and leave them next to the keyboard ). They pass in 2 to 3 days. The ear plugs don't seem to expand much in the digestive tract of a dog (at least not in Brier's ), so that's a good thing. Brier is much bigger than a chi, though, so blockage is never an issue.

Hope your dog passes it soon, Jgarcia41.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:00 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
foam get heaver when it is is wet and could cause a blockage , I would had called the vet right away . You may have been told to made your dog vomit it up by giving him a little hydrogen peroxide . You have to give your dog hydrogen peroxide right away. I gave it to my dog when he ate a piece of a dish towel and he vomit is right up.

How much hydrogen peroxide? How often? How long do you wait to see if it works before taking the dog to the vet? IMO this is a very dangerous thing to tell someone on a pet website. This is a very very tiny dog the OP is talking about here. "We" are not vets. How can "we" give medical instructions here?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
How much hydrogen peroxide? How often? How long do you wait to see if it works before taking the dog to the vet? IMO this is a very dangerous thing to tell someone on a pet website. This is a very very tiny dog the OP is talking about here. "We" are not vets. How can "we" give medical instructions here?
And sometimes getting someone to induce vomiting immediately can be lifesaving....
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:44 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
And sometimes getting someone to induce vomiting immediately can be lifesaving....
Point taken MaxaLisa.

I personally would call my vet and ask. Just sayin'.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

And I agree, calling the vet and having a good working relationship with them is important!
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:13 PM

Unhappy

I took Toro, my teacup Chihuahua puppy, to the vet today and she basically said to wait and see if it comes out in his stool. The vet also said that foam does not show up on x-rays unless there is a gastro blockage and explained that it would be a costly expense to take x-rays; she also advised me to come back if he starts vomiting, stop eating or pooping which are all signs of a gastro blockage. After further inquiries, the vet informed me that if the foam earplug does not pass by Thursday, even without any of the symptoms mention above she would be willing to attempt to take x-rays on Friday. So I am just hoping and praying that the earplug passes soon, I have always had Chihuahuas and I love the breed but I don’t think I will ever get another teacup. I will spare no expense in taking care of the little guy, my biggest worry is that I put my wants before considering his suffering, if it comes down to him needing a invasive procedure. I am putting; all this information in this post in the hopes that it would help someone else, while I strive to get through my own dilemma. Thanks for your concern, please pray for Toro and myself.
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It's to late for him to vomit up the earplug, I am monitoring for gastrointestinal signs, notable vomiting. I am trying to treat him normally, and pray it will pass. He a pooped several times today but know earplug

However it he start vomiting, which will increase my suspicion of an intestinal blockage, I am going to take him to the vet; I just pray the little guy will be alright.
Yeah I know you have to make the dog vomit right away ,I said that in my post. I was told by my vet if my dog vomit after eating an object he need to be seen right away. Did the vet say to not feed your dog in case he need surgery? Do you think he ate anything else when you where not looking?
I hope he will be OK. I have to be real care with where I leave my hearing aid as dogs loves to eat them.
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:40 AM

I was sitting in the back yard with my puppy and he was jumping in the freshly cut grass and found the earplug, grabbed it and ran into the house my daughter and I caught him and I try to get it out of his mouth, but his mouth was to small and I did not want to hurt him. I attempted to make him vomit with 3% hydrogen peroxide but it did not work, and I was worried that it would hurt him if I kept giving him the peroxide. At that point, I called the breeder who advised me that it would pass and to give him some canned pumpkin to help him poop, he stop pooping Sunday for about 10 hours and then began pooping like normal. Although, I love my little teacup Chihuahua I am worried about how his small size is going to affect him in the future. I never really thought about it until I got him home and realized that I would need a finding bell on him at all time, due to his size; he was less than a pound when I got him a 7 ½ weeks. Yes, the vet advised that I continue to feed Toro while I watch for the earplug to pass.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was sitting in the back yard with my puppy and he was jumping in the freshly cut grass and found the earplug, grabbed it and ran into the house my daughter and I caught him and I try to get it out of his mouth, but his mouth was to small and I did not want to hurt him. I attempted to make him vomit with 3% hydrogen peroxide but it did not work, and I was worried that it would hurt him if I kept giving him the peroxide. At that point, I called the breeder who advised me that it would pass and to give him some canned pumpkin to help him poop, he stop pooping Sunday for about 10 hours and then began pooping like normal. Although, I love my little teacup Chihuahua I am worried about how his small size is going to affect him in the future. I never really thought about it until I got him home and realized that I would need a finding bell on him at all time, due to his size; he was less than a pound when I got him a 7 ½ weeks. Yes, the vet advised that I continue to feed Toro while I watch for the earplug to pass.
I don't think that "teacup" anything is sound breeding, but they are very popular.

You need to keep feeding so that the digestive tract will keep working at moving stool through the intestines. I wouldn't over-feed though.

The vet saying xrays by Thursday, is, I bet, looking for signs of backed up stools, rather than the plug itself. Hopefully that won't be necessary!
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM

I keep coming back to this thread to see if the dog keeps pooping or the foam passes... "Like sands through the hourglass......"

Continued good vibes for a positive result
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:21 PM

My puppy is eating, drinking, and pooping, but still no earplug; I pray that he is going to be o.k.
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad he is doing okay, but sure wish that thing would show up!