Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 15th, 2005, 07:12 AM
james22

Help! neighbours cat is causing problems.

Sir,
Can you help me? my neighbours cat is causing me and my neighbours a lot of problems. I have bought a device a cat and dog repeller,it cost me twenty pounds, im a pensioner im 70 years old.my neighbour knows her cat is out killing the birds in my garden,ive repeatedly asked her to do something about it but to no avail. it is now on my roof,trying to come in my upstairs window,it has done this on at least six times. please advise what i can do, or what action i can take.

thanking you.
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

James22,there is unfortunately not much you can do,other than talking to the neighbor,unless you have a by-law against letting cats roam free(I wish there was).The cat is doing what cats do,not his fault,any unsupervised cat will hunt whatever moves...
You can always trap the cat and bring him to HS,but then again,it's the cat being punished not the owner.
I do not know of any expensive repellent that would work,just a waste of money,in my view...but maybe someone else knows.
When I take my cats out,they will try to catch birds(I have 3 feeders)but I will not allow it.
Only once did my Rocky catch a bird,but it was a ready to eat,frozen unfortunate Mourning Dove he found under my deck.
I hope you find a solution
Here's a pic of my Rocky,proudly showing off his frozen catch
If you have tall bushes or trees beside your house,cutting them down or trimming,will prevent any animals from climbing up on your roof,we did that because ofthe racket coons were making on our roof.
Attached Images

Old April 15th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Keep a spray bottle of water by the window. When he appears, open the window and let him have it! He should get the message before too long. As for catching birds, I heard recently that song birds in Britain are literally disappearing due to domestic cats (and other things, presumably, but mainly cats). Imagine Britain without birds singing in the hedgerows - unthinkable! Another example of how out of wack the planet is, with the tipping point not far off...Have you asked your neighbour to put a bell on the cat - this sometimes works.
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger,of course a good noisy bell would work,like this one on Vinnie!!Good suggestion!
Attached Images

Old April 15th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I ahve heard bells just teach cats to be more quiet about going after their prey

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Even if it scares off one bird out of two, it's worth it. James just posted the same question on another thread. Hope he sees this.
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Yeah i've heard that too Badger. I think also they have blamed the fall in song bird numbers on Garden Decking. Most people are opting to deck their gardens and have no lawn, so the birds are losing out on the worms! :-(
Anyway, chico2 I saw the lovely pic of Vinnie and thought how much he looked like my little white cat Meagy Moo. What do you reckon?
Attached Images

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww,what a beauty and yes they look alike,except for my Vinnies odd eyes.
I just have to add about song-birds,or any birds,I know for a fact,pesticide kills thousands of birds every year.
One summer I had a strange occurence,sparrows were dying every day,their eyes were completely dried out,they were blind and eventually died.I found at least 2 dozen in my backyard.The beautiful House-Finches were also afflicted with an eye-disease,but they seem to be coming back.Chickadees,crows,different Finches were heavily affected by West Nile,in my area....so I believe cats are not the only culprit.WE are!!
I stopped using pesticide on anything a long time ago,but behind me they are still spraying this obnoxious substance on their lawn.I have talked to them,because Bailey(the Cocker)whom I dog-walk runs around in that grass every day :sad:
I also belive pesticides have affected the butterfly population,I used to have tons in my butterfly bushes,but very few last year :sad: