Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I was thinking panleukopenia, but they were vaccinated a month ago. I just don't have any other idea of what this could be. It is not like they go outside.
They could still have contracted panleukopenia if the virus was present but not showing before/around the time they were vaccinated. However it is highly contagious & would be likely that Matilida would have it as well.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=222
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/distemper.html
http://maxshouse.com/feline_panleukopenia.htm

What did the HS Manager tell you? Were they given any indication to the cause?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:08 AM
-

for Malcolm

for you
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

No news yet :sad:. Malcolm stayed in the hosp as he didn't poop for them. Blood work was more than the Wellness panel so they had to send it out to a lab, the results should be in today.

DH found a kitten poop on his lazyboy, that is where I found Malcolm 2 nights ago when I checked on him. He must have been too sick to go to the litterbox :sad: Not diarrhea so I don't think it is panleuk. I wonder if it is the caliccivirus that Sweet Pea's kittens, the strain that settles in the joints or muscles making them lame?? Dumbo was so sick, like Malcolm is now, for 3 days.

Matilda is still running around, doesn't seem to miss her brother . Uncle Jasper is her new playmate, he loves having her to play with.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Does anybody know if it is possible that Malcolm could have FIV and Matilda not? He just seems to have a weaker immune system. He was the one that got so sick with an upper resp, she didn't. Now he is sick and she isn't.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

No advice hon. Just wanted to send lots of and ers for the little guy today. Hopefully the blood work will show what he has and he can be treated.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

He made it through the night and is doing well, but NO POOP yet and he is not allowed to go home until he poops, the vet wants to see it.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That's good he's doing well. Is he still on the meds? I hope he continues to improve. Sending more yours and Malcolm's way!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
-

Could it be that he's only constipated ? The first time one of my cats (from years ago) got constipated , he got real sick and stayed 3 days at the vet.
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

He is not vomiting so I don't think his intestines are blocked. It was the white foamy liquid that he expelled that the vet is concerned about.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How is he doing tonight, L4H?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so mad I could spit.

I stopped into the vets office on my way home to check on Malcolm. A vet tech stated he hadn't pooped so I asked if I could visit him and was told it was no problem. As I walked to the back room, the receptionist glared at me for what reason, I do not know. I did and since the vet was back there I was talking to her. They have no idea what it is, but his blood work is fine.

At five I get a call from the shelter manager and was told that I am NOT to visit the vet office, NOT to call the vet office and that I was PRIVILEDGED to be able to take my fosters to the vets as other fosters are not allowed to??? WTF? A priviledge, what kind of priviledge is that? She told me that SHE would decide when Malcolm comes home, who said I questioned that, there was absolutely no qestion there.

At this point I don't think I can foster for them any longer. I will not be treated like child and I do not have the personality to disconnect from my fosters emotionally. When they are sick I am worried sick about them, I don't sleep, I don't eat and I have colitis that flares when I am under stress. To sit in my office with no word until 1PM, not knowing if he made it through the night or not and not to be able to make a call to the vet office because the receptionist has a problem with me doesn't settle well with me. The manager does not have a cell phone so she is not always available to talk to me. BTW, my contract states that in life or death emergencies, I am to contact the vet office directly. AND their website states they are in desperate need for volunteers to drive cats to vet appts.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM
150% PRO S/N

Geezz, I don't blame you! I would be ticked too! Did they forget that it was you who brought Malcolm in in the first place? Wow! I hope there is another shelter you can foster for. They should be glad they have someone who is concerned about her fosters enough that they are willing to do anything they can for them!

Old August 29th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I'd cut these people loose immediately and I'd tell them why. Who do they think they are, jerking you around and scolding you for caring? Keep Malcom in your heart and let the rest go.
This is the dark side of rescue, no shortage of power trippers.

Last edited by badger; August 29th, 2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Doggie Wench

I'd let the vet know about the ***** disturber in his office as well. And tell him/her that if it keeps up, you'll be taking your business elsewhere.

It's a shame the shelter manager doesn't value compassionate, caring fosters. Does she have someone she answers to? I'd have a talk with them as well concerning their policies and see if the manager is not interpreting them to suit her needs.

There are lots of Rescues out there that work together with their fosters, L4H, in the best interest of the animals. You should have no problem finding one that values and respects the care you can provide.
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Kitty pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I am so mad I could spit.

I stopped into the vets office on my way home to check on Malcolm. A vet tech stated he hadn't pooped so I asked if I could visit him and was told it was no problem. As I walked to the back room, the receptionist glared at me for what reason, I do not know. I did and since the vet was back there I was talking to her. They have no idea what it is, but his blood work is fine.

At five I get a call from the shelter manager and was told that I am NOT to visit the vet office, NOT to call the vet office and that I was PRIVILEDGED to be able to take my fosters to the vets as other fosters are not allowed to??? WTF? A priviledge, what kind of priviledge is that? She told me that SHE would decide when Malcolm comes home, who said I questioned that, there was absolutely no qestion there.

At this point I don't think I can foster for them any longer. I will not be treated like child and I do not have the personality to disconnect from my fosters emotionally. When they are sick I am worried sick about them, I don't sleep, I don't eat and I have colitis that flares when I am under stress. To sit in my office with no word until 1PM, not knowing if he made it through the night or not and not to be able to make a call to the vet office because the receptionist has a problem with me doesn't settle well with me. The manager does not have a cell phone so she is not always available to talk to me. BTW, my contract states that in life or death emergencies, I am to contact the vet office directly. AND their website states they are in desperate need for volunteers to drive cats to vet appts.
MAYBE EVERYONE WAS HAVING A BAD DAY?
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't pay for the foster's vet bills, but I can guarantee you, that my three cats will not be going there for service.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for your kind words everybody, I am writing a letter to the president of the board.

I have given all my fosters the best of what I could afford and opened my home to provide them with a loving home environment until they were ready for adoption. I didn't deserve that call last night.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM
-

I can't believe that you were treated like that L4H after all the work you do, it is beyond my comprehension that the Manager would dare talk that way with a foster parent when they are in such dire need of caring people. If the Vet had no problem speaking with you, what the h*ll has it got to do with a receptionist
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Receptionists in vet clinics have a lot of power, some of them run with it. L4H, I'd write that letter cold, not focusing on your own hurt (they don't care) but on their methods of operating and, in particular, the b*tch who walked all over you. I hope she loses her job.
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
~Cat Servent~

I can't believe they treat someone volunteering their time and energy like that. Not only should you write the shelter about the manager but I would also write the vet about their conduct as well, as that is obviously where the complaints came from, no doubt a receptionist with the illusion of power!

More & for little Malcolm!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I got him!!!! The manager was going to leave him in the hosp for one more day. WTF, they don't have any money to waste. He is fine, except for a lot of muscle mass loss and his sister hissing at him. I have put baby powder on both of them and Sweet Pea as she is attacking him too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How is he doing tonight, L4H? Awesome that he's home! Familiar surroundings will help him regain the weight and muscle-mass!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Glad to hear Malcolm is home.

Makes you wonder what is going on between that vet clinic & the shelter if the receptionist is snitching. And why would it matter if you visit the kitten it's not like you are taking the vet away from seeing other clients.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 30th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

How is Malcom this morning? I hope he had a better night!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 30th, 2008, 05:41 AM
150% PRO S/N

I am so glad that Malcolm is home! How relieved you must be. Let's hope he starts to build the muscles back now and is better than ever!!
Sending lots of for continued improvement.

Old August 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

How is malcolm?

Did they figure out what was wrong with him? He finally pooped?
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sorry, I haven't had time all weekend to come online. Sat my daughter visited, Sunday went to Montreal to pick up a kitty condo, THANKS AGAIN, SOS MIOW and yesterday went into Kingston for ice cream and to view the boats.

Malcolm won't eat his raw or Kitten Wellness, he must associate it with his illness, but will eat raw hamburger. He has been eating Jasper's Instinct and Sweet Pea's Ogranics so that isn't too bad, but he really needs some raw. He has lost so much muscle mass, poor guy it will take some time to catch up to his sister.

He has turned into the BIGGEST SUCK! He wants constant attention, I think the vet techs must have carried him around the hospital all day

Here is a blurry picture of Sweet Pea, Jasper and Malcom.
Attached Images

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
150% PRO S/N

But the important thing is he is healthy again!!! Thank God! I have checked a few times this weekend to see if you had posted anything but figured when I didn't see any updates that you were busy. I am so glad Malcolm is coming around. And I don't mind the sucky thing. Lovely picture. It's nice to see them cuddled.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
-

Happy to hear that he seems to be doing ok L4H. He is still young so has lots of time to regain his muscle back. Did you ever take it any further with the Vets about their receptionist or just decide to let it slide?
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

No I haven't. I was told it was the VET that didn't want to speak to any foster moms. How insane is that for getting health and med info? DH picked up Malcolm with his meds and they gave him 10 MORE days of clavamox, so DH asked manager, is this in addition to what he has at home or just 10 days from last Monday when he first started taking it. The manager didn't have a clue

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)