Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww poor TT. I hope he does better on canned.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, the pampered life of the Very Cute!

Glad to hear he seems to be feeling okay otherwise, at least. And that the probiotic did the trick for the toots!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Awww poor TT. I hope he does better on canned.
L4H - TT has always been on canned. I just left half a cup of Tasts of the Wild dry too. I figured between the five of them it wasn't much. Most days I throw out half of it at the end of the day.

We had a vomit free night last night!!!! Now let's hope it keeps up.

Now we have a different problem. I noticed a couple of days ago TT had a small bald patch on his neck. I thought it was from fighting with his cousins or sister. I checked last night and it has gotten bigger. So.... another vet visit is in order I suppose. The skin under is clear except for a little pin prick. I am wondering if on our trips outside he has managed to pick up fleas and has allergies. Or - still food issues.
Not at the end of our experience yet.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
L4H - TT has always been on canned. I just left half a cup of Tasts of the Wild dry too. I figured between the five of them it wasn't much. Most days I throw out half of it at the end of the day.

We had a vomit free night last night!!!! Now let's hope it keeps up.

Now we have a different problem. I noticed a couple of days ago TT had a small bald patch on his neck. I thought it was from fighting with his cousins or sister. I checked last night and it has gotten bigger. So.... another vet visit is in order I suppose. The skin under is clear except for a little pin prick. I am wondering if on our trips outside he has managed to pick up fleas and has allergies. Or - still food issues.
Not at the end of our experience yet.
14+, I'm glad he had a vomit free night.

That bald patch sounds like what Vlad had a few months back. He had one on the top of his head and his neck, and they also had like a pinprick. I had also thought he might have just been on the wrong end of Oksana's paw.

When I took him to the vet she gave me some cream, I can't remember what it was, but she also told me I could use the neosporin cream. I had managed to get some sulfur soap and washed the patches 2-3 times a day with the soap and put a thin coating of the neosporin on him. Within a few days his hair was starting to grow back. I kept it up for a couple of weeks until all his hair grew back. Maybe you can try that until you are able to see the vet. The sulfur soap won't hurt him, it's like what they use for those dips.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww TT,Chico sometimes has a couple of bald spots,but he's chewed them bald himself.
Vet gave me some cream Variton(or something like that).
The hair grows back,but he'll be doing it again when he gets jealous of Vinnie....he think's we should get rid of Vinnie.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope TT's bald patch is sumthin simple If it's not one thing, it's another, eh?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM
-

Aww, geeze, when it rains it pours ....poor Timmy.

I hope everything is resolved soon.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

ack sorry to hear about the bald patch!

Poor timmy!

Im glad he hasnt vomitted tho.

I hope the vet has answers for u

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Well, I go to see the new vet tomorrow. Not the one I wanted. She is on holidays this week. But maybe one who will give me some answers or new ideas. I am really hoping they don't try to push Hill's on me. I will probably make some smart a$$ remark about how bad it is for cats. Won't be a good way to start a relationship with a new vet office.
Old April 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good luck, 14+.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
-

I hope you find some answers tomorrow ....maybe you'll luck out and get a vet that knows something about nutrition.
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck. I hope the new vet can give you some clue of what's going on with the little guy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Good luck with the new vet tomorrow, 14+! TT, you be a good kitty!!

Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
Senior Contributor

It's so frustrating not knowing and putting your babies through all kinds of testing,but there is no other way,to get him better unfortunately:sad:
Hopefully you'll like the new vet and they are not too expensive.
My new vet(not so new anymore)has not once suggested the vet-food,he seems ok with the Wellness food,probably knows I would never feed my cats the crappy food they sell.
Good luck with little TT todayit's something that can be easily fixed
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
150% PRO S/N

Angry

Well, basically that was a waste of time. She thinks he needs to be put on a gastro food. 3 guesses what that food is.
This is not the vet I wanted to see. She is on holidays. I don't know if I will go back.
I was "cautioned" about believing the things I read on the internet. I was told if people do not have a degree in animal science, animal nutrition, or are not a vet that they do not know anything so beware of what I believe.
She wants to see medical reports about certain foods being bad for cats... (wheat, corn). She wanted medical proof that mineral oil is not great for cats. With the corn and wheats she said that cats eat mice and therefore the contents of their stomach. I said yes I agree they eat mice. However, the contents of a mouse's stomach is very small. I could also have pointed out that very seldom do the cats eat the stomach or intestines of a mouse. I certainly have seen lots of proof of that around here. But I am not a vet so I know nothing.
She wanted me to put TT in a room on his own for two weeks and feed him MediCal only to see if it would help his stomach issues. He had a good night last night too so I am thinking the Taste of the Wild was the issue. The bald spots on his neck she thinks is from a scratch.
I guess I need to learn to shut up when I go to a vet and not voice my opinion. I also guess I should have bought their stupid bag of food. First ingredient - chicken meal.
Cost of visit - $73.40

Last edited by 14+kitties; April 22nd, 2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nope...you need to talk louder. There are medical reports out there...maybe you should send her a bundle of them!

I hate that "I went to college so I know it all" attitude. Also the "I'm the vet and I know what's good for your animal--so we'll start them on this and you have no say in it" attitude. We've made very vocal complaints about vets with such attitudes and refused to book with them again--and it's convenient, of course, if they work at a clinic, cuz then you can drop a word to the wise with the owner...

Hope she was at least right about the scratch!

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

14+, I wonder what she would have said if you asked her how much nutritional training she's had.

I remember when I was asking my vet about raw. She was neither for or against it, but she has always been very open to reading anything I bring her, which is one of the reasons I really love taking my gang to her. Sounds like this vet thinks she knows everything.

I think you should try sticking with giving him probiotics/yogurt and stop giving him the food in question. When mine had their bacteria issues, I suspect it was the Merrick, so it could very well be TT just got a bad batch of food and it was affecting him.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,exactly what I got every time I went to my old vet,does she even know how many cats you have,how many cats you've rescued???
No,you should not have bought there food,you know that very well,my old ones had the same attitude,like,"you have only had cats most of your life,what do you know about cats"
When I bought a bag of Go Natural dry,with Lamb,Rocky threw up every time he ate it,I discontinued it and he's been fine ever since,so no dry food period anymore.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Nope...you need to talk louder. There are medical reports out there...maybe you should send her a bundle of them!

I am printing out the cat info.org one. It is a great site. She wanted information that was written in a medical journal, by a cat nutritionalist or a vet. She got one. I hope to find tons more info to take to her too. Especially one that has firm information about why mineral oil is not good for cats. I have some small things but unfortunately it's all from forums. She won't believe that. I can take her this info. I can't make her read it though. I have a feeling she is a firm Hill's advocate.

I hate that "I went to college so I know it all" attitude. Also the "I'm the vet and I know what's good for your animal--so we'll start them on this and you have no say in it" attitude. We've made very vocal complaints about vets with such attitudes and refused to book with them again--and it's convenient, of course, if they work at a clinic, cuz then you can drop a word to the wise with the owner...

I told her one of our members has done 6+ years of research on feeding cats. She asked if she was a vet or a nutritionalist. I said no but the research she has done has been written by the same. She just rolled her eyes.
Hope she was at least right about the scratch!

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
14+, I wonder what she would have said if you asked her how much nutritional training she's had.

I was tempted but didn't think my being hefted out of their office by the seat of my pants would be a pretty sight.

I remember when I was asking my vet about raw. She was neither for or against it, but she has always been very open to reading anything I bring her, which is one of the reasons I really love taking my gang to her. Sounds like this vet thinks she knows everything.

I think you should try sticking with giving him probiotics/yogurt and stop giving him the food in question. When mine had their bacteria issues, I suspect it was the Merrick, so it could very well be TT just got a bad batch of food and it was affecting him.
She said I could keep giving him the probiotics. I felt like saying thanks, I was going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
14+,exactly what I got every time I went to my old vet,does she even know how many cats you have,how many cats you've rescued???
No,you should not have bought there food,you know that very well,my old ones had the same attitude,like,"you have only had cats most of your life,what do you know about cats"
When I bought a bag of Go Natural dry,with Lamb,Rocky threw up every time he ate it,I discontinued it and he's been fine ever since,so no dry food period anymore.
She went on and on about how when the food recall happened Hill's paid to have every cat that ate it tested to make sure they were healthy; about how they pulled all their food voluntarily; about not having one single cat die out of that whole fiasco. What can you say to someone who is that hoodwinked?

I think I was too hard on my old vet. At least he doesn't push the crap food on me. Not to mention his fees are considerably cheaper. $53 for an office visit.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post

She went on and on about how when the food recall happened Hill's paid to have every cat that ate it tested to make sure they were healthy; about how they pulled all their food voluntarily; about not having one single cat die out of that whole fiasco. What can you say to someone who is that hoodwinked?

I think I was too hard on my old vet. At least he doesn't push the crap food on me. Not to mention his fees are considerably cheaper. $53 for an office visit.
Well yeah they pulled their food voluntarily, because they likely knew they'd be asked to pull it regardless.

About a year ago the Petco near me had some Hills Science guy in the store. They were giving away some toys and stuff so I decided to get some free stuff but wound up having to listen to the guys talk.

He asked me about my cats. When he heard Vlad weighed 17 pound his eyes bulged and told me I needed to put him on a weight maintenance plan. Um...no, I think not. When I told him Vlad looked the same as his illustration for healthy weight cat, he didn't believe me. I said he was part Maine Coone He kept trying to push the food on me but I just smiled and said I'd think about it and took his stupid samples and promptly left them on some display in the back of the store.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, I wish I had pics of Puddles before and after she changed foods from corn filled to Wellness, then onto Instinct and Raw.

Cornfilled food: greasy fur, lots of matting and furballs due to excessive shedding, lethargy, loss of muscle mass

Instinct and Raw: beautiful fur, almost no matting this spring, minimal furballs and full of zoomy energy, and developed muscle mass, yup at 12 years old she developed muscle mass.

All foster kittens: Fed Raw or Wellness/Raw diet: 100% of them had superior muscle mass to the point that 3 vets have commented on their wonderful physique. Global Pet food owners who adopt out kittens on behalf of Kingston Humane Society and Gan Humane Society notice a huge difference in my fosters over others that have been fed kibble.

That is proof enough for me

Ask the vet if she feeds her kids processed food 100% of the time, or fresh fruit, veggies and meat How would she like her children eating corn 50% of the time.

My vets have given up lecturing me about nutrition.

Stick to your guns, 14+!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feed what is best for you kitties.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Another thing, if you read the nutritional info that cats need, it all comes from raw meat and bones, not from grain or even cooked meat:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

All processed foods have to add back essential vitamins that are destroyed by cooking.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
150% PRO S/N

The thing that really got me was that she said cats are carnivors. They need meat. Then she tries selling me something that sure doesn't have "meat" in it. The comment about cats eating mice and therefore corn and wheat are ok for them......
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If read the link I attached, print it out, then highlight all the nutritional needs for cats and where those come from, she won't be able to argue with you. There are NO essential vitamins/minerals/protein/amino acids that cats need that come from plants. Even the cooking process renders some useless, therefore logically to me, cats should be eating raw meat.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks for the link L4. I am on my way now to get my more ink for my printer. I have this one bookmarked now and the other ready to go. She will still find a way to argue. Brainwashed I tell 'ya!

Just as an aside.... it is not written by vets so probably will be fluffed off. I hope she gets to the bottom of it and sees all of the references used to write it.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, but just because it wasn't written by a vet doesn't mean it is not a fact. She must know off the top of her head all the nutritional requirements of a cat because she is a "Vet" , so she can't argue with it.

Personally, I don't think vets read the ingredients or give them a second thought.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
150% PRO S/N

I am still searching for a site that gives concise info on mineral oil and the possible dangers of it as written by a vet. Of course if she doesn't recognize the name she will poo poo it anyway.
If anyone knows of such a site feel free to send it on.............
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
-

14+, would she believe a holistic veterinarian?

From http://drpollen.blogspot.com/2008/07...laxatives.html ....

Quote:
Please don’t give your cat mineral oil by mouth. Because mineral oil is odorless and tasteless, some cats accidentally inhale it into their lungs. If using mineral oil, give it as an enema.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I did a search and found this.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25521

Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
-

How about this from the Animal Health Care website which is establised by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association ....

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/conte...tion+treatment

Quote:
Do not give mineral oil by mouth since it can lead to aspiration pneumonia.