Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 5th, 2014, 07:42 AM

Chronic vomiting

I'll start off by saying the vet is coming out Friday to check my cat out (and clean teeth for both of my kitties)

So having said that, my little female cat vomits more than i would consider normal for a cat, most of the time i don't find the cause and it goes away with home treatment. She's also terrified of the vet, to the point where she screams and would need to be sedated to be examined. So she gets seen when it's absolutely necessary by a lovely woman who comes out to the house.

She's been vomiting for a few days now, is off her food and last night i came home to a remaking of the exorcist, green projectile vomit everywhere! My comforter was so bad i had to throw it away.

I'm sort of at my wits end with her, she's 9 and has been like this her whole life. Does anyone else have a cat who vomits like this?

I'm hoping that on Friday the vet can find a cause, but no one else has been able too. They all say 'impaction' and 'lets give her an enema' but green bile doesn't suggest something stuck to me. I honestly hope that there's a cause and i can get medication for her but i'm not sure she could stand lots of testing without having a complete meltdown.
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Sorry you are going through this mischa91.

can you describe any additional symptoms - it will help.

- Is the cat still eating, pooping, and behaving normally (except for the vomiting). If the answer is no, then since when.

Quote:
"I'm hoping that on Friday the vet can find a cause, but no one else has been able too. They all say 'impaction' and 'lets give her an enema' "
...who is they - other vets?

Depending on your answers to these questions, I'd suggest that if you could get the vet to your place today or tomorrow - that would be way safer. Depending on your answers, this has the potential to be serious...but it might not be - but it's always best to be safe
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Sorry you are going through this mischa91.

can you describe any additional symptoms - it will help.

- Is the cat still eating, pooping, and behaving normally (except for the vomiting). If the answer is no, then since when.
She's a bit more needy than she normally is, i mean she is definitely an attention getter but the past few days i can tell she doesn't feel good, she wants cuddles and such. I can't be sure about the pooping, having 2 cats it's hard to tell who's poop is who's but i haven't noticed a decline. This past weekend i did take a way one of the litter boxes; i recently bought a very large one to accommodate my bigger cats need to stand to pee so i could stop him missing the box and since i've seen them both use the bigger box i figured it would be fine to take the smaller one away. I put it back last night in case she was missing 'her box' you know.

She didn't want to eat yesterday but seemed to want to today; normally when she has bouts of sickness i give her baby food, mostly squash variety which she loves. I take her off her wet food and giver her the baby food for a few days then reintroduce food with baby food mixed in and then back to wet food. She very rarely gets dried food because i did notice she vomited more on the dry.

...who is they - other vets?

'they' are other vets. When she was younger the vomiting scared me a lot, having never had a cat before and noticing how different her behaviour was from my other cats meant i had her to the vet a lot. Each time i'd go they'd say "probably impacted, do this and this and this and go away for a week, if it doesn't improve come back and we'll give her an enema" so i'd take her away and do home treatment and mostly she would stop vomiting, one time she didn't and i took her back and they gave her an enema and found nothing there, so poor cat has a sedated enema for nothing. So all i found was a lot of expense and no real answers as to why my cat vomits so much. I'm not made of money and every trip would run me around $200- $300.

Is it any wonder she hates vets. Now if i take her they can't even do a physical exam, she gets incredibly violent ad was classified as a 2 star cat, so a danger to herself and others. She has almost a ptsd reaction to going to the vet, so i try to minimize that stress on her as much as possible. Which is why my vet now comes to the house and i pick up sedative before she comes and plan to sedate Mischa before the vet even gets there.

Quote:
Depending on your answers to these questions, I'd suggest that if you could get the vet to your place today or tomorrow - that would be way safer. Depending on your answers, this has the potential to be serious...but it might not be - but it's always best to be safe
I've left her a message, she has to get back to me about picking up a sedative so i can talk to her about maybe an earlier appointment, i think she's all booked up though. If i can manage her at home until Friday it would be better than trying to take her somewhere new. She really needs her teeth done so could this be a reaction to mouth pain?
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM

Update.

I came home today expecting to be cleaning carpets and things again and luckily not one drop of puke! Since i've been home Mischa has been playful and cuddly and full of life. She also seems to have her appetite back, she wasn't so into eating when i first got home, had a few spoonfuls of baby food and some laxatone to help lubricate her insides in case this is a blockage but by around 8 she was running upstairs every time i moved (the cats room is upstairs and they both think that every time i move it's time to be fed).

I'm keeping a close eye on her and haven't heard back from the vet yet but if she keeps her 8 o'clock mini meal down i'm hopeful she's on the mend. I'm planning to have the vet draw bloods to be tested and give her a through exam when she's sedated and having her teeth cleaned. i'm also going to have the vet show me how to use some of the teeth cleaning tools i bought so i can stop them getting so bad in the future, i do brush her teeth but it didn't seem to stop the plaque from building.

I was so worried about her all day, but now she's looking brighter i feel a bit better and more relaxed.

This is her in case anyone was wondering.

Name:  relaxing with her friend.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  201.7 KB
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you keep your cat in a separate room with it own litter box for a couple of days so you can see if it pooping and peeing OK ? Does your cat vomit as soon as he finish eating his food?
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:06 PM

Wow what a seriously cute kitty Sorry I have no advice but sending good wishes your way. Hopefully your vet has some answers for you.
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Can you keep your cat in a separate room with it own litter box for a couple of days so you can see if it pooping and peeing OK ? Does your cat vomit as soon as he finish eating his food?

I could put her in the bathroom I guess, my house has an open floor plan and the most absurd window thing in the bedroom where she can get out.

She has been, within about 10 minutes of eating, but didn't tonight. She's managed to keep her small dinner down tonight. She didn't want to eat yesterday or this morning, so her stomach had a bit of a rest.

Hopefully the vet will have more answers and mischa will be recovered by the time she gets here. I would just like to know if there's some underlying issue I need to manage which could stop future vomit adventures.
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:17 AM

This seems like good news mischa91 - and to me it does suggest that she may be on the mend. Many of us would like to hear what the vet has to say so please do report back.

and Holy carp - what a cutie kitteh!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
This seems like good news mischa91 - and to me it does suggest that she may be on the mend. Many of us would like to hear what the vet has to say so please do report back.

and Holy carp - what a cutie kitteh!
Hi, I'll keep the thread updated when i hear what the vet thinks.

Luckily she managed to keep her breakfast down too and last night hacked up a lovely hairball so i'm hopeful that was the issue.

I'll still get blood drawn because she can't be just a cat that pukes, there has to be some underlying cause.

She's such a cutie

I looked and honestly think most of the photos i have of her look like this, she's usually so happy so i'm glad she's feeling better.

Name:  photo (72).jpg
Views: 221
Size:  186.1 KB
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:50 AM

You know once you start feeding us pics, you can't stop or we get the shakes. Just adorable!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:30 AM

Okay, i wouldn't want anyone shaking! Have a few more.

The bigger cat is Spencer, he loves his sister very much

Name:  photo (73).JPG
Views: 161
Size:  122.8 KB

Name:  photo (74).JPG
Views: 183
Size:  97.7 KB
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're adorable, mischa!! Glad to hear she seems to be better!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa91 View Post
I could put her in the bathroom I guess, my house has an open floor plan and the most absurd window thing in the bedroom where she can get out.

She has been, within about 10 minutes of eating, but didn't tonight. She's managed to keep her small dinner down tonight. She didn't want to eat yesterday or this morning, so her stomach had a bit of a rest.

Hopefully the vet will have more answers and mischa will be recovered by the time she gets here. I would just like to know if there's some underlying issue I need to manage which could stop future vomit adventures.
I was told to not feed my small dog any food for a day when he vomit so his
stomach could rest , he did get water. I was to feed him a small meal the next and see if he could hold it down .. I am not sure how this would work with a cat , he might ride you crazy meowing all day for food.
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:16 AM

haha so cute mischa91!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
They're adorable, mischa!! Glad to hear she seems to be better!
Thanks!

Quote:
I was told to not feed my small dog any food for a day when he vomit so his
stomach could rest , he did get water. I was to feed him a small meal the next and see if he could hold it down .. I am not sure how this would work with a cat , he might ride you crazy meowing all day for food.
Yeah, letting her stomach have a rest definitely helped. She's held food down yesterday and today and the vet is coming tomorrow so i'm sure we'll discuss her vomit in extensive detail while her teeth get cleaned.

Quote:
haha so cute mischa91!
Thanks, they're lovebugs!
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

That is good she was able to keep her food down, I was worried she may of had a blockage that was causing her to vomit . Pets do eat some really weird things something .
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
That is good she was able to keep her food down, I was worried she may of had a blockage that was causing her to vomit . Pets do eat some really weird things something .
She's been eating my hair off the floor which is just disgusting.

The vet thinks that her chronic vomiting is just a way for her to cleanse her system, she's a very clean and dense coated cat who cleans herself a lot and gets hair balls. She asked me tones of questions about when mischa is sick, what it looks like and all of that. She didn't think it was necessary to draw blood and gave her a thorough physical exam and said she is very healthy. So I guess
The vomiting isn't a bad thing, she think this past week mischa was in pain with her teeth so she was refusing food because of that.

Both my kitties had their teeth cleaned today, mischa was sedated before the vet arrived (and had about 20 minutes of growling under the bed while the sedative kicked in), she was under sedation for over 2 hours, apparently it affects her a lot so we'll reduce it for next time; she's still coming out of it now and is growling away in her crate. Her teeth were gross but are nice and clean now.

Spencer has an odd reaction with sedation, last time he went under fine but came out seeing pink elephants and the like and went on a 3 hour up in the air bender in their room. This time I've got him in his crate to recover and it would seem he's still seeing things that aren't there.
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:06 AM

Good news! Sounds like your kitty's tummy is on the mend. Did your vet make any recommendations to address the furballs in the future? I give my cat malt paste once a week to eliminate any vomiting. So much nicer for my cat and especially for me
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
Good news! Sounds like your kitty's tummy is on the mend. Did your vet make any recommendations to address the furballs in the future? I give my cat malt paste once a week to eliminate any vomiting. So much nicer for my cat and especially for me
She said stick to wet food which I pretty much do anyway. I'll brush them more and I've got laxatone to give them. I also got myself a few dental tools so I can keep their teeth cleaner between thorough cleanings.