Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM

Pitbull

[QUOTE=Deb's Lucky Rescue.

Unfortunately, the dog we want is not always the best one for us. I really wanted a young(puppy), brindled male pit bull, but it turned out the best dog for me was an adult, blue fawn female and I"ve never ever regretted bringing her home![/QUOTE]

I have never adopted an animal, most of my animals where strays. I'm alittle interested in what you have said above because my dog was a pitbull (she wasn't a stray I got her from a relative). How did they come to the conculsion that a pitbull was not for you?
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

fostering is a great suggestion, I highly recommend it. !!!

Also, have you thought of rescuing a greyhound? They are perfect appartment dogs.

Try not to be too dissapointed Sjat, the perfect dog will come your way soon enough, have patience.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have never adopted an animal, most of my animals where strays. I'm alittle interested in what you have said above because my dog was a pitbull (she wasn't a stray I got her from a relative). How did they come to the conculsion that a pitbull was not for you?
This was the first dog I ever adopted too. All my other animals were dumped or found stray.

No one said a pit bull wasn't for me. The dog I did adopt is a pit bull!

I decided that as much as I wanted a cute little puppy (who doesn't?) that what I wanted and what was suitable for me were two different things. At that point in time, I had to face the fact that a peeing, chewing, crying puppy and all that work that goes with it was not going to work for me.

I see that you're in Vaudreuil. Are you looking for another pit bull?

Sorry to hijack this thread!!!!
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:58 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Sjat,
I am sorry you didnt get your dog, I think the SPCA in Montreal did the right thing. We adopted a malamute husky from our local shelter about 7 years ago no questions asked they just gave him to us and asked us for the $42 adoption fee. We made a mistake adopting him in the first place our fault totally, but I can I let you know from our mistake honestly, having a husky in a regular size house with a regular sized yard is a lot of work it would be even harder in an apartment. In the end he ended up to be to much for us and we actually rehomed him (sucessfully)

We went back to the SPCA later just so the kids could see the dogs and they would have again send any dog home with us. Dogs seem to get adopted quickly at our SPCA but to right owners who knows I often see the same dog returned a few weeks later.

We have another dog now that is much more suited to our situation. In the end it ended up in a more suitable situation its just to bad he wasnt there in the beginning.

Take your time the right dog will come.
Old September 24th, 2005, 01:11 AM

Hi sjat
I know how you feel well my son went through what you are going through. He always wanted a Lab but because he lived in apartment they turned him down too. My son recently bought a house, so now he is looking forward to adopt a Lab. I am sure you'll find your soul mate LOL. Did you go to the SPCA today? They usually dont care about your living situtation and dont know squat about dogs etc.

[QUOTE=Joey.E.CockersMommy]Sjat,
I am sorry you didnt get your dog, I think the SPCA in Montreal did the right thing. QUOTE]
Joey it wasnt the SPCA that turned her down it was anoth adoption shelter.
Because like I just mention SPCA would just be happy to get rid of the dog.

Anyways Sjat goodluck, Oh and maybe I might see you at Monteregie tomorrow since I am looking for Lab for my son
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Im sorry you a disapointed at not being able to adopt Alaska - I believe the shelter has made the right decision. I have two siberian huskies - and can tell you they would be terrible in an apartment - they love to be out doors - Lucca will quite willingly lie outside all the time - if he was allowed, Mia loves the sunshine, they are very big, very boistrous and extremeley inquisitive - on the other hand they have the attention span of a gnat and get bored easily. The shedding fur is a nightmare - but I love them to bits, I have had huskies for 15 years (adopted and bought). I have a huge garden were they can run, they are also wonderful and climbing over fences and love to dig (thought I have been very lucky - they save that for when they go into kennels when I go on holiday).

There is a baby out there for you - one that is suited to living in an apartment.
Old September 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Personal servant to Joey

=Bellamj
Quote:
Joey it wasnt the SPCA that turned her down it was anoth adoption shelter
My apologies....we went and looked at some pups and dogs at the SPCA there was one we saw that we thought was adorable and seemed to have a really nice disposition.Our only criteria was to have a fenced yard. We thought we would go home and think about it and do some research on the breed which was apparently maybe a mix of cattle dog, border collie and husky the SPCA wasnt really sure. In the end we decided against it not a good mix for us she was also taken from her mother at about 6 weeks too.

That same dog and her litter made both got adopted a few days after we looked at them, her brother was returned about three weeks later. He was the more aggressive of the two of them, right away I knew he would be to much for us, I would imagine it may be why he was returned in the first place.

Yes the SPCA will adopt out easily but its important to do your own research don't just see a dog and take him home.

We were turned down on the English Cocker Spaniel list rescue for a dog, because we had young kids we waited about three weeks to found out about this dog and to be told no. It was a dissapointment but what if they had sent us this dog that wasnt good with young kids. That would be a bad situation for us and for the rescue.

Sorry to blab, but the right dog will come.http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html

I like this sight I think it gives a really honest opinion of the different breeds and even the mixed breed is mentioned here.
Old September 24th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Foxy's Canine Companions

Please let me reiterate once again that this couple were not turned down to adopt. They have neither been accepted or rejected as they have not yet applied to adopt any dog. Its important to remember this when responding to the posts.

They saw a picture on our website that is all, and called for information on the process of how to adopt.
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

As an afterthought, I think that any rescue who refuses to place a husky in an apt is not only reputable but is doing you a BIG FAVOR!!!

My sister has a husky in a small apt.

He has eaten 4 couches.
He's destroyed family pictures.
He's shredded birthcertificates and passports.

not to mention clothes, shoes, 1 leather jacket, 1 ski suit.

not to mention the vet visits that followed these episodes.

and that's aside from all the times he's escaped!!!!!

it's not about the material stuff, but a great experience sours quickly when the dog is not in his proper "niche".
I would respect their opinion and trust them with finding you a great pet.

Last edited by twinmommy; September 24th, 2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Spaniel lover=

Quote:
I am the one who spoke with your husband last night. He was not told NO for Alaska for the reason that you live in an apartment, but it was explained that she had been tried in an apartment situation and she did not do well.
I am sorry I was under the impression that they were turned down for this particular dog, because their situation was not suitable for it. I was only trying to relate a personal experience to the OP, and how people are turned down for certain dogs because the shelters/rescues /foster homes or owners don't see it has a good fit and how in the end it is for the best even though it is dissapointing at first to be told no. Which IMO is how a shelter should be run.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old September 25th, 2005, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanielLuver
Please let me reiterate once again that this couple were not turned down to adopt. They have neither been accepted or rejected as they have not yet applied to adopt any dog. Its important to remember this when responding to the posts.

They saw a picture on our website that is all, and called for information on the process of how to adopt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanielLuver
I am the one who spoke with your husband last night. He was not told NO for Alaska for the reason that you live in an apartment, but it was explained that she had been tried in an apartment situation and she did not do well.
I don't mean to cause trouble, but in one post, you say they were told "No" for this dog, but then you say they have not been rejected, that they were not turned down? I don't get it.

I understand why you would turn them down, but don't do it and say you didn't if you did. You know what I mean?
Old September 25th, 2005, 02:01 AM

End this topic.

MY God this thread seems to never end!

All I wanted to say is that I was diappointed that my chances were slim to none to get ALASKA( a Husky/LAB mix BTW), based on my living arrangments (ex:apartment/condo), which most likely played a major part of not getting her.

As for the experience, sure I never owned a dog but its not like I have never been around any. I have not had a child as of yet either but does that mean I can never give birth to one because of my lack of experience. I must start somewhere.

I know people are concerned about the well being of all dogs (which is great) but who is to say that a specific breed will or will not adapt to life in an apartment or even a house for that matter.

In my opinion it may depend all on the love and care of the owner of the dog and not so much on the living arrangment.

That is all i have to say and I hope this thread ends here.
Raven 2 yr and 5mths old black Lab

Last edited by sjat24; September 25th, 2005 at 02:06 AM.
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Foxy's Canine Companions

Prin, I suggest you re-read the quotes. I did not say I said they were told NO. If you read the post it says they were not told no.

They have neither been accepted or rejected as they have not applied to adopt. so therefore they could not have been turned down. They called for information which they received.

Its unfortunate the whole link was added naming the rescue, otherwise I would not have responded, but we all the damage that can be done to rescues.

To sjat24:
You are quite right to have to start somewhere, but with the right dog for your situation. As I said you and your husband are more than welcome to come meet us, to meet the dogs to hang out with us at the dog run for a while, to talk to the other fosters, etc. How did it go at the SPCA, did you manage to find one that would be a suitable fit?
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Thank YOU! I knew it was me.