Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products

Old December 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Doggie Wench

Dinner With The Aïkiou

I bought this a while back and have been using it both for fun when the weather isn't so great and for those of our fosters who eat way too fast. Easy to use. Just put kibble or treats in the compartments and let your dog (or cat) figure how to get them out. First timers sometimes need guidance from their humans.

The quality is very good, a hard plastic with a non-slip bottom that's very easy to wash. The dogs seem to enjoy it as well.

I have only one concern and I only noticed it tonight...Katie's first time using it. Maybe it's because her snout is short and stubby but, she was using her tongue to lift the kibble up along the sides of the compartments. In the section of the Aïkiou where the spinner is located, I was afraid her tongue would get stuck between the top of the spinner and it's compartments because the top turned slightly as she raised the kibble out. I looked carefully and the top of the spinner can be lifted about 1/2 a centimeter. The four other sliding-top compartments give me no concerns as the tops don't move while the kibble is being foraged for.

All in all, I give the Aïkiou out of 5 only because I worry about a little tongue getting stuck . I'll certainly still use it but only under supervision.

Personally, I think it should be marketed for use in cats too. I think they would have much fun with it as well.

http://www.aikiou.com/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg December 12, 2009 007.jpg (50.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg December 12, 2009 008.jpg (50.9 KB, 33 views)
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM

Small world lp.....I actually know the person who invented this gadget!
My dh cousin's best friend. I've had one of the first one's for over a year now. Haven't used it much, 'cause our dogs each want one. Only takes a few minutes for Molly and Zoe to find all the treats. Not sure if she has marketed different sizes yet....i'll have to find out. Haven't tried it on any of the foster pups yet...figured they are too young. Maybe i'll try it out tomorrow and see how they manage. Would certainly slow them down mealtime for them.
I'll certainly pass on your comment to her.
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterpat View Post
Haven't used it much, 'cause our dogs each want one.
Well, Christmas is coming .

These sort of interactive toys/products are becoming quite popular and I can see why. It's great to see some 'homemade' stuff as the products imported from Europe are quite pricey here in comparison.