Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM

Exclamation dog pees in kitchen

my dog, 7 month old lab, will whine and scratch at the back door to poop but will not when she has to pee. she ends up peeing on the kitchen floor. we have tried a bell, puppy pads and taking her out every 30 minutes but she will not stop. we have also tried crate training her but that still does not seem to help. any suggestions?
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm assuming that you've had her vet-checked and she doesn't have an underlying cause for inappropriate urination (like a UTI)? If not, that's probably a good first step.

However, some dogs just take longer than others to house train. Our Cole took 8 months before if finally 'clicked'. Just stay consistent and she'll get it. If you catch her in the act, interrupt her (a throaty "uh-uh" worked for ours) and take her outside, then praise her when she finishes outside. Watch her like a hawk and learn her signals. She's likely giving some sign that she finds to be very obvious but which can be quite subtle to us mere humans! Any time she goes outside and pees appropriately, she needs lots of praise.

What are you cleaning up the accidents with? An enzymatic cleanser formulated to neutralize urine is your best bet. If you don't eliminate the odor completely, she'll continue to pee in spots where she can smell old urine. Even if you can't smell it, chances are she can.

Good luck! It's hard to believe after all this time, but she will get it eventually. The good news is that it seems the longer they take to 'get it', the more solidly house-trained they are when they finally catch on!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshryno87 View Post
my dog, 7 month old lab, will whine and scratch at the back door to poop but will not when she has to pee. she ends up peeing on the kitchen floor. we have tried a bell, puppy pads and taking her out every 30 minutes but she will not stop. we have also tried crate training her but that still does not seem to help. any suggestions?
My dog would pant a lot when he had to go out or act restless. I guess you could try to watch your dog and try to read her body language. She might give a hint by the way she is acting. Are you using anything to remove the urine smell , that might help a little.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Some tricks you can try are: Put her bed on the pee spot. Ditto her food and water dishes. Toys too. After cleaning it of course. Dogs usually don't like to have any of those things near where they bathroom and it can help to get the idea across.
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a slow learner too. Big rewards for going pee outside. Try walking on a leash so she can relieve herself. Some dogs like to mark outside the yard, even females. And also a good tip, tell her "go pee" everytime and teach her what the command means. Mine finally gets it and pees on command, but I often have to watch her to make sure cause she especially doesn't like wet grass.

Tags
lab, labrador, pee, puppy, train