Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:47 AM

Pepto Bismol? Safe, if so how much?

Good morning all,

Well, Petey has had diarrhea since Saturday afternoon. It has bounced back and forth between almost like water and pudding like. He will eat when I give him food and he will drink as long as he gets fresh water (yes, my dog gets refrigerated bottled water just like the rest of us). However, he has not been following me around like he always does. He looks mopey and I can tell he doesnt feel good. I called the vet and he is out of the office all week. The person I spoke with (pretty sure she is a vet assistant) said to give him an adult dosage of Pepto Bismol and if he is not better by tomorrow she would refer me to another vet. Well, 2 tablespoons seems like a lot for him. He is a lab/boxer mix and weighs in at about 100 LBS. He is on soloxine and vetri-liquid drops. He is on Sentinel year round so I am not too worried about parasites. He gets all his vaccinations when due so I am not too worried about that. But we do live at an apartment complex where other dogs use the grass to do their business.

What do you think? Can I give it to him? If so, how much is really safe?

Also, how do you know when your dog is dehydrated? Petey has drank water, but I am concerned it hasnt been enough to counteract his diarrhea. His nose is a little on the dry side, but maybe this is just a symptom of whatever he has going on?

Last edited by Petey's Mommy; September 22nd, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Hi, yes you can give him pepto, i wouldn't give more than a tablespoon tho. But before you do, i would highly suggest you give him raw pumpkin first. You can get it at any grocery store(not the pie filling) It's near the pie filling but is just pure pumpkin. It should help the diarehea better than pepto will. give him a tsp or so with his food.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM

I would try the canned pumpkin and some boiled rice and chicken.Take it slow with the food and if he looks more mopey demand another vet right away.I do know several people that have given pepto but I haven't personally had to with my dogs so far.Good luck!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You may want to read this before administering any Pepto to your dog. Just to be safe.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...ate/page1.aspx

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
chronically insane.

I use Pepcid in the pills for my cats. He swallowed a stick one time and cut his throat up so he was barfing for about a week and the vet had me give him regular OTC Pepcid pills to calm his tummy down. It was 1/4 of a 10mg pill per 10lb of body weight.

So yep some OTC meds are okay

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
I use Pepcid in the pills for my cats.
Kathryn, Pepcid (antacid) is not the same as Pepto-Bismol (anti-diarrhea). So there's no confusion, never give Pepto to a cat, it contains salicylates which are toxic to felines. http://www.cathelp-online.com/emergency/hazards.php

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler