Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old February 27th, 2022, 01:43 PM

Question Daily cough and Aelurostrongylus abstrusus.

Hello everyone, I appeal to you in the hope of gathering experiences that can help me understand and solve the problem that plagues Pur, a 6-year-old European male cat, castrated with long fur. Sorry in advance for the length of the post.

Pur lives with Tom, a 4-year-old neutered male cat: both were taken from the street when young kittens. They live in an apartment and during the summer they also have access to the private garden (where, on a couple of occasions, they came into contact with local strays).

For about 4 years (in any case, before Tom's introduction), Pur has had daily coughing episodes: most of the times single (lasting about a minute), sometimes repeated 2-3 times a day in a milder form. Cough with closed mouth, without "hunger for air".

Before these episodes appeared (and before contact with strays) Pur was negative to Fip, FeLv and Fiv. Now, despite the monthly use of Nexgard Combo (or Stronghold, or Broadline), from analysis of the stool, Pur is positive for Aelurostrongylus abstrusus (lung strongyles).

I therefore hypothesized that having already been infested before, in any case, all the treatments proposed by the vets who follow him have had an effect that may be limited to one or two months, in which the cough disappears completely, but then systematically returns.
In this case, during these years, we have tried cycles of:

Marbocyl (Marbofloxacin)
Praziquantel + Emodepside
Enrofloxacin
Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid + bromelain (Ananase)
Milbemax
Doxycycline
Nexgard Combo / Strongold / Broadline (pipette)
Ventolin (currently in cough, because asthma was also hypothesized)
Aerosol with hypersaline solution

The result does not change: well-being for one to two months and then cough again (which tends to become more and more grass, with noises during normal breathing).
We recently had chest x-rays (which I attach) and fortunately, there seems to be nothing relevant.

I ask you, kindly: have you had similar experiences with a cough that is difficult to eradicate? Were you able to trace the causes and find a cure? Have you found it difficult to cure lung strongyles?

The experiences I have found involve coughs or parasites that are eradicated simply with an occasional application of Nexgard, but in the case of Pur it all seems useless.

We are now in a phase where don't know what to do, but Pur still is positive and have daily cough.
Heartfelt thanks for those who want to share their experience.

N.B. To watch the chest x-ray go
here (secure link).
Old February 28th, 2022, 08:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome!

Have the vets tried fendbendazole? I've had no experience with this particular parasite in cats, but I think strongyles may be susceptible to fendbendazole (we've used it in the dogs for various types of parasites, with good effect). Might be something to discuss with your vet.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
cat, cough, lungs, strongyles