Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Antibiotics for teeth cleaning

I take my animals to two different vets, but have had their teeth cleaned by just one because he is a little cheaper. He always sent my pet home with antibiotics after the cleaning, which I gave them for 5-7 days. I made an appointment with my other vet for our dog, and he wants her to have antibiotics for five days starting today, Friday, and will clean her teeth next Friday. I didn't get a chance to ask him, but why would you give the antibiotics before there was any work done, wouldn't bacteria get in her system more after the work was done and there was possible extractions and or bleeding? Also, does anyone use Iverhart (generic) instead of Heartgard, for heartworm. Its about ten dollars cheaper, but has there been any problems with it?
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Can't answer about the heartworm meds - heartworm isn't prevelant in my area and we only use prevention during the summer months.

For the antibiotics - if the vet saw any indication of possible infection, then when he cleaned the teeth, that infection could be allowed to get into the bloodstream. Just like a human dentist, he should not be working on teeth that are infected until the infection is cleared up.
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Skylar's Farm

Is your dog older or have a heart problem?
Most pets (and humans) don't need to take antibs for dental cleanings because the body can take care of minor bacteria entering the bloodstream. But in the case of heart problems or immune system issues it is best to be boosted with antibs.
Example: I have been taking a double dose of antibs before every dental cleaning for the past 30 yrs, that was when I was diagnosed with a heart valve problem.
I take 2 large pills one hour before the cleaning, that's it.
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Skylar's Farm

Regarding the Iverhart, maybe check the ingredients against the Heartgard brand ?
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM

My dog is eleven. The vet gives the five day antibiotics to all pets,reguardless of how the teeth look. I just would have thought it would have made more sense to give it to her the day of the cleaning, and four days after, not a week before.
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Maybe he detected a slight heart murmur or he's just being cautious. I have a heart murmur and must take anitbiotics before any work is done on my teeth.

clm
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

You would have to ask your vet for their reasoning. IMO some vets, just like human doctors, do overprescribe antibiotics. I've been sent home with antibiotics as a preventative before and I don't believe in giving them unless there's already a problem or a problem is LIKELY to appear (due to extensive surgery or something). Antibiotics will kill ALL the bacteria in their system, which is counterproductive without the presence of an infection, so there's no reason to do that. They also cause stomach upset, and why cause that unless you are actually treating something?
I just had 4 male cats neutered at a vet in town, and while she seems to be a pretty good vet, she sent me home with antibiotics which no other vet has had me give for a neuter. I didn't see a reason to give them unless an infection appeared (a neuter isn't a very invasive procedure and unless the environment it's done in is not sterile infection usually does not occur). Non-immune-compromised animals will generally fight off infections as long as they are in a non stress environment.

Unless your pet has immune issues and commonly gets infected (which is possible at 11 yrs old, and maybe that's why your vet felt the need to prescribe the antibiotics), or a heart murmur or other health issues, like clm mentioned, they shouldn't be necessary.

I am, however, not your vet, so you really do need to ask them for their reasoning before discontinuing any meds.
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM

I'm going to ask my vet when I take her in Friday. Shes eleven, but he said she has a very strong heart for her age. He gives all animals the five day antibiotics before teeth cleaning, regardless of their health or if their a cat or dog. I just feel if their going to need it it would be after, not before cleaning, will find out.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM

I noticed today when I was giving the antibiotics there were enough pills for five days before teeth cleaning, and for five days after. Isn't that major overkill? I'm definately going to ask Friday when I take her in.