Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Unhappy Weakened back/hind legs

:sad:
i'm so devasated, something is wrong with my kitty, Lucky.. he is one of the 3cats we have, and he is the youngest at 3 years old.

It was saturday night (a few day ago) when I noticed he wasn't walking almost not at all, but he still got around somehow... noticed him laying in different spots from where I put him originally but not very far. And when I would touch him back there, on his hind legs or lower back... He screams, i knew he was in pain and something was wrong. But other than that, he'd sleep and purr when i pet his head/neck/upper back.. he'd let me pick him up and hold him, snuggle with him as long as i didnt touch the "areas".

I called the vet and made an appt for first thing monday morning (today) but they didnt have any openings til 4pm. We took him in... the Vet was stumped, had no idea what was wrong with him. She decided to keep him overnight, take some xrays and such. Around 9pm (a vet that works late after everyones gone home- we were impressed) we got a call from her. She said the xrays were perfect.. everything looked good. Except for one thing she noticed... that his hindlegs were twice the size of a normal young male cat. I was really suprised to hear that, I hadnt ever noticed, my husband said he s noticed in the past, though. maybe i'm just blind.

Anyway, we have to wait until tomorrow for more information-- she put him on some steroids and pain killers and will be taking some blood work. She did mention cancer... my heart stopped when she said that, she said that sometimes cancer causes hind legs to stop working slowly. I really dont want to believe it, i'm sure it is something else...

We also have 2 other cats who are 7 years old both.... We've been feeding them all the same food for the last 2 years, the other cats are fine. I'm pretty sure its not nutritional/food related (however i could be wrong, each cat is still different to his own).

There is something i found on the internet while researching on "large hind legs" as the vet mentioned. I found a breed "Manx" they are actually known for having short to no tail at all, however it does also mention that they can still have normal length tails too, which my cat has. but the reason why this popped out to me (from wikipedia site):

(quoting) "The hind legs of a Manx are longer than the front legs, creating a continuous arch from shoulders to rump giving the cat a rounded appearance" (unquote) and also,

(quoting) "Manx Syndrome" is a colloquial name given to the condition which results when the mutant tailless gene shortens the spine too much. It can seriously damage the spinal cord and the nerves causing spina bifida as well as problems with the bowels, bladder, and digestion. Some only live for 3 years; the oldest recorded was 5. In one study it was shown to affect about 20% of Manx cats, but almost all of those cases were rumpies, which exhibit the most extreme phenotype. (unquote)

Now, i dont know the breed of my cat... we actually rescued him off the streets when he was about a month or 2 old. But from looking at some of the pictures of the Manx cats on the website-- it actually does resemble my cat somewhat except that my cat has a normal tail length. (which is confusing to me) So, the hindleg thing and the fact that he is exactly 3 years old .... could this be it??? However, almost all pictures on google of manx cats are short tailed/non-tailed. So maybe my cat is part Manx? I dunno...

Anyway, I'm really nervous... from reading all these posts on here related to weak hindlegs/back... seems like a lot of people didnt get the answers they were looking for. I'm afraid of that.

Oh one more thing, when the vet was checking lucky out.. he screamed several times when the vet was touching his hindlegs areas, she mentioned that "young males" are generally wussies. I was really bothered by that... i really think he was really actually hurting.

ANY Information or questions, PLEASE post them. I will be checking often.

I feel so helpless and worried-sick right now as he is miles away in a crate in a vet office and I'm here unable to help or comfort him.
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I have no info on what is ailing Lucky,maybe someone else does,we have a lot of kitty-people here.
If Lucky is screaming,he is obviously in pain,not a wuss,I have 3 male cats and they are not wussies.
Good Luck with Lucky
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I'm sorry I don't have any infor for you on your kitty.

Your kitty could have manx somewhere in his ancestors and could be carrying the gene that causes Manx Syndrome.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM

There are also few different possibilities that may not show up on an xray such as a pinched nerve, an embolism, a slipped disc.

let us know how Lucky's doing

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Update

Update on my precious lucky....

Unfortunately, it did turn out to be spinal cancer.

RIP Lucky 2006-2009.

He was in very awful pain... I didnt realize it until the vet told me that even that max amount of dosage of pain killers weren't enough, he was still responding to the pain. How awful is that.

I cried for like 5 hours straight today... its been a sad sad sad day. I couldnt go say goodbye... the vet said he has worsened a lot since we saw him last, he stopped eating and stopped using the litter, peeing & pooping all over himself. I decided not to go.. and to cherish the good memories I had of him. In a way I feel extremely awful and selfish about it, I couldnt handle it... I was bawling my eyes out like crazy.

The vet is going to mail me his pawprints for free... i can't wait to get it. I've been super impressed with her, she was up til 10pm on monday night working with Lucky trying to figure out the problem. And when she called, she sounded really sad. You know, its rare to find a vet like this--- u would think, after all these animals she's worked with and seen die throughout the years, she'd become emotionally unattached, but thats not the case with her at all. I trusted her completely becasue of that. I asked if she was for sure that it was spinal cancer, she said she wouldnt tell me that if she wasnt 100% sure and that all the medical journals she went through also pointed in that direction as well.

here are a few pics of my precious baby

this one is around the time when we first rescued him off the streets.

lucky and me

and more recently, lucky being his silly self as usual..

Thank you all for your caring words and wanting to help me. I appreciate it.

<3
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss

Lucky looks like quite the character...such a wise look on his face.

Lucky

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Catlover2

I'm so very sorry to hear of the outcome. How devastating....my condolences. I'm very familiar with Manx, and I don't think he had any Manx in him. Unfortunately, just one of those freakish things. I hope you'll find another wonderful kitty when you're ready.
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Lucky

Looks like he had a beautful loving life...so much more than if he had stayed on the street :sad:

Bless you for taking him in and giving him so much, right to the sad end
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM

poem

How wonderful you were, lucky
your softest fur and your loudest purrs
your love for independency yet your love for cuddling
brought me so much joy.
You hardly were ever naughty,
except for the occasional midnight snacking in the kitchen
and even i will miss that.
I'll miss your greets at the door wanting to smell where i've been
the comfort of sharing my pillow with you at night
you were so gentle and so sweet
not like any other cat i've known.
I so loved you
i couldn't stand the pain you were in
i couldnt stand letting you go,
but i did and my heart broke.
Forever in my heart, you'll remain.
I prayed to God that He would take you in, like I did
and someday I'll see you again.
Goodbye, my love.
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry. Beautiful tribute.

Peace.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

That was a beautiful tribute to Lucky,a beautiful unique looking boy
So very sorry for your loss
little boy Lucky
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:16 AM

I'm so sorry about Lucky

sweet Lucky

He's running cancer & pain free at the Rainbow Bridge now

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
-

What a beautiful poem you wrote in tribute to Lucky.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about Lucky.

What a beautiful poem you wrote for him, he sounded like a wonderful kitty.

Lucky, you are now pain free.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Thank you all for your kind and caring words.

its been two days, i'm still devastated and still find myself sobbing every now and then throughout the day... its difficult being at home all the time and not seeing him, him doing his usual things, being my little buddy. i was able to go to a friends last night and hang out with her for a few hours, it was really nice... she has a new little 4 month old kitty named lyra, she was such a precious kitty. she laid down next to me and purrred. it was really spirit lifting.

on the other hand, i'm getting frusurated with how judgemental people can be... some people have said some really mean things to me lately.. one person said to me last night "wow, you're still crying about it" and someone else today said to me "ur acting like you just lost your husband"
Helllllo! i just lost a loved one... he may be just a cat, but he was my cat and we had a bond and i loved him tons. is this normal for people to judge like that?? honestly.. when people are grieving, you shouldnt say things like that no matter what they re grieving over. broken hearts are broken hearts and its painful. is this normal? for people to be like that? and for me to still be grieving and like this?
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
CityKittyCat

I am so very very sorry for your loss.

Screw those people. Some folks just don't understand the bond that can form between people and animals.

When my cat Dinah suddenly passed away, in September I had a major nervous breakdown. Loooong story... I kept it mostly to myself, husband, and those closest to me because I knew many people could not possibly understand what this loss meant to me. They would have thought I was completely insane!

I cried for Dinah every single day for months and months. I cry still. I miss Dinah everyday and I know I always will.

It makes it soooo much harder when someone we love is taken away at a young age, violently or suddenly. Lucky was very important to you and you will always miss him and love him and that's ok.

My thoughts are with you during this terrible time.

Best,
Sarah

Fig, long haired grey tabby, 7 yrs
Moxie Pop, short haired grey tabby, 9 months
Dinah, short haired tortie/tabby mix, 7 yrs, RIP
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
CityKittyCat

Sorry, one more thing I meant to add:

Yes, of course it is ok to keep grieving. Everyone has a different process and the length will vary, but it's only been 2 days, of course you're still upset! Those people who said those things to you suck.

There are many things you can do to honor little Lucky. The paw print is a wonderful tribute. You can make a little memorial to him or a special scrap book, etc. There are lots of web sites with ideas.

Best,
Sarah

Fig, long haired grey tabby, 7 yrs
Moxie Pop, short haired grey tabby, 9 months
Dinah, short haired tortie/tabby mix, 7 yrs, RIP
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM

thank you sarah... i appreciate your words. i feel comforted knowing that i'm not insane or obsessed. i cant wait to get the paw prints, i want to put it together with the poem i wrote along with some pictures of him.
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

eyemadreamer,you know,we are the lucky ones,the ones that feel compassion and love for our animals and get it back 10-fold,nobody will ever understand,unless they have experienced it.
I know everyone on this Forum understand and grieve with you.
Like I always say,these little guys are small in stature,but leave a huge paw-print on our heart once they are gone.:sad:
If anyone comments on how short or long your grieving period should be,just let it pass over your head,they'll never understand.
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

eyemadreamer, don't let those people get to you, they have never had the fortunate experience of unconditional love from a pet. I feel sad for them, really as they are missing out on so much.

Like chico said, the members on this forum understand. Take all the time you need to grieve and don't let anybody bring you down. If they do, just come on here and rant, we will listen.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

eyemadreamer,

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lucky, run free at Rainbow Bridge

grief is a testimony to our love, don't let anyone belittle you or demean you for it.
Thank you for giving Lucky a loving safe home.