Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM

A Canadian Dog food that doesn't seem to be affected...

NUTRAM

Quote:
Response to Precautionary Dog and Cat Food Recall

Nutram Pet Products, a division of Maple Lodge Farms is a family owned pet food manufacturer located in Beamsville, Ontario. As manufacturers of dry complete dog and cat diets, we follow strict quality control procedures to ensure the safety of all products. Both incoming ingredients and finished pet food products are monitored for chemical and biological contaminants. Nutram uses both in-house testing equipment and a federally certified, food grade laboratory to evaluate all products. Nutram Pet Products is not affected by this recall.

For further information about this voluntary recall please visit www.menufoods.com/recall. A complete list of all the wet pet food products affected can be found there, listed by brand name, as well as additional contact information.

Consumers with any specific questions about the safety or quality of Nutram products should feel free to contact us at 1-800-477-5713 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm EST, or by email at info@nutram.com.
http://www.nutram.com/
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I can't believe how many people are still clueless about the recall :sad: . I was working at a client yesterday and two employees have cats and neither one had heard anything about it . Luckily they weren't eating anything on the recall list but I told them to make sure they passed the word along.

Sad, isn't it. :sad: I've also come across people like that. :sad:
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Friend View Post
A Canadian Dog food that doesn't seem to be affected...

NUTRAM

http://www.nutram.com/

Nutram is not a very good dog food. Check out the ingredients.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
-

Icy, your link to the video didn't work so I retyped it:

http://www.abclocal.go.com/wls/story...mer&id=5143790

At least they said "other petsites are reporting higher numbers".
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Nutram is not a very good dog food. Check out the ingredients.
Which ingredients are bad?
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
-

This is the Chicken & Rice Adult:

Ingredients:

Chicken meal, ground rice, select whole grain corn, chicken fat (preserved with Vitamin E), dried beet pulp, flaxseed, chicken, chicken digest, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, lecithin, dried whole egg, choline chloride, Vitamin C, chicory root extract (a source of FOS), dried cheese, yucca schidigera, glucosamine, chondroitin, marigold extract (a source of Lutein), Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K (menadione), Vitamin B12, riboflavin, niacin,

d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, biotin, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, beta carotene, cobalt proteinate, sodium selenite.

1. It has menadione in it which cause free radicals that can lead to cancer. It is banned for human consumption and most of the better quality dog foods no longer have it.

2. Chicken digest is gross.

3. Dried beet pulp is a stool hardener

4. I, personally, don't like to see corn of any form in dog food.

Also, this thread is supposed to be about the Menu Recall. If you have any more questions please start a thread in the pet food forum. Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post

This is the Chicken & Rice Adult:

Ingredients:

Chicken meal, ground rice, select whole grain corn, chicken fat (preserved with Vitamin E), dried beet pulp, flaxseed, chicken, chicken digest, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, lecithin, dried whole egg, choline chloride, Vitamin C, chicory root extract (a source of FOS), dried cheese, yucca schidigera, glucosamine, chondroitin, marigold extract (a source of Lutein), Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K (menadione), Vitamin B12, riboflavin, niacin,

d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, biotin, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, beta carotene, cobalt proteinate, sodium selenite.

1. It has menadione in it which cause free radicals that can lead to cancer. It is banned for human consumption and most of the better quality dog foods no longer have it.

2. Chicken digest is gross.

3. Dried beet pulp is a stool hardener

4. I, personally, don't like to see corn of any form in dog food.

Also, this thread is supposed to be about the Menu Recall. If you have any more questions please start a thread in the pet food forum. Thanks.

I was just posting like the others who said which dog food was not affected by the recall and mentioned Nutram as I know there are members on here who purchase this food for their pets. Sorry to go off topic but was curious about YOUR comment on what's bad about that food.
No need to get snooty. I'll shut up now.
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Icy,I think the reporter still got the point across,that there are many more deaths out there.
Petunia was a sweet kitty,so sorry:sad:
Fluffy is beautiful that he will be ok!!
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Thanks Rainbow! I was so out of it when I posted.

TeriM: Fluffy is eating and acting normal. Had just 1 day of vomit and no eating, then straight to vet for blood test. She goes back for another blood test in 1 week, next Wednesday. My crash course on kidney failure/issues helped me figure out what to look for on her blood test results. If I got it right, her B.U.N. and Creatinine are way too high & her phosphorus is way too low, not in an acceptable range. There are other things out of range, but have no clue what it all means.

dog/cat food: I am in the process of switching from dry Natural Balance over to Canidae & Felidae. Anyone familiar with this brand?
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Icy...are you sure that her phosphorus is too low? I have my dog with kidney failure on a low protein/phosphorus diet because both can overwork the kidneys. Maybe with poison, things are affected differently?
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM

I went to take another look to make sure I said it right about the Phosphorus. This is what her chart says.
result is 2.9
The reference/normal range is: 3.0 - 7.0 mg/dl

Vet said he is concerned about her level. I take that to mean her Phosphorus is low, right?

He recommended Fancy Feast for 1 week, then recheck blood.
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:24 PM

I think it depends on the range of that lab in particular. My vet uses Antech Diagnostics and they show their normal range to be 2.5 to 6.0 for dogs. I don't know what it would be for cats at this center. I have noticed that different labs have different ranges even for the same species. I am surprised that with kidney failure, your pet's phosphorus level is reading at a lower than normal level. My dog that is in kidney failure is in the normal range but I have to watch to make sure it doesn't get too high. She will eventually go on phospate binders.
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Please keep this thread about the recall. Questions about particular foods unrelated to the recall and feeding questions should be posted in new threads in the Dog and Cat Food Forum.

Thank you.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
-

Thanks, White Wolf.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Icy!

I'm so sorry you lost Petunia, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for Fluffy.
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM

I'm sorry that I got off the topic. My pets came down with renal failure last month and they were eating the food that was recalled, the package matched the recalled food description on the site. I guess I was trying to figure out if it might not have been the food if the lab work is different. I still don't know if they're condition was caused by the food but it's strange that they both showed kidney problems at the same time. Even though Pepper's numbers have not gone any higher I can't help but wonder if she did indeed eat some of the tainted food.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:29 PM
-

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your dogs and I hope they have a full recovery.

I don't think that you went off topic as your dog food is related to the recall. If you were feeding them recalled food why are you unsure if the food is the cause? What does your vet say? I hope you have kept all the packaging with the dates and code numbers.

Have you reported this to Menu Foods and the FDA? Also, www.petconnection.com is keeping track of all sick pets as well as those that have died as a result of this terrible tragedy so please report with them as well.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Thank you Rainbow. I am working with a "small town" vet who believes that most of this is over-reaction by the media. Please understand, this vet has alot of wonderful qualities too. I love the way he interacts with the owners and their pets which has always been a quality that I look for in a vet. He has been telling me that he has not been notified by any authorities on this food situation. I guess it takes awhile for information to get to the smaller towns. I'm not sure that I can actually prove that it is because of the food since Pepper's numbers didn't go up even though she had eaten this food for a month after the first blood work. I also don't have any previous current blood work to compare it to since it's been a few years. The blood work we did last month was just a part of a health check I needed to do since it had been so long. I tried to contact Menu Foods and Nutro previously but could never get through. I'm not sure that I would have my vet's support if I were to contact any of the other agencies. I could travel out of town to get another vet's opinion but I don't know if it's too late since I've already gone this far with my current vet. I do still have a package of this food and a couple of my receipts, not all of them.
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM

I wanted to mention that Honey, one of my other dogs also showed high BUN and Creatinine numbers las month (BUN 65 Creatinine 2.6) and I immediately took her off of the food which I didn't know at the time was tainted. Pepper remained on it for another month and her numbers are higher than normal but didn't change even though she remained on the food until the recall. I have since brought Honey's numbers down to BUN 55 Creatinine 1.9 which are still over normal range and she has permanent kidney failure. The numbers came down because the kidneys are not being worked as hard on this home-made kidney diet.
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM
-

I know the media can go overboard at times but I really think your vet should be a little more open to this. Make sure you keep the packaging, etc. and keep trying to get hold of Nutro and Menu Foods.

I would also go to www.petconnection.com and list your information with them. Try contacting them and maybe they can help with your questions.

Fingers crossed for Pepper and Honey.
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I will try that....thanks so much Rainbow!
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
-

Keep us posted and good luck.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Recall on pigs ears

I haven't seen you guys mention this yet but it seems there is now a recall on pigs ears from Chile. Go to the site for the American Veterinary Medical Association :http://www.avma.org/
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Ha! I'm watching the Toronto news (don't ask me why...I'm too lazy to turn the channel I guess). They just had a bit on the food recall. So, they had a good little blurb about how to read the ingredients in dry food for people looking for different foods. And then the report went to s**t when the vet came on. Advising people against raw or home cooked diets, because pets may need special diets...blah blah blah. BECAUSE CRAPPY DOG FOOD MADE THEM THAT WAY!!!!

Did I post this in the wrong spot?? Sorry if I did
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM

This isn't the place for homemade pet food advocacy. Please start another thread.
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirIntake View Post
This isn't the place for homemade pet food advocacy. Please start another thread.
Mocha's Mom was relating a news story she saw regarding the recalled pet food, and vets comments included in the piece. Her comments should not be misconstrued as anything other than being related to the food recall.

Old March 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM
-

The numbers are climbing. Over 2,000 have now been reported to www.petconnection.com :sad:
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:38 PM

2000 is just horrible. There's also one woman that got sick after eating some herself (trying to convince her dog that it was people food). That woman may be the key to a successful lawsuit as the law actually values her life.
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirIntake View Post
2000 is just horrible. There's also one woman that got sick after eating some herself (trying to convince her dog that it was people food). That woman may be the key to a successful lawsuit as the law actually values her life.
:sad: so sad, and gross
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:00 PM
-

The FDA is doing another "Friday" news conference tomorrow.