Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Unhappy unkown cause of cat urination on clothing

Shadow is two years old and has persistently peed in my dirty laundry basket since day one. He uses his litter box for #2, and it is scooped every day and changed once a week. I do have another male cat, but Shadow doesn't seem to mind using the litter box to poo in, so I don't think this issue has anything to do with the litter box. He does have a history of abuse (please see my intro thread in introductions for his story). But he seems quite content now, so I'm not sure what to do. They are both neutered males, and Chester always uses the litter box. I have taken him (Shadow) to the vet, and he does not have any underlying medical conditions that would explain his actions. I have literally tried everything, from putting the laundry basket in places he does not have access to (then he just pees on anything in my bedroom), to giving him more affection when he has "accidents" to rubbing his nose in his own urine (which I am NOT proud to admit). I have NEVER hit or physically abused Shadow in any way. I would just like to know if there is anything else I can try, as I have fallen to just letting him pee in the laundry basket as opposed to my bed or dresser legs. I will NEVER get rid of Shadow, even if he keeps peeing on things forever, but it is so frustrating, and I am willing to try anything. A friend has recently recommended trying homeopathic tissue salts for calming, because she thinks he still might be traumatized, but I don't know if thats safe or not. If ANYBODY has ANY suggestions, I am more than willing to try them out. Thanks for your support!
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:48 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Welcome and sorry you're having so many problems with Shadow. First and foremost, stop rubbing his nose in the pee, cats do not respond the same way as humans and dogs to punishment, so chances are you're making him physically afraid of you rather than helping him to avoid the behaviour. Secondly, thanks for taking him to the vet to rule out an infection. Did your vet test for crystals of any type as well? I would also recommend getting a second litter box and seeing if he uses that. He may not be all that thrilled to smell the urine of your other cat, even though they get on well. Lastly, a product called Natures Miracle is an enzyme cleaner available at just about every major chain pet store, and does wonders for pee spots, beyond our human noses picking up the scent. Rescue Remedy is also an option (herbal calming supplement). Hopefully all the cat owners will jump in here with their suggestions, I currently have dogs but have been the proud waitstaff of kitties in the past. Good luck and keep us posted

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a female cat that does that. She usually does it when she is or feels threatened and she mark everything in sight, usually a heap of clothes that my kids put down on the floor. I think in my case, Chrunchie is just marking her territory. We have 5 cats, so Chrunchie tends to be very protective of her area. Good luck. Maybe Shadow will eventually come to realize that his rooms are not in any threat of being invaded.
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

The smell of perspiration is very attractive to cats, and they often pee on things that smell of it.

Keep your laundry out of reach or get a covered laundry hamper. Simple.

Quote:
to rubbing his nose in his own urine
When cats pee outside the box they always have a reason for it.

This is abuse and abuse usually backfires with cats, making any behavioral problems much worse.
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:41 PM

How many litterboxes do you have? Some cats refuse to pee in the same place they poop.
Old April 24th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

That is true with my cats,poop in one pee in the other
If you have not already,get another litter box and put it in the laundry-room and keep your laundrybasket up high where Shadow cannot go.
The same as people who have suffered abuse,he might have some issues,but hopefully with time and lots of love he'll feel safe.
I have a male neutered cat who sprays inside,especially if he gets excited about something,but like you,I would never even consider"getting rid of"him,I love him too much.
Instead we have removed carpeting and all kinds of things that were inviting to him to spray on,dirty clothes in a hamper were certaily one of his targets.
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys!

I think I will try the two litter boxes first, I already have two, but I guess I never thought that he might want one for each, umm, movement.
For Lucky Rescue:
My Grandmother told me to try rubbing his nose in his pee, so I did it once. I felt so sad and ashamed after, I have never done it since. My overall philosophy is if it feels good, do it. And if it feels wrong don't.
Like you have suggested, I have taken access to the laundry basket away from him, but then he just pees somewhere else in my room. He does not only pee on things I have worn. He has also peed on clean laundry a few times (perhaps there is still some smell that cats can smell on it???).
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:14 PM
-

kristi - sorry to hear about your problem.

I was also going to suggest two litterboxes. I have two cats and two litterboxes side by side and it works for us.

Let us know what happens. If having them side by side doesn't work, try putting one in your bedroom for Shadow.
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess your action will give you a re-action. i know it took me over a year to figure out how I could stop Chrunchie from peeing on our clothes. I realized that she does not like other cats. Period. She likes things to have her own smell. She loves my son's bedroom and I make sure the other cats stay away. Sure enough as soon as a cat ventures into her room she will go and pee (mark ) the area. We have had many litter boxes and it never worked for Chrunchie. I hope it works for you. Good luck
Old April 25th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Cool

YES!! Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself here, but I put the other litter box down yesterday and there is pee in it today...NO pee in my laundry basket today! THANKYOU GUYS SO MUCH!!! I hope he continues to use it. It was so simple.
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:04 PM
-

Hey, that's Good News Good boy Shadow....hope he continues to use it.
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Good Boy,beautiful Shadow lets keep our that it continues