Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM

Unhappy Cat with UTI

Hey guys,

I just got my cat back from the vet, she kept him there for seven days because he had a UTI and would not take his tablets, so he had to get antibiotic shots instead, now since he's home he yowls quite loudly, it's not a meow mind you but a full deep throat yowl, and it's constant I've rarely heard him do this before. also today he would just visit his litter box briefly and when I went to check he hadn't pee'd, but he's been peeing in very small quantities around the house, any ideas would be greatly appreciated !
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try to buy some salt free beef or chicken broth and adding some to water and mixing some water into his food so he is getting enough water. If you measure the water before putting it in the cat bowl then measure the water later in the day you'll get an idea how much water he is drinking . If he drinking a lot of water and not peeing you need to call the vet and if he drinking no water he'll need to have an IV . I am sorry to hear your cat is ill. You may want to check with your vet to see if it OK to give your cat the broth .
I had to put broth in my dog water when he was not drinking enough water.
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:25 PM

Hi:

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your problems, maybe with some more information we might be able to shed some light on it. What is the age of your cat? What type of food is he on? Did the vet give you any idea what the urinary tract infection was from? There are several things that can cause it and she should have identified the problem to you. Did she do a urine sample test, and were you able to get the results? If so would you mind sharing the results with us, it would make it easier to get to the bottom of it, and if there was some blood work done the results from that would help also. Have you noticed any blood in his urine?

We have a group on this forum that are quite knowledgeable on urinary tract problems in cats, and these are some of the questions they would like to know.

With him urinating outside the litter box is a sign that the problem hasn't been rectified, and that he is suffering pain. Usually what happens in a case like this is if they are suffering pain when passing urine for some reason they relate it to the litter box, hence the markings all over the house. You are saying he is only passing small amounts. This is also a sign that things are not right, along with the yelling is a sign of pain.

With this being a male cat it can be extremely serious because the urethra tube is small to start with and there is a restriction where it joins the back of the penis. If he is suffering from crystals he could end up with a blockage in the urinary tract, and this has been known to be fatal.

If it was me I think I would be getting in touch with the vets office or seeing if they had an emergency number, and give them a call. Tell them what's going on and see what they suggest. Depending on what is causing the trouble the cat should have been out of pain within 2 or 3 days at the outside, I would think.

Keep us informed.
Old June 15th, 2013, 08:32 PM

Hi Chevymaro92 - welcome to the forum!

Those symptoms tell me that he really needs to be seen by a competent Vet as soon as you can get him in.....

I can't believe he was hospitalized for a week, then discharged still unwell.

Is there a cat-only Vet clinic close by?

If not, you could start to look right here: Find a Feline Practitioner

I'm also thinking that he's experiencing pain as well - the unusual vocalization might well be a symptom.

What were his original symptoms (before the hospital stay)? Was he urinating outside the box and vocal then too?
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

That's not good that he's doing that for sure! What exactly was the vet doing for him for 7 days? I have had an antibiotic for my one cat that was very easy to give. Very small and flavoured so he was pretty easy to give them to and he's a big boy with a very big head, so if he doesn't want something, it's not easy to convince him. These were alot easier to deal with. He only stayed overnight so they could get a urine sample.
Old June 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM

Well he's around 2 years of age, he's on a predominantly dry food diet, no we did not go for any blood work or urine culture, she did however say that there was no need to consider surgery, he's reduced his yowling but its still there, I've read on some forums that cats yowl due to stress or or as a way of calming themselves down, can this be the case ? since he stayed at the vet clinic for quite a while or should I take him to a different vet for another opinion ?
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Goodness, I would try another vet! I would try to replace at least part of his food with canned and try to get more water into him. How would the vet know that he had a UTI without at least a urinalysis!
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:37 PM

Hi:

Thank you for keeping us informed. I hope the little fellow is starting to settle down now, and is starting to use the litter box. I hope his urine flow is getting back to normal.

It is quite surprising that the vet didn't do a urine culture to determine bacteria count before prescribing antibiotics. I assume the way you speak that she mustn't have done even a basic urine culture. She had the animal for 7 days I would think she would've been able to have collected a urine sample in that time and done a basic urine test to be able to give you some ideas what the problem was. I do the basic urinalysis test at home on my 5 cats including microscopic and specific gravity, and if I get a hint of any problem, it's off to the vets. I think if I were you I would be going after the vet to get reports on what had been done, and start a health file for him in case they might be needed somewhere down the road by another vet if something else arises. All 5 of our cats have their own files in my drawer.

I would have to go along with pattymac on trying to get the little guy onto wet food whether it be canned or raw it's a far cry from the dry kibble, and so much healthier, and it's getting more moisture into the body. Something else might want to think about is a water fountain. I use one with my cats and find they consume more water from it than they do from a bowl which helps to reduce the chance of urinary tract trouble.

As far as getting another vet's opinion, that's your call. I think if it was me, I would be giving it serious consideration, and that's another reason for having the previous work records to show to a new vet, if you so do decide.

Tags
cat, meowing, uti, vet