Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 30th, 2016, 12:33 AM

Unhappy please help!! first time dealing with a URI in my cat!

hey guys, so i got a new kitten about 5 days ago... she looked fine and absolutely adorable, but because she got driven 2 hours and an overnight trip just to come to me, she had a long nap and when she woke up her nose was drippy sorta cloudy looking discharge. i had to wait 2 days to see a vet as it was easter weekend and it was only open on saturday... well i took her to the vet and the vet said she looked healthy(minus her URI, which wasnt even that bad to begin with) so i got her first shot(vet told me to wait on rabies since we dont know if she is 12w yet or not!) and a shot of antibiotics that lasts 2 weeks. the vet actually told me i didnt need antibiotics and that she could fight this on her own(i knew she did because she had green boogers) its now been 2 days and it seemed like she was getting better yesterday but today she seems to be sneezing more... barely any nose discharge or eye discharge but she does sound stuffy. she is playing like a kitten would, eating and drinking fine-ive been watching her- and just overall doesnt seem like she is sick other then the breathing sounds. she IS NOT breathing from her mouth, just her nose. this is my first time dealing with a URI so any help would be amazing.

my questions are:
-when will i notice signs of her getting better?
-i have 2 adult cats(one was vaccinated about 3 years ago and the other isnt vaccinated at all-dont critisize as they are my bf and his gmas cats, and now that his gma passed away i plan on vaccinating them all!) my one is not stressed about my kitten being here and one is(one that has been at least vaccinated) the non vaccinated one is showing no signs of a URI, but the highly stressed one did a coulple of sneezes and scratches throughout the day, is it possible that my non vaccinated cat wont catch this? i should mention they have been in conatct with her as i had no clue the first night she was here and the vet told me quarrantining her seems pointless.
-how will she get better if she is locked away with all her germs?
-her poops look really good too, she did have the runs because of the shots so i got scared but like i said it seems to be getting wore instead of better... no 'coughing' or puking as of now, did i catch it in time?

thank you everyone, your help is so appreciated as i know nothing about this!
Old March 30th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Senior Contributor

"The main viruses and bacteria that cause URI in cats are highly contagious. An infected cat will shed contagious particles in saliva or secretions from the nose or eyes."

I found this on link it had no link , so you should careful that your other cats don't get sick too.
Old March 30th, 2016, 01:41 PM

i totally understand and im keeping baby in a room but like i said they have already been exposed. my kitten, even tho she went to the vet, seems to be getting sicker rather then better... still no throwing up but a bit more eye discharge... does it usually get worse before better?
Old March 30th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstailerxo View Post
i totally understand and im keeping baby in a room but like i said they have already been exposed. my kitten, even tho she went to the vet, seems to be getting sicker rather then better... still no throwing up but a bit more eye discharge... does it usually get worse before better?
If your cat is getting sicker that is NOT good at all and need to taken to a vet right away !
Old March 30th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
If your cat is getting sicker that is NOT good at all and need to taken to a vet right away !

i called the vet today, and she told me to only come in if they stop eating. she told me to go get some syline(dont know the spelling) and to give it to them 2 times a day. i caught her cold as it was starting so its bound to get a bit worse before it gets better. all i wanted to know is the signs of her getting better. i live 2 hours from a vet with no vehicle so its hard to just get to the vet, and i was just there on saturday. as of right now im going to try and heal them with the sources i have now, but ive been calling the vet for advice everyday.
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you try to see if there is any traveling vet around you , when I lived in
Northern California and had no phone or electric power there was a traveling vet that went around seeing if anyone pet needed medial attention . My dog had an infection and the vet took care of it .
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Was it l-lysine that your vet recommended? It's frequently used to boost kitty's immune system to fight off a URI. Make sure when you purchase it that you check with the vet again about the dosage.

I agree about the quarantine probably not being necessary--if the other cats are going to get it, they've already been exposed. Depending on what is causing the URI, your adult kitties might not be as prone to it--often, young kittens are often more vulnerable to URIs than adult cats with well-developed immune systems.

It might take a few days for your cat to feel better--but certainly if she stops eating or gets lethargic, I'd get her into the vet ASAP.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 30th, 2016, 06:36 PM

yes she did reccomend l-lysine! i went and got some when i was done on the phone with her... supposed to give my adult cats 250mg 2x a day and the kitten 125 mg 2x a day. i really hope it works! and we have no travelling vet around here! but we are getting a vet in my town in june! the one we had before had 2 offices here and in the states but they shut down here for some reason almost 2 years with no vet in my town! i mean kitten has infectes my whole place before i knew what was happening(which didnt take long) but kitten runs out the door everytime i go in to see her, and my other cat always runs in amd i only have 2 arms and eyes so its hard! i live in an apartment which probably make it worse! anyways, ive got the lysine and i hope to god it helps us, as i have 3 cats and no money or transportation!