Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Question Tick Bite and Bump

Hello,
I found a tick on my doberdoodle's muzzle about two weeks ago. I pulled it off with a tweezers and rubbed the spot with rubbing alcohol and then put neosporin on it. The tick was not engorged so I think it just latched on. when I initially found it, I was petting him and felt it on him and couldn't see it so i tried squeezing it between my fingers to pull it out. When that didnt work I separated the hairs and found this tick looking creature. I have found a couple on my dogs in the past and usually catch them quick enough that they havent latched on. When I pulled the tick off, I got some of the skin and from what I could see, the head was not in the skin. I didn't notice it until a few days ago, but I found a bump the size of a pimple on his muzzle. I am not certain it is the same spot, but I am also not certain that it isn't. We have a lot of mosquitoes right now, so should I wait a week or so before I start calling the vet? Could the bump just be the body's natural healing process from the skin i removed with tweezers?

Thanks for your insight
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

When the tick came away, did it look like it was holding a bit of skin in its mouthparts? And you're sure you got the mouthparts out?

If so, and the bump doesn't look pussy, then it's likely just a normal reaction. Our dogs often get that little bump after a tick bite--seems to be a reaction to the chemicals the tick secretes to get through the skin.

If the tick was attached for less than 24, theoretically it can't transmit Lyme's disease. However, we're beginning to suspect that anaplasmosis can be transmitted in less time--5 or 6 (I lost count after a while ) of our dogs and hubby all got it last year and as far as we know only one dog had a tick on for longer than 24 hours. So keep an eye on your dog for any odd behavior--lethargy, limping, fever, lack of appetite--just to be on the safe side.

But the lump itself wouldn't be abnormal.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Owned by goldens

Tick bite and bump

My dog had a small bump after I removed the tick. The tick was there for a few weeks before it finally went away.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Geek Club CEO

My pups have always had bumps after I pulled off ticks...they usually lasted a few months...no infection, no parts of the tick remaining, the vet said this was pretty normal.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)