Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Mini GoldenDoodle Breeders (not for me)

Hi there,

I have a friend whose family is deadset on obtaining a male mini-goldendoodle puppy. I suggested a shelter puppy, but they insist on that breed. The best I can do then is try to steer them towards a reputable breeder.

I know nothing about this breed. Does anyone know of a reputable breeder? They were looking at http://purebredbreeders.com/ in the US. Does anyone know anything about this place or an alternative place (we are located in Toronto)?
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Even better, is anyone aware of any puppies in rescue who are similar? I am big-time into rescue and it's hard for me to wrap my mind around assisting with this task, but my fear is if I let it be, they will end up with a puppy-mill dog.
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Best to look for a rescue dog. Since goldendoodles are not purebreds, you're not going to find a 'reputable' breeder for them. There are, however, probably some in rescues. someone can suggest a rescue in the Toronto area.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Goldendoodles are not a breed. They are a mix of Golden Retriever and Poodle, most still are. Some people have been trying for a while to make these dogs into an actual breeder and have been breeding Goldendoodles to Goldendoodles, but so far I am yet to hear of one responsible breeder in Ontario who does this right and health test the breeding dogs. If some one told them that they are more healthy and do not shed or are hypo alergenic, they are being misled. Since they are mixes, you can end up with any combination of traits from either of the parents. Some are more like goldens and shed a lot some are more like poodles and shed less.

They do pop up in rescues and shelters quite often. Some can be pretty energetic and people find them hard to manage and they get rid of them. If I wanted to find one in rescue, I would be looking on Petfinder.com

Perhaps show them that site and let them browse through the hundreds of dogs that are in local shelters and rescues, some are pretty darn cute, maybe they'll find some thing they like.
Old September 27th, 2011, 07:27 PM

What'dya know.. there are 4 Goldendoodle puppies available in Belleville:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20966421
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Contributor

so many people buy these mixbreeds thinking they will be hypo allergetic only to find out they have the goldens genes so off they go to rescue or the spca...sad really that others think its an actual breed and look for a "responsible" breeder, like Hazel says, if they're breeding goldens and poodles, they aren't reputable. Hopefully you can guide them towards adopting.
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I met someone that paid 1800.00 dollars for a golden doodle I know someone else that bought one and it's mostly a very small golden that sheds....
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM

Thank you. I had previously pointed that out to my friend (how they are not a breed, etc.) I understand that no truly reputable breeder would breed them. I think I at least steered him away from the idea of ordering a puppy from some internet site in another country with so many puppies available at all times. When I ask for a reputable or responsible breeder, what I'm really looking for is the lesser of evils (i.e. not a puppy mill or byb, doesn't breed a zillion of them, treats the dogs well, etc). I am still trying to steer towards adoption. I had sent them the petfinder site, including links to several individual small-breed and golden mix puppies, including the doodles in Quinte Humane. I pointed out that the THS has several puppies now and the adoption fee is $150, which would leave a lot more money for training and proper care, etc.
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

smart lady, Lilmac, send them here, we'll educate them *L*
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Good on you for at least trying. I know how frustrating it can be dealing with people so oblivious to these issues who "just" want a puppy.
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Sigh...it amazes me the "uneducated" ideas of some folks. I realise a dog may be "cute" in theory...but this mixing of different breeds of dogs, to get a "so called " "result of a whatever oodle...or some such nonseense just really pushes a button with me.
DONT THEY REALISE that mixing breeds is just "ASKING" for disaster.

With that said (and off my soap box now)....I do hope that if they INSIST upon a goldendoodle, that they at least will find one in a shelter and give it a good home. Instead of continuing to add to the "so called breeders" of these dogs pocket books, and thus propell the "so called breeders" to continue to muck up a perfectly good dog.

Sorry ...apparently I'm cranky today.
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:14 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I'm kind of curious where they got the idea that there are Mini's in this mix?
I'm sure there is a "breeder" somewhere out there that will mix them with mini poodles but at the very least you will just get a medium sized one. Unless bred down to toys over time I guess....
Odd request and I too hope they head the shelter route with this.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
owned by a BRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I met someone that paid 1800.00 dollars for a golden doodle ....
Friends of ours who live out of town,
after being put on a waiting list (!?!)
by a "very good Goldendoodle breeder,"
paid $2,500 for their puppy.

I was called in to help with some training issues.
Although quite sweet (but a bit timid),
she was (IMO) a poorly proportioned,
poorly put together dog with a terrible coat.
As a bonus, yes ... she does shed.

I think they would have been
far better off and further ahead
saving a dog from a shelter,
but it was none of my business.

They're quite happy with her;
perhaps that's all that counts.
Ignorance is, indeed, bliss.