Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 19th, 2016, 11:42 AM

Hi Everybody

My name is Sam and my dog is named Gifford. I'm happy to have found this site because Gifford is not sleeping well and I wonder if anyone has advice for me.

Thank you everybody
Old February 19th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

HI ! There are a lot of reasons a dog will have trouble sleeping , it can be aches and pains from old age or health issues or other issues . The best thing would to bring your dog for a checkup if he hasn't been to the vet recently. A photo of your dog would be nice .
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:03 AM

Thank you for the reply. The thing is Gifford sees the vet on a regular basis and even saw the vet a few months ago. He was given a blood test because I mentioned this to the vet. But after the exam and test results the vet didn't find anything so I am stumped. Gifford wakes around 4 times a night for a few minutes but when he wakes up he whimpers and that wakes me up as well.
That is the situation now and if anyone has had similar issues I would love to hear any strategies that were used.

Thank-you
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:04 AM

I will try to get a picture of Gifford.
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe he is having nightmares . Joking. Do you take out before going to bed and where does he sleep ? My dog talk a lot in his sleep , he will cry , growl or bark but sleep right though this . What kind of dog do you have ? I know my dogs sleep better when they get plenty of exercise during the day and went out before bed time . I don't what kind of day your dog has , if he left alone all day or outside a lot. There are a lot of members here that know a lot about dogs, you can to the right place . Someone else should come along soon .
Old February 21st, 2016, 01:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He could well be dreaming. Our dogs often have very vocal dreams--and with 7 of them, it can sound like a symphony some nights--or at least like a badly coordinated choir!

Does he seem to be behaving normally otherwise? Out of curiosity, what kind of blood test does one do for a 'sleeping problem'?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 21st, 2016, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
He could well be dreaming. Our dogs often have very vocal dreams--and with 7 of them, it can sound like a symphony some nights--or at least like a badly coordinated choir!

Does he seem to be behaving normally otherwise? Out of curiosity, what kind of blood test does one do for a 'sleeping problem'?
Marty would fit right in with that symphony ! He sleeps on my bed and when he talk in his sleep the movement of his body wake me up. I can't hear him but my bed bounce around . It would love to know what out dogs dream about.
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:03 PM

How old is Gifford?
Does he sleep on the floor or in a comfy bed?
Maybe he is too cold or too hot?
Does he awake multiple times every night or just some nights?
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:39 AM

Thank you for the replies and here are more details. Gifford is 3 years old and is a black poodle mix. I think the blood test was just routine to see if anything was not normal. I do give Gifford a good walk after dinner and he seems tired after. A few people said dreams which I was already thinking. I think it might be just be dreams which if that is the case, I do not have any good remedies. What do you do for dog dreams? This has been happening for months a few times each night and he sleeps on the bed.

Thank-you Everybody
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Was Gifford a rescue dog , if he was he could be having nightmare about being abused . Poodles are real smart dogs and he could need some games to plays that allow him to use his mind . I had a black Standard Poodle for a hearing dog and always teaching himself new ticks with his balls while I threw it for him. I really think your dog is having bad dreams about something if he whining in his sleep . You could try to find an acupuncturist that treat dogs and see if acupuncture treatments can help a dog sleep better. It does help people relax and sleep better so it should work with pets too.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum Gifford!
Hmm seems like members are putting on their detective hats -

Additional questions come to mind though;
What noises might dooger be hearing?
Do you live in an apartment?
Near the street?

Seems like something might be waking dooger, or indeed, this might be dog dreaming. I'd be curious to hear what other members may suggest.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you can get some video of your dog when he's making the noises at night and show your vet, it might be helpful.

If it does turn out to be dreaming, though, there isn't a lot you can do about it. Even dreams that seem to be happy ones can be very vocal. You don't want to disrupt your dog's sleep/dream cycle, just like you wouldn't want to disrupt yours, so you don't want to wake them while they're dreaming. Ear plugs for you might help if you need some undisturbed sleep.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtoty6IC0X0

You think your dog is bad about talking in his sleep check out these sleeping dogs especially the last dog .
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:06 AM

Thank-you for that fun link and for this valuable information. So far the best answer seems to be dreaming and I agree. Now I have to see if I can deal with earplugs and if I can't maybe Gifford needs to sleep in a different room. I tried to put up a photo but my pictures are big it doesn't want to work. I will try again.

Thank-you